Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

November's Flying Geese Borders

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariedut
    I Draw the flying geese on freezer paper- then stacked 7 layers on top of each other and mark all the layers by sewing through them (with out thread in the needle. (Had to repeat this twice to mark enough) Three of these strips will give me 39 geese- so I kept 12 pieces and cut the other up in 2 X 5 and 2 X 3 geese.
    Now I have 16 strips and I piece all of them, then press and then sew all 16 again. (Was glad when the short once were finished and I only have 12 left)
    I do not sew through the paper when piecing but fold it out of the way and piece right next to it (use it as a guide) then I iron(press) the fabric onto the waxy side of the paper. In the end I will not have paper to tear off- it just lift away. I also do not have to fiddle to look through the paper for correct placement, and I trim the patches when necessary. (After I fold the paper out of the way- I can see if the seam allowance are over sized.)

Tis method is described in Judy Mathieson's book on Mariners compass
    This sounds like a wonderful method. Although I already have most of my pieces cut for my flying geese, I'm going to try your suggestion.

Comment

Hi, my flying geese went together beautifully, just the right size. Only problem was, my quilt center was not the same size. I sewed the geese strips together using a slightly bigger seam allowance for the bottom of the strip, so as not to cut off the point on the goose. This was maybe 1/12" deeper. However, when I sewed the geese to the quilt, that 1/12" translated into a 1/4" gap between the goose point and the seam for the affected geese.

After going back again through the instructions, I noticed that Sue mentioned you could redraft the geese to be flatter, BUT this would mean having to rip everything out and essentially start over. I could have taken off the TOP goose in each strip and made a flatter one- this seemed like too much in my discouraged state.

So, I unsewed some of the border seam, took out the 1/12" difference, and resewed the border. Even though it was slightly bigger than the quilt center, it went on fine and looks good.

Lessons learned? I could have put on a wider spacer border to begin with. I could have drafted the flying geese strip in EQ to be a tad shorter. Even though I was frustrated, I learned a lot putting that border on!

Kathy

Comment

I am not ready to start the flying geese but really appreciate everyone taking time to write about your method. Will let you know how it turns out, but must finish the star borders. Thanks, Pat

Comment

Since you haven't started yet--I am going to suggest doing the paper pieced method. I am so tired of making flying geese and I still have to sew them together and them attach them. This is the first time I have felt overwhelmed by this quilt.

Comment

Ritzy, what method did you use? I used the bikini method. I ordered the ruler from Kaye Wood. So far, this has been the easiest part of this quilt for me. Maybe it has more to do with our personalities than the method. I have found this entire quilt to be a very tedious task; yet others have enjoyed every minute of it. I have my geese all sewed and ready to attach to the quilt - hopefully I will do that on Tuesday. Then one last border and I'm done (I used my sawtooth stars in place of the pinwheels).

Comment

I started making the flying geese by the paper piecing method, made 12 geese and decided that I was getting annoyed! :shock: I have now re-cut everything and am going to use the one seam method.

Jean in Windsor, ON

Comment

Sherry, I used Eleanor Burns method of making four at a time but by the time I did them all; I could have been done with the paper piece. Anyway, I am plugging along and will be really glad to have this border done.

Comment

I finally have my geese attached. They measured exactly what Sue said they should and my quilt with borders measured what it was supposed, yet I had to take one of the geese blocks off all 4 sides. Then it fit perfectly. Don't know where I went wrong, but they are on now.

Comment

I have been using the paper pieced method and so far everything has fit just fine. I have three sides on and almost finished with the fourth. I have tried Eleanor Burns method before but much prefer the paper pieced one. It makes me feel more comfortable that I am getting it accurate.
                    Kari :roll:

Comment

ops: Montanna Gramma what is the bikni style to make the flying
                      geese? Am dumb! ops: I don't get on here very often, but am
                      courious as to what the bikni style is :roll: I want to learn an easier way, other than the one seam style .
                      Marilyn

Comment

Originally posted by hotsytotsy
                        ops:Montanna Gramma what is the bikni style to make the flying
                        geese? Am dumb! ops: I don't get on here very often, but am
                        courious as to what the bikni style is :roll: I want to learn an easier way, other than the one seam style .
                        Marilyn
                        Marilyn, in Sue's directions with the November BOM patterns, you will find directions for both paper piecing (page 3) and the bikini method (page 5) for making flying geese units. She also demonstrates several methods for making flying geese in her video tutorial for November.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Hi Margo..well, I'm final finished the flying geese border..I must have miss counted as I had to make a couple of extra geese. After all the borders were on, I measured my centre and I'm only getting 68..I think I'm suppose to have 69 1/2...oops! something wrong there. With the next borders can I make up the difference??

Comment

Originally posted by Nfiegirl
                            Hi Margo..well, I'm final finished the flying geese border..I must have miss counted as I had to make a couple of extra geese. After all the borders were on, I measured my centre and I'm only getting 68..I think I'm suppose to have 69 1/2...oops! something wrong there. With the next borders can I make up the difference??
                            Not a problem!! We will add another floater before the stars, and you can insert a second one if just one looks too wide!
                            Doncha just love how the floaters make everything come together!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Yes, I do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaGramma
                                I finally have my geese attached. They measured exactly what Sue said they should and my quilt with borders measured what it was supposed, yet I had to take one of the geese blocks off all 4 sides. Then it fit perfectly. Don't know where I went wrong, but they are on now.
                                me too. I finished one border and 41 fits perfect not 42 so I think my floaters will have to be bigger next month.

Denise

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2351 users online. 184 members and 2167 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X