Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

"Rules" for Wholecloth quilts

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Rules" for Wholecloth quilts

I want to make a wholecloth quilt in the 100" square range... for the queen bed in the guest/formerly daughter's room. (She moved out in '07... is it still "her" room???)

I want to use a cotton/silk blend fabric that I'll hand dye myself. It comes the usual 40" wide. Is it still an official wholecloth if I piece 3 sections together to get the "whole"?

I'm going to dye it a dark fuschia and maybe quilt with purple thread. :lol:
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

My understanding of wholecloth is that the quilt is made up of a single fabric (therefore, not pieced blocks, not appliqued). For the size you're making, it would be impossible to find a single piece of fabric that big but the fact that you are using only one fabric should qualify it as wholecloth. Will you be doing any trapunto work on it? I look forward to seeing your quilt--hope you will show it to us. I defer to the experts, but that is how I read the definition of wholecloth. Have fun with it.

Comment

It all depends on what you want to do with the quilt. If it is just for your own bed, does it really matter if it falls under one person's definition of wholecloth, but not under another's? If you want to enter it in a show, you need to read the rules of each show carefully. Some shows don't have separate categories for wholecloths so it doesn't matter what you do and you can follow your heart. Others have a single wholecloth category (or multiples depending on size but using the same definition). Still others (like MQS) have multiple wholecloth categories -- traditional and innovative. So, the best thing to do would be to look at the rules for your favorite show and follow those, then see what categories you can fit into in other shows. Oh, and the rules can change from year to year so be careful to reread the rules for your show if it takes you a couple of years to complete the quilt.

Comment

For the MQX show, the guidelines say that the only piecing on a wholecloth can be to piece the same fabric to itself to make it large enough. So in their view, yes, it's still a wholecloth if you have to put 2 or 3 sections of the exact same fabric together to make the top the right size for the quilting to be done on it. That and the binding are the only things that can be 'pieced'.

A word of caution: TEST TEST AND TEST AGAIN!! For color fastness... A friend who makes amazing silk quilts has had problems with them bleeding when she has washed out the blue marker and blocked them even though she had prewashed the fabrics multiple times. In your case, you don't want the quilt to bleed every time you wash it. Perhaps a wash with Synthrapol after dyeing and then if it's good, do a wash in Retayne to make sure it won't bleed again. Do this all before you piece the top. Don't want any surprises as this is a monumental undertaking!

FWIW The trapunto shadow wholecloth I made, which is 49 x 49, took me over 60 hours to do the cutaway and quilt. So a king sized one would surely be a labor of love masterpiece!! Can't wait to see it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
          Will you be doing any trapunto work on it?
          I don't plan on trapunto. I'm thinking either wool batting over 80/20 or just the wool. ???
          Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
          Tired.
          Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
          BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

Originally posted by rehak
            It all depends on what you want to do with the quilt. If it is just for your own bed, does it really matter if it falls under one person's definition of wholecloth, but not under another's?
            Great points! For now, I'm making it for me, my enjoyment of making it, and for the guest room. I could change my mind and enter it but then will only enter where I fit the rules. I like how you said this... and helped me think it out.
            Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
            Tired.

Comment

Originally posted by heartnsoulquilts
              For the MQX show, the guidelines say that the only piecing on a wholecloth can be to piece the same fabric to itself to make it large enough. So in their view, yes, it's still a wholecloth if you have to put 2 or 3 sections of the exact same fabric together to make the top the right size for the quilting to be done on it. That and the binding are the only things that can be 'pieced'.

A word of caution: TEST TEST AND TEST AGAIN!! For color fastness... A friend who makes amazing silk quilts has had problems with them bleeding when she has washed out the blue marker and blocked them even though she had prewashed the fabrics multiple times. In your case, you don't want the quilt to bleed every time you wash it. Perhaps a wash with Synthrapol after dyeing and then if it's good, do a wash in Retayne to make sure it won't bleed again. Do this all before you piece the top. Don't want any surprises as this is a monumental undertaking!

FWIW The trapunto shadow wholecloth I made, which is 49 x 49, took me over 60 hours to do the cutaway and quilt. So a king sized one would surely be a labor of love masterpiece!! Can't wait to see it!!
              Thanks for the clarification for the MQX show. I don't know if I'd ever enter it anywhere but that is what I wondered... does it count as wholecloth.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Synthrapol. I have done other silk blend quilts that I've dyed and washed in Syn 2x after dyeing and then after quilting. And with aiming for a darker dye, I do want to make sure I don't have bleeding later. Great reminder!
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              Tired.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1273 users online. 281 members and 992 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,203   Posts: 154,904   Members: 25312   Active Members: 1,383  
              Welcome to our newest member, Rivi Shulman-ariels00.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X