Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

MONTH 4 — Ask Questions Here

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MONTH 4 — Ask Questions Here

Please use this TOPIC to ask questions about Month 4.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Do you glue down all the cone flower pedals and then do the hand applique? Or do you work on one pedal at a time? Thanks.
    JET

Comment

• Patricia S. commented
      Editing a comment
      Janet..I found it easier to do one petal at a time. Sewing the extreme outer ones first, then add the next one.

• NinaMarie commented
      Editing a comment
      I know that some people glue theirs all down, but I do them on at a time only because that way I can see exactly how the placement will end up as I go. I ended up cleaning a lot of silver lines off my project. Luckily they came right off!

Barbara, how did you press the seams around the triangles, i.e., did you press them open?

Comment

• sewskeel commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the same question

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Barbara, how did you press the seams around the triangles, i.e., did you press them open?
    I pressed toward the Hollyhock blocks on the top and bottom rows and toward the Stem section on the middle rows.

There isn't a best method on pressing this one, whatever seems to work best for you would be the way to go.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

Shuould I clip the notch on the leaf.? I’m having trouble getting it to turn under. I did finger press the seam allowance.

Comment

Barbara's video this month went over the fabrics to use every month by using the Material Requirements document posted at the beginning of the year. I sorted the kit as soon as I got it with little tags like this:

Comment

Shuould I clip the notch on the leaf.? I’m having trouble getting it to turn under. I did finger press the seam allowance.
          Yes. A tight "inney" curve like that benefits from small clips at the tightest part.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

I have a general applique question, not specific to month 4. I'm new to applique. What's the smallest piece of scrap you save?

In cutting the petals, fitting them economically on the fabric, I have lots of small pieces left. Do you save anything smaller than 1 inch square?? I know there will probably be small pieces coming up, like circles in the next border & on the 'tabs'. I'm just so used to piecing! Not used to working with small pieces. Thank you
            Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Donna M. commented
              Editing a comment
              When I first started hand applique projects around 6 years ago, I saved everything. My thought process was "I might need it someday". Then as the little bits in one basket turned into more bits in three baskets I became more discerning. I now only save bits that are 2" square or larger. I'm now looking into services like retoldcycling.com and local non-profits that will accept textile scraps to find something else to do with them. The scraps that I do save will be used in a "make your own fabric" day where I just want to get into a groove of sewing them altogether with no rhyme or reason. I first got that idea from show 1410 with Bonnie K Hunter.

• NinaMarie commented
              Editing a comment
              well let me preface this answer that I have enough fabric for at least three lifetimes! When I'm doing a project like this I put all the scraps in a pile on the end of my table and if I need more of a certain fabric I grab from that pile. But I definitely, don't save things that are teeny tiny or odd shape - life is too short.

Originally posted by donnamc View Post
            Barbara's video this month went over the fabrics to use every month by using the Material Requirements document posted at the beginning of the year. I sorted the kit as soon as I got it with little tags like this:
            Donna, Your little tags is a perfect way to make it quick and painless to find the right kit fabric. I am not using a kit but I
            bet a lot of the 500 quilters that bought kits (Barbara mentioned that number in her video) will use your idea. HelenW

Comment

I have a general applique question, not specific to month 4. I'm new to applique. What's the smallest piece of scrap you save?

In cutting the petals, fitting them economically on the fabric, I have lots of small pieces left. Do you save anything smaller than 1 inch square?? I know there will probably be small pieces coming up, like circles in the next border & on the 'tabs'. I'm just so used to piecing! Not used to working with small pieces. Thank you
              Carol, I was like you when I started quilting. It was years before I started doing applique. When it did, I started saving those
              small scraps. Like Donna said the bags multiple quickly. In general now I save everything for one project until it is done,
              then I save pieces that are are big enough for circles like Karen K Buckley. Sometimes I make up some circles with the
              smaller pieces knowing that I will use them some day. I hate throwing the beautiful fabric scraps out. HelenW

Comment

Okay I am positioning the cone flowers according to the diagram and centring the flower . However the last leaf on the right side will cover part of the circle that is on the vine , a medium circle that is reddish striped with a small yellow centre . Is anyone else having this problem ? What went wrong ? I think I placed the stems diligently and the circles .
                Bernice

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Either circle is not right or coneflower is too high or low. Photos on Month 4 Show Your Progress Here seem like a few others have similar situation.

• Donna M. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm having the same problem. So I decided to just tuck that petal under the coneflower head just a little bit more. I feel as long as it is consistent it will still bring me joy.

• Azenath W. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  same issue with mine.

When appliqueing pieces that overlap, like the petals, do I need to sew through all fabric layers? Like petal/petal/background. Is it ok if I just sew through the adjacent petal fabric? I've watched several TQS applique shows and other videos, but I don't know if anyone gets into specifics like this.
                Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I only sew pieces to one layer, just the fabric below the piece you are appliquéing on.

Originally posted by jetonkin View Post
                Do you glue down all the cone flower pedals and then do the hand applique? Or do you work on one pedal at a time? Thanks.
                I'm not sure if anyone answered your question. What I did, and I am new to applique, I glued down 3 petals, alternating them, and sewed those down. Then I glued the remaining 3 petals & sewed those.
                Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

How do I find Barbara's blog? Is there a link somewhere that will take me to it?

Comment

Originally posted by PaolaRB View Post
                    How do I find Barbara's blog? Is there a link somewhere that will take me to it?
                    Here's the link: https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/
                    I think it is linked somewhere on TQS, but I have it bookmarked
                    Carol in SW Michigan

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2033 users online. 183 members and 1850 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X