Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Jen Kingwell demonstrate her hand piecing techniques in the upcoming months? I hand pieced the first block and in my opinion, it was a disaster. I could not get the center points to line up even after multiple attempts at taking the center apart and stitching then over again. I wish the Quilt Show had Jen demonstrate that first block. I am not a quitter. I bought more background fabric so I can do this block over. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6231.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	899068Thanks, Barbara, for all of your instructions. I appreciate you.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      No, Jen has provided all she planned to in the Show. She does have videos you can find online, some have been mentioned here earlier in the year.

I just Googled Jen Kingwell Videos and found these two which you may like:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qBIzlutMzT6Enh

They are very detailed, with Jen explaining a lot of things that apply to Pick A Petal.
      Last edited by Barbara B.; 02-01-2024, 10:22 AM.

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      You will get it! Try this month’s blocks, they are a little more forgiving. I like appliqué ( short) pins — at your intersections, pin at the dot and double check they’re aligned. A little backstitch before and after the intersection will help it stay stable. Linda Franz of Inklingo is another one with a good online hand piecing tutorial, and she has a detailed demo of getting secure intersections. Practice truly will make perfect!

Will we be able to buy an extra 1/2 yard of the "Seed" white and black fabric that we used for the star background? I wish to use this for all of my handles in the 64 fan blocks. If not, has anyone seen this fabric for sale on a website?
    Robin Hessefort
    Waunakee,Wisconsin

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      It will not be available at The Quilt Show store. It is from Free Spirit:
      PWCD012.XDOVE
      Google that information and you will find it available lots of places.

Originally posted by Wendyjj View Post
    Will Jen Kingwell demonstrate her hand piecing techniques in the upcoming months? I hand pieced the first block and in my opinion, it was a disaster. I could not get the center points to line up even after multiple attempts at taking the center apart and stitching then over again. I wish the Quilt Show had Jen demonstrate that first block. I am not a quitter. I bought more background fabric so I can do this block over. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6231.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	899068Thanks, Barbara, for all of your instructions. I appreciate you.
    Wendy, I think Jinny Beyer's master class show 3008 will really help you. She demonstrates how to lock seam allowances when
    hand piecing a 8 point star. I would watch her whole section but the center of the star is at the 18 min. point. She says that
    you need to have a very, very tight lock at the seam allowance there, or it will shift on you and you get a bit of a mess.
    The first part on the 4 patch will also help you with the intersections on month 2. HelenW

CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE IT

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Jinny's is another great show everyone who wants to master hand piece needs to watch.

Will Jen Kingwell demonstrate her hand piecing techniques in the upcoming months? I hand pieced the first block and in my opinion, it was a disaster. I could not get the center points to line up even after multiple attempts at taking the center apart and stitching then over again. I wish the Quilt Show had Jen demonstrate that first block. I am not a quitter. I bought more background fabric so I can do this block over. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6231.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	899068Thanks, Barbara, for all of your instructions. I appreciate you.
    Wendy, I found an even better description of how to hand piece and get a tight center on a 8 point star.
    Wendy Welsh, another fairly well know Australian quilter. She has very good photography and verbal description
    of how to do it. HelenW
    CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE, google Wendy Welsh you tube and look for the title on this photo
    Last edited by Helen W.; 02-02-2024, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• soniasimone commented
      Editing a comment
      Wendy Welsh has very good tutorials, imo

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have read all comments on the forum, watched the lives, and read the blog. Barbara, I know you added 1/2 inch on the long straight outside edge. Did you also add 1/2 to the short straight end pieces, or did you find that added to the long edge was enough? Helen thanks for the great pics and description. Everyone has been so helpful.
    Since this is in Month 1 I think you are asking about the background frame. My Month 1 blog shows how I added to the long and short edges of the frame, there is a picture that shows it.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...l-month-1.html
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

i am from chile, and have seen the quilt show since a lot of years, I have a question , in alot of shows richy sais that the pattern are in the web site , not the boom, but i cannot find them , somebody can help me?

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        A lot of patterns are in the CLASSROOM section on the website—find that under LEARN.

I encourage everyone new to the site to go to each SECTION on the purple bar at the top and SEE what is in WATCH/LEARN/SEE QUILTS/ FORUM/QUILTAPEDIA/BLOG/SHOP sections. Click around each SECTION, you will find so much in each one.

Wendy -- here is one of Linda Franz's videos specifically on handling those intersections. (She had a nice episode on TQS as well, but she talked more about Inklingo than she did about hand piecing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioSnL1vBvU
      Last edited by soniasimone; 02-05-2024, 05:39 PM. Reason: Edited to add video link
      Hand piecer, big-stitch quilter, pattern tweaker 

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent, short video, easy to understand.

Originally posted by soniasimone View Post

Wendy -- here is one of Linda Franz's videos specifically on handling those intersections. (She had a nice episode on TQS as well, but she talked more about Inklingo than she did about hand piecing.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioSnL1vBvU
      Sonia, Hope everyone doing hand piecing watches that video by Linda Franz. I think it is the best I have seen. Too bad
      you did not post it at the beginning of Jan. Hope any one doing hand piecing takes the time to watch it. HelenW

Comment

I decided to jump in (even though I haven’t finished last years BOM).

Question for my Background fabric, it is not directional, do I still cut 4 Reverse?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
          Editing a comment
          Azanath, I think the reverse is left side right side. So the answer would be yes. Are you talking about month 1 background for the star block? HelenW

I have decided to use Aurifil 28 wt, what needle size do I use?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          I have decided to use Aurifil 28 wt, what needle size do I use?
          Azenath, I googled the Aurifil website and they said 100/16 or 90/14 top stitch needle for 28 wt. HelenW

Comment

Has anyone hand pieced your block 1?

Comment

I'm having trouble marking the dots with something I can see on dark materials with the thick templates. Any suggestions? My sew line markers won't fit through the hole to reach the fabric.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
              Editing a comment
              Shelby, Have you tried pushing the end of the sew line a half dozen times to make the white
              chalk come out about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long. I know it will break easily, but if you lightly mark the
              dot, you can go back and make it darker after you get the chalk back to about 1/8 inch long, by
              taking it all the way out and then re inserting the chalk. Also, how about a pin thru the hole,
              lift the template up enough that you can use your white sew line to mark where the pin is sticking
              thru. HelenW

I’m just now getting around to trimming block 1. It says it should be 16.5…. That’s way bigger than the lines I drew from the templates. What did I do wrong. I guess I need to go back and rewatch Barbara.
            Elizabeth Anderson
            Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
              Editing a comment
              16.5" is the size including seam allowances. The center should be at 8.25" in all four directions, north, east, south and west.
              Check from the center out to see what your block measures. Perhaps you can block it to the correct size. In piecing a block the 3 things that go wrong are cutting, sewing and/or pressing.

Thanks B… I am certainly glad I took your advice and allowed extra fabric on the outside of the template!
            Elizabeth Anderson
            Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2574 users online. 348 members and 2226 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,314  
            Welcome to our newest member, Sarah Wells-monnersann.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

• MONTH 8 is Up!
              A few days early, Month 8 patterns are up and ready. Enjoy!
            • video tutorials
              For some reason I thought that you had done monthly videos for the bom, but maybe I'm wrong because I cant find them an...
            • PICK A PETAL -- Show Your Finished Top Here
              So many are getting their Pick a Petal done early! Use this TOPIC so show off your completed top or quilt.
            • MONTH 8 — Ask Questions Here
              Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about month 8....
            • MONTH 8 — Show Your Progress Here
              Please use this TOPIC to share your progress.
            • No more items.
            Working...
            X