Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Best batting for art quilting.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best batting for art quilting.

I'd like to know what is a good choice for batting in an art quilt. My last effort was successful with the applique areas being attached and quilted at the same time but the areas surrounding the appliques was too puffy for the effect I was looking for. Would a stabilizer between the top and batting have prevented this or should I use a flatter or denser batting?
    I used a very thin polyester batting, a top and back of quilting cotton.
    Thank you for any help.

Originally posted by jansyb View Post
    I'd like to know what is a good choice for batting in an art quilt. My last effort was successful with the applique areas being attached and quilted at the same time but the areas surrounding the appliques was too puffy for the effect I was looking for. Would a stabilizer between the top and batting have prevented this or should I use a flatter or denser batting?
    Thank you for any help.
    Janet, I have always used Warm and Natural 100 percent cotton. It is thinner and I have made at least 50 art quilts.
    Once or twice I wanted a really firm but rather thicker batting and I used Annies Soft and Stable.It is usually not used as a batting but because it was going to hang on a wall it worked good. I would not use it for a quilt. It is usually used for
    quilted bags etc. It really liked the look. The black one is using Warm and Natural, and the white one Soft and Stable.
    I have never used polyester batting. Do you have a picture you could post? HelenW
    CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO ENLARGE THEM

Comment

Originally posted by jansyb View Post
      Thank you for any help.
      Janet, One more comment. How did you quilt the background outside the applique. I have always heard that it should be
      quilted about the same density of stitching as the applique. If you did not quilt it, you could go back in and do some more
      quilting even if it is done. I might be able to give you some suggestions if you post a picture. HelenW

Comment

Helen I am sorry for jumping on this post. I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't. I am working on this wall quilt for a guild challenge. Way out of my comfort zone.

Would you recommend that I use the Warm and Natural for this wall quilt?

Another question I have is regarding when to quilt. I have wondered if it would be easier to quilt the background and then add the applique. This is all new to me. Looking at the picture now, it may more sense to just do a small amount of quilting around the flowers after they are appliqued.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Susan D, I do use warm and natural batting most of the time. Whether to quilt first or after the applique is on depends how big the piece is. This looks like it might be about 18 by 36 or so.
          It could be done either way. If you want to do straight line ruler work for quilting it is easier
          to do that before putting the flowers and pot on. If you are planning on just using stippling or
          loops etc, you can make the whole top then quilt it. Let me know what your quilt stitching
          plans are and maybe I can suggest a few things to consider.
          What are the rules of the challenge? Does it have a theme or requirements for fabrics etc. It might affect how you do things. I use steam a seam
          fusible for raw edge applique. It looks like you have a real good start on your project. When does it have to be done by. I would definitely stitch the flower centers to the flower before you put the
          flowers on the quilt. It kinda looks like the flower pot is sitting in a window, If the black sashing
          runs down the sides, I would let a little more of it be seen where the fussy cut flowers run down
          the sides. Tell me a little more of what is in your mind and I will try to help you develop it.
          HelenW

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Susan D. Do you know how to do any hand embroidery stitches. If you look at my coloring book
          page hanging above your post, the black one, I used the lazy daisy stitch and french knots with
          #8 pearl cotton thread. You could do something like that on the flowers themselves. Another idea
          is use buttons as some of the centers of flowers. Also, you can buy strings of all kinds of shapes
          of beads at stores like Joanns and Michaels and stitch them onto various places.You could use a
          piece of rick rack lime green where the pot top attaches darker purple with only 1/2 of the rick rack
          showing it looks like a scalloped edge. You could buy a piece colored lace like fabric in the bridal
          dept of a big box store like Joanns and make a lace place mat for the pot to sit on. I am just
          throwing out ideas to getting you thinking out of the normal traditional quilt ways. HelenW

Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished size will be approx 25x52. My inspiration for this was a wall quilt by Freddy Moran. The theme of the challenge is Welcome to my Garden. We need to include a bird, insect, animal and an embellishment. I ha a racoon tucked in on the lower left side. I have a bird and bee on a new picture I will attach. I had thought about adding some embroidery as you suggested. I have sewn most of the centers on. Unfortunately I started adding some of the steam a seam to some of the flowers so it will be harder to embroider now but I will try it. I enlarged your photo...you do such beautiful work!!!

The quilting...I am not sure what to do. I have only quilted a christmas stocking. :0) One friend suggested doing some circles at the top and echoing flowers on the main part. Another suggested straighline on the sides and top and bottom and no quilting where the flowers are. My biggest concerns are how and when to apply applique and how to quilt. Based on your message when I figure out the quilting I will know when to affix the applique. I think I need to keep the quilting pretty easy at this point.

Thank you so much Helen!

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished size will be approx 25x52. My inspiration for this was a wall quilt by Freddy Moran. The theme of the challenge is Welcome to my Garden. We need to include a bird, insect, animal and an embellishment. I ha a racoon tucked in on the lower left side. I have a bird and bee on a new picture I will attach. I had thought about adding some embroidery as you suggested. I have sewn most of the centers on. Unfortunately I started adding some of the steam a seam to some of the flowers so it will be harder to embroider now but I will try it. I enlarged your photo...you do such beautiful work!!!

The quilting...I am not sure what to do. I have only quilted a christmas stocking. :0) One friend suggested doing some circles at the top and echoing flowers on the main part. Another suggested straighline on the sides and top and bottom and no quilting where the flowers are. My biggest concerns are how and when to apply applique and how to quilt. Based on your message when I figure out the quilting I will know when to affix the applique. I think I need to keep the quilting pretty easy at this point.

Thank you so much Helen!
          Welcome to Susans Garden...that is the theme. Freddy Moran reminds me of
          RED, free form and whimsy. Especially the portrait a day she does. Looks like
          you have a container flower garden. Are those your favorite type of flowers?
          I always try to put things in my art quilts that are my favorite. I attached a photo
          of a vase that was just messing around when I did the Garden Party BOM.
          Of course my Garden Party quilt did not look much like the original pattern.
          I attached a picture of it, maybe it will tweak you creativity. The black and grey
          wall hanging was one of Alex Anderson's hand embroidery free you tube classes.
          Is your picture of the whole size 25 by 52 or are you in the process of building it.
          Do you have a local bird or a favorite bird or a fantasy bird in mind for your
          bird requirement. I live in North Idaho and I put local birds on a my Glacier Star
          quilt. Made a little scene for each of the setting blocks around the star.
          For hand embroidery I use a size 24 chenille needle. I draw my design with
          iron away chalk or Frixion iron away pens. For Steam a seam you normally
          draw the image on the release paper. Rough cut it out about 1/4 larger than
          the image. Fuse that to the back of the fabric then cut out on line and it is
          ready to put on the quilt after pulling off the release paper. I would do any
          straight line quilting before putting the applique on. Then like your friend said
          stitch next to the flowers in a thread that does not show like Invisfil or Superior
          monopoly. With both I have to adjust my top tension from default of 4.6 to 2,.0
          because the threads are 100 wt. You could also go another way with big stitch
          quilting using a 12 wt thread. That is done by hand and would look great on the
          black sashing. Post pictures of what you have as you go. I would love to see
          them. HelenW
          Last edited by Helen W.; 03-29-2024, 08:03 AM.

Comment

The photo would not work on using the quote, even though it should so I put the photo in another post. HelenW
            CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE
            Last edited by Helen W.; 03-29-2024, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Susan, I was thinking about your garden, and one thing that I would do in the future is to make a vision board of photo
              from the internet that relate to your topic. Once you have a bunch of great looking ideas, pull one or two things you
              like from each that might work and then decide on a color palette. I just googled a couple comments on flower gardens
              and took a couple screen shots to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Then I always choose items that I love,
              so no matter what, I am pleasing myself, not a group of quilters looking at your masterpiece. HelenW
              Coloring books are great for people that don't draw. You just trace the outline. I have asked permission
              for thinks like that black wall hanging above and they authors have always said yes. If you are just
              taking one or two items out of a whole page, I don't know if you would need to ask permission.
              CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE
              Last edited by Helen W.; 03-29-2024, 10:47 AM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1987 users online. 152 members and 1835 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,173   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X