Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Background fabric by border

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background fabric by border

In Sarah's Introduction and Fabric Requirements document she says she has provided a breakdown of BACKGROUND FABRICS by the 5 specific borders. She did not. Enough of you have begged for it so I did it.

Be sure you use her sketch of the 5 various border sections so you know what I am describing. She names them DIFFERENTLY here than she named them on the Show.

These are exact measurements for cutting Width of Fabric--you want extra for shrinkage or unhappy cuts.

BORDER 1 Center of quilt 19"--get 5/8 yard minimum Months 1 and 2

BORDER 2 HST border 33"-- get 1 yard min. Months 5 and 6 NOTE: in month 6 you will make ALL the star blocks for the remaining quilt, some are used in BORDERS 4 and 5

BORDER 3 Wide border with Birds 38.5"--get 1 1/4 yard min. Month 7

BORDER 4 HST border 28"--get 1 yard min. Month 10

BORDER 5 Outer pieced border 28.5"--get 1 yard min. Months 11 and 12--remember. the stars were made in Month 6--if you want ALL the background fabric the same in the outer border you will need a half yard more.

I hope this satisfies those who want to PLAN their backgrounds to be different fabrics.

I will not be providing more "advance" instructions. You will just have to be patient--it is a Block of the Month.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Hope you are feeling better, Barbara! SEW sorry to hear about your power walk accident! Take care and best in 2023! A quilting friend from Maryland, Karla

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, feeling better, not 100% yet.

Dear Barbara,
    Just read that your knees were hurt. I hope you get well soon so you can get back to doing the things you love.

Comment

Kit purchased. Does the kit have wiggle room for background and other fabrics. Don't want to cut wrong and not have enough.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, there is some wiggle room.

For those of us (me) who are worried they will mess up the 5 1/4 yds of Confetti Party Squares, would it be safe to make the first cuts in these increments? I know I should not worry because doing the math you have 4 7/8 yds of fabric listed and we have been granted 5 1/4 yds. 3/8 yd extra should cover any mis-cuts. Right??? :|

Comment

Originally posted by donnamc View Post
        For those of us (me) who are worried they will mess up the 5 1/4 yds of Confetti Party Squares, would it be safe to make the first cuts in these increments? I know I should not worry because doing the math you have 4 7/8 yds of fabric listed and we have been granted 5 1/4 yds. 3/8 yd extra should cover any mis-cuts. Right??? :|
        NO, do not precut anything now based on these numbers. There are alternatives you may want to consider, month by month. You have enough fabric extra, as you noted, just take each month as it comes and you will be fine.

AND one more good reason not to cut background now, as we get farther along you will have extra fabric left from previous months and may not need some of the additional cuts. If you cut now all that is wasted. It is such beautiful fabric I would want to save as much as possible and use all that I have cut previously.

Cutting them ahead can be a disaster and was one of the reasons I did not want to give out this info but bowed to several requests from those who want to use their stash and need to know how much they need by border area.
        Last edited by Barbara B.; 01-02-2023, 03:16 PM.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

• Kathie M. commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed when I made the center square and connecting pieces for month 1 the background fabric shrank up more than the surrounding fabrics. I decided to preshrink the rest of the background. It actually shrank about 7 inches after washing drying and adding starch. Now what! Will I have enough fabric to complete my quilt?

• Myra T. commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Barbara: when breaking down the border measurements you gave the centre square as 19”. Could you please explain this. The hollyhock squares are 10”, the cone flowers are 6”, which adds up to 26”.

Originally posted by murtha View Post
        I noticed when I made the center square and connecting pieces for month 1 the background fabric shrank up more than the surrounding fabrics. I decided to preshrink the rest of the background. It actually shrank about 7 inches after washing drying and adding starch. Now what! Will I have enough fabric to complete my quilt?
        Yes, there is extra background fabric in the kit.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Hi Barbara, thankyou for this page...Background fabric by the border. Very helpful. My confettie fabric should be here within a few days. I always prewash, so I still will, & now I'll only cut it Mo by Mo as you say. Good to know. And I'm glad to see the approximates on the following mos. Later. Oh, I did buy 6 yds...I'm sure I heard you suggested it. Oh, would you divide your 6 yds fabric for washing? Or just wash it all in 1 piece? TY.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            I would wash it a one piece, opening it like a big sheet. I only use Express Wash for new fabric, as it's not dirty. It wouldn't matter if you cut it in half and washed as two pieces, 3 yards each. I bought 6 yards because I like whole numbers and I like the gray I bought so having extra isn't a problem.

Hope you are feeling better Barbara. Thank you so much for the breakdown of BACKGROUND FABRICS requirements , it is so helpful. x

Comment

Originally posted by myrat769 View Post
            Hi Barbara: when breaking down the border measurements you gave the centre square as 19”. Could you please explain this. The hollyhock squares are 10”, the cone flowers are 6”, which adds up to 26”.
            I gave the background cut measurements for months 1 and 2 that create the center. The patterns say strips are cut 6.5”, 2”, and 10.5”.

This is why I hesitate to provide information the designer doesn’t provide.

Simply follow the monthly instructions and don’t try to work ahead.
            Barbara Black
            Huntsville AL

Comment

THANK YOU..... now I know I might change backgrounds if I want since don't have one yet and have used what I'm finding in my stash for now; but might be able to work with the parts done so far-lots of fun so far... House came out the correct size!! Thanks!!
              Last edited by BarbaraByron; 02-13-2023, 02:04 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1023 users online. 162 members and 861 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X