Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Kool Kaleidoscope -- Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kool Kaleidoscope -- Ask Questions Here

Please use this Topic to ask questions about Ricky's Kool Kaleidoscope project.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

When is Ricky starting this class?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Ricky's class will be [FONT=Calibri]Monday & Friday for 2 weeks. July 26, 30 August 2, 6[/FONT]
      Barbara Black
      Huntsville AL

Comment

• Jane D. commented
        Editing a comment
        Trying to figure out how to post or add photo

I know the kits are third yard cuts but wondered if you could use fat quarters? I realize you would need more to equal the yardage, but wasn’t sure if you needed the entire width of fabric for this technique.

Comment

• Gayle L. commented
        Editing a comment
        He said it’s not recommended

I also wondered if it would be fat quarter friendly. I’m hoping to use a collection of Batiks.

Comment

Paula and Lesew, That is a good question. If you watch show 403 the way Ricky lays the templates on the strip sets it looks like to get the 6 laid out you would need the the full width of the fabric, but I could be wrong. Maybe Ricky will see your post or maybe
        Barbara could let Ricky know he has a question if he does not monitor the forum often. HelenW

Comment

[URL=filedata/fetch?id=886022&d=1626696422][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t0 Size:\t26.6 KB ID:\t886022","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"886022","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][/URL] This is how Ricky laid out his 6 templates to get them identical. The upload file made me cut it down so far you can only see a little of it, but the 6 templates are laid out on a long set strip of fabric. So I don't think you could get strip sets for 6 identical templates from fat quarters. HelenW
          If you click on the partial picture it will show the whole picture.
          Last edited by Helen W.; 07-19-2021, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I let Ricky know about this question this morning.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

The answer from Ricky is "No--fat quarters will not work for this project."
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Barbara, I had a feeling that would be the answer. HelenW

• Paula R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Barbara.

Do we need to sign up for this class? I haven't seen any info on how to participate.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                No sign up needed. Class starts Monday July 26, 10 am Pacific time. After it airs live, it remains available online. Go to the LEARN section to get the 4 dates and fabric suggestions.

The supply list includes masking tape but I just watched the first lesson and didn't hear anything about masking tape...did I miss it?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                That will come when we start working with the templates.

• Maureen R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Is the width of the 5 pairs of strata the same

• Ricky T. commented
                Editing a comment
                The strata will be WOF wide - and 7"-9" - so no, they don't have to be the same. They fall within that range

Could I tear the fabric strips? It would ensure the strips were straight of grain and would not accidentally have that dreaded 'v' at the fold if the ruler wasn't completely straight. Thank you :)

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                Editing a comment
                Michele, Just an idea. If you have trouble with the V at the folds, you could rip the two edges of the cross grain. That would give you a good straight of grain. Then fold as Ricky said. Trim the distortion
                that Barbara mentioned you get from ripping.Then make your cuts. I do that all the time, but it does waste a little fabric.
                HelenW

• Ricky T. commented
                Editing a comment
                Tearing fabric will not yield perfect-size cuts. I would not. If the fold is perfectly aligned along a line on the mat, and you cut straight, using the lines as a cutting guide, you will not have a "dreaded V"

• michele commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Helen and Ricky. I will have to be extra careful in my cuts - ha ha :).
                Helen, I do always tear the edges before cutting these days since quilt stores rotary cut yardage and it is often a crooked cut - I miss the days when the stores tore the yardage!!! The waste does aggravate me though :(.

[QUOTE=Msureen;n886141]Is the width of the 5 pairs of strata the same[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. They all just have to be between 7" and 9"
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

[QUOTE=micheleinla;n886142]Could I tear the fabric strips? It would ensure the strips were straight of grain and would not accidentally have that dreaded 'v' at the fold if the ruler wasn't completely straight. Thank you :)[/QUOTE]

I would not tear the strips. The tiny ones, 1" cut" would most likely be distorted. The strips need to be cut straight. I have written about cutting on my blog several times and there are lots of other sources on how to cut strips accurately. My blog is My Joyful Journey and can be easily found with a Search. Look in the Tutorials--one is How to Make a Quilt in 5 Easy Lessons--Part 2 shows cutting--and Perfect Piecing Like a Pro.
                Barbara Black
                Huntsville AL

Comment

• michele commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Barbara - I have found your blog and will look for your tips :). After all these years, me and long rotary cutter cuts are still not friends - ha ha!

• michele commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh Barbara.... I've always trimmed the rough edge with the ruler on the other side of where I am cutting (on the fabric) but this makes so much more sense because the fabric won't wiggle as you are cutting.

Rotary cutters had just come out when I started quilting and we were all trying to figure them out...never really took a proper class in how to rotary cut!

Thank you so much :)

are there fabrics that are too busy to use in Ricky's kool kaleidoscope. i know he mentioned stripes but what about small polka dots

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Look at Google as Ricky suggested to see the wide variety of fabrics in use. Google for Kool Kaleidoscope Ricky Tims, then select images. Small polka dots are fine.

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1084 users online. 189 members and 895 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X