Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Metallic for through the needle

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metallic for through the needle

Does anyone have a preference for which metallic threads go though the machine from the top the best?

Amo
    UK

Hi Amo, Superior Threads do a lovely metallic range, as do Robison-Anton. Both work well on my machine, but you do need to use a metallic or top stitch needle (same needle, marketed under two different names!). Ali

Comment

Thanks Ali, I'll look into them.

Comment

I like the metallic threads that Superior Threads carries. I use a top-stitch needle with them.

Comment

I had posted in this and that, but wanted to add it here incase someone needed the info.

I am working on a quilt with metallic in both bottom and top, but was constantly breaking needles. Followed all advice but never fixed the problem. I could quilt for about an hour, then it would start up.

Someone suggested the titanium needles and that did the trick. I was able to quilt for about 6 hours yester day without changing the needle. Well I did have to change it once when I forgot that I had the single hole plate and changed settings to 1/4 ". But even then it didn't break, but ended up with a pretty good bend.

So these needles are most definately worth the 20 cents extra per needle. You find them at Superior THreads.

Cheryl

Comment

Hi Amo! I like Superiors mettalic thread the best. Just be sure you place it so the thread comes off the side towards the thread path, and not over the top of the spool, it adds twists to the thread, and causes more breaks. I like it better than poly for shine

Comment

Hi all, I've tried a number of metallic threads and I find superior absolutely the best. I also use titanium needles, and be sure to loosen your thread tension just a bit. Then it glides through like butter...even other brands that tend to break do so less with titanium needles and loosened thread tension. Cheers

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
              Betty Jo

Comment

Yes, loosen tension. It says on the site to put it at 1.0, but mine ended up being 1.8.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                Betty Jo

Comment

This discussion of metallic threads comes at a good time for me. I am in the middle of a quilt that I want to use metallic thread on. I have purchased Superior Threads black metallic to use on a black fabric and have started to experiment with quilting designs. I am disappointed in that the thread doesn't show up enough against the fabric.
                  Can I run two separate metallic threads through the same needle in the hopes that I will get a more prominent line?
                  Thanks.
                  Robin

Comment

HUMMMM!!! I don't know. You would probably have to really loosen the tension and don't put the thread through the last "hook" before it goes into the needle. That was one other thing that helped me with the tension. You will have to play and do a lot of adjusting. Also go slow. I put my machine at half speed. But most definately get the Titanium needles. THe 90/14 were too big for me, but with two metallics, you would probably need the bigger hole.

Then don't forget to take notes so you don't forget what works.

Good luck.. Cheryl

Comment

With my last order from Superior, the computer suggested that I might want to purchase some of the titanium needles. Well...I think I am never going to use another needle again. They go through fabric, even several layers, like butter and I have had NO problems at all. I think stitch for stitch, they are probably cheaper than regular needles.

Comment

I just went to a class on threads yesterday given by Pam Mostek. (Dazzling Quilts: Easy Glitz and Instant Glamour). She emphasized the importance of lowering the tension, using a vertical spool holder, going slowly and using the right needle. A lot of what she taught, we have already learned from Bob & Heather at Superior, and Pam uses a lot of Superior Threads. However, she said it depends how much you want the threads to show is how you decide which to use. If you want to see a lot of Glitz, choose a ribbon thread like Sliver by Sulky. So she will start out using polyester threads, then add the Superior Metallics and finally go back and use the Sliver in places where she needs more glitz. Now all I need to do is practice, practice, practice.

Comment

Hi
                          Like others I too like Superior metallics, if you need the thread to show up on the black fabric, have you tried using a double needle? This would give two rows of identical stitches.Of course, I don't know if they come in titanium. But I use standard topstitch or metallic needles and use some quilters aid, a silicon liquid spread down the reel and a slower speed. Thread doesnt break for me!!! Lynn

Comment

I love Superior threads but have not tried their metallics. I do, however use Madeira and their FS range, if used with a topstitch 14 needle virtually never breaks or shreds. Maggi

Comment

Some great hints there to go with the threads.

I've just ordered a taster thread pack of the Superior to see how I get on with them.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1055 users online. 164 members and 891 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X