Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Color Theory Class - Design

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color Theory Class - Design

Here is my current idea for block arrangement. I am going modern with gray inner borders and black outer border. I am thinking that I would use my "orphan" half-square triangle blocks in between the shoofly blocks.

Here are all my blocks. I don't think I have many options to play with the layout since I have already joined some blocks together and the quilt is already large. I think I can only look at joining/sashing ideas now and whether to add borders. I have multiple blocks because I made extras in other colours from the 3 in 1 colour tool, and I also made some pairs of blocks in red orange and its complement aqua blue. That is one of the things that has been interesting to me - the fact that there are so many tints and shades of the same colour to choose from, and that theoretically any combination that you choose should work as long as there are different values. I am inspired by Australian quilter Judy Hooworth's ideas for splitting and dividing blocks to create quilt layouts and I think I am going to continue in this way with pieced sashings. A little issue that I have is that the two big blocks are smaller than the others so that may be tricky. I think I am going to leave it with a warm half and a cool half rather than mix the blocks up.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Christine, Beautiful job on your quilt. Love the warm/ cool separate areas. Especially like that striped
      sashing to make the big blocks. If you have more of it, it could be a natural transition for a coping
      strip to make the blocks all the same size. What are the 2 different sizes that you need to fit together?
      HelenW

• Christine R. commented
      Editing a comment
      They are only a fraction smaller than the others - maybe half an inch. Will require a bit of fudging I guess.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Here is my current idea for block arrangement. I am going modern with gray inner borders and black outer border. I am thinking that I would use my "orphan" half-square triangle blocks in between the shoofly blocks.
    Kayla,
    Looks like a great layout. Why not post a picture of the the blocks along side the diagram, so we can see how it is starting to look.
    HelenW

Comment

Christine, your block arrangement is great. Mine is somewhat similar with different sizes but more scrappy colors, hopefully all in agreement. Can't wait for sashing help from Dee. She's encouraged me to start this project.

Comment

• Christine R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I think I will wait for the next design lesson too. I have ideas but it will be good to see Dee's done. That floral fabric that she has is beautiful and I can see that it will pull the blocks together really well because it has so many colours in it.

Originally posted by HelenW View Post

Kayla,
      Looks like a great layout. Why not post a picture of the the blocks along side the diagram, so we can see how it is starting to look.
      HelenW
      I will post my blocks when I have finished redoing them. I had a lot of issues with sewing on the bias, no matter how careful I would try to be, they would end up wonky. I am using the square with sewing a quarter inch on either side of the diagonal line (from corner to corner) method. This method will give me many "orphan" half square triangles but it seems what works for me.

I would also need to add two more blocks, I was thinking perhaps the Basket H (block #15) and the Air Castle (Block #1). The 9" blocks in the middle would be the Pine Tree and the Basket H. At least that's the idea right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristineReeves View Post
        They are only a fraction smaller than the others - maybe half an inch. Will require a bit of fudging I guess.
        Christine, I too use fudging, but it is a lot harder with all the points you have to deal with near the outside of the blocks. I was
        thinking you could put 1/4 inch of the black and white striped trim on the areas I marked in bright green. It might work and would
        look like a design element since you already are using it as sashing in other blocks. Helen W

Comment

• Dee C. commented
          Editing a comment
          Great Layout.

Noella here, from Quebec. This is where I am at. I like my color choices. I need to put them on my design wall to see if I can get a better placement. But I think I like this wall hanging placement.

Comment

Dee, I just watched your sashing class and heard you say you thought a picture of Christine Reeves blocks were my blocks.
          Sorry you misunderstood my picture which was in response to Christine having a problem of a couple big blocks
          being about 1/2 inch smaller than her other sections of blocks. I just put bright green lines on her picture to show where she could
          add 1/4 inch sashing to make them all the same size. Sorry to Christine for credit being given to wrong person for
          making the beautiful blocks. HelenW

Comment

I have finished the top, middle, and bottom blocks! All that's left to make are the shoofly blocks and then I can put the top together.

Comment

• Dee C. commented
              Editing a comment
              These are delightful! Well done and thank you for posting.

I learned so much about color and value placement from this class. The fabrics are not what I typically work with, but this quilt makes me happy when I look at it. Best tip - use your camera for value placement

Jan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1282 users online. 257 members and 1025 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,499  
            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X