Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

IMPORTANT -- Things to Know Before Making Diamond Borders

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMPORTANT -- Things to Know Before Making Diamond Borders

A lot of information is coming for MONTH 10 -- THE DIAMOND BORDERS. I talked about some of this on the LIVE September 2--that video is still available on Facebook and The Quilt Show's You Tube Channel. Find ALL the LIVES I have done for GPDU here:

[URL="https://thequiltshow.com/learn/category/block-of-the-month-classroom/2022-garden-party-down-under/watch-barbara-black-facebook-youtube-live-garden-party-down-under"]https://thequiltshow.com/learn/categ...rty-down-under[/URL]

There are two Blogs coming early with LOTS of info--September 25 is the Skinny Vases and September 28 is the Diamond Borders.

When MONTH 10 is released, around October 1, there are THREE VIDEOS--Skinny Vases, Applique Diamond Borders and Pieced Diamond Borders. You will decide which technique to use for the Diamond Borders.

There are 5 pages of detailed OPTIONAL ALTERNATIVE INSTRUCTIONS for the PIECED diamond borders.

If you PIECE the diamond borders I strongly recommend you choose a non-directional fabric for the background. The stripe in the Kit will simply not line up easily when piecing. One yard will do but get two yards so you can add a Floater Border and an optional outer border should you choose. The photo shows two suggestions.

If you APPLIQUE the diamond borders you need to wait until you have completed the two Skinny Vases and joined them into the complete right side of the quilt center so you know the LENGTH NEEDED. The pattern says to cut the background 6" x 62.5" but yours may be longer than 62.5"--mine was 63". AND that does not allow for any shrinkage from the applique process. If I had appliqued mine I would have started with 64" border backgrounds.

I know some of you are very eager to start the Diamond borders. PLEASE READ EVERYTHING and WATCH THE VIDEOS. I have tried to anticipate everything you need to know to be successful. All you have to do is take advantage of all that information.

This is a test--comment here or Like this post so I will know if anyone reads it...
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Thanks for this info. Looking forward to seeing more info on the borders.

Comment

Hoping I can catch up to take advantage of all this glorious information! Thanks, Barb!

Comment

Barbara, I read everything you write. You are a wealth of information and it is so wonderful to have such a great teacher
        leading the forum. HelenW

Comment

Thank you! So appreciate the information and insight you provide and so wiilingly share as TQS BOM guru.
          terri s.
          Quilting is my daily fiber therapy!

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Terri!

Thanks for the great instructions you always give

Comment

Thank you for posting this information. You're always helpful when providing this kind of information.!
              Patricia McLaughlin

Comment

Reading--and enjoying the process

Comment

I would like to know how much fabric I should have for the background fabric for the pieced border so that my background is all the same all the way around? Not sure if this was posted somewhere but sorry, I could not find it.

Comment

[[email protected];n894181]I would like to know how much fabric I should have for the background fabric for the pieced border so that my background is all the same all the way around? Not sure if this was posted somewhere but sorry, I could not find it.[/QUOTE]

In the blog posted September 28 I say to get two yards of a non-directional fabric for piecing the Diamond Borders.

[url]https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/2022/09/gpdu-month-10-diamond-borders.html[/url]
                  Barbara Black
                  Huntsville AL

Comment

Thank you so much - I am so glad I asked because I am pretty sure I do not have a two yard piece on hand - off to the fabric store I go!

Comment

i just cut my stripe fabric into 61/2 strips and only got 7 strips with 2 inch left over. I purchased kit.
                      what now
                      Susan Skeel
                      Des Moines Iowa

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You should have enough extra on each of the 6 strips you cut WOF to piece the last border needed. Try to hide the three seams with a diamond.

[QUOTE=sewskeel;n894187]i just cut my stripe fabric into 61/2 strips and only got 7 strips with 2 inch left over. I purchased kit.
                      what now[/QUOTE]

The instructions said to cut the strips 6” wide. There was 48” which gives 8 strips.
                      You should be able to find this fabric—you need a quarter yard to cut the last strip needed.

The Introduction shows all the Kit fabrics. This is 1/8” Grey Stripe by Riley Blake. I just found it in several Etsy shops.
                      Last edited by Barbara B.; 10-01-2022, 12:15 PM.
                      Barbara Black
                      Huntsville AL

Comment

I plan on appliquéing the border… I think I’d enjoy the hand work, and had planned to over cut the strips also so I could ‘size’ them after I finished… I’m now rethinking it if there is just enough fabric. But, the 8 strips give us more length. Couldn’t we piece together a length.? It shouldn’t be noticeable?
                        Elizabeth Anderson
                        Cadiz, KY  (near Paducah)

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Two strips cut 6"x WOF do have to be pieced together to give the length needed, with about 17" extra on each cut strip. There should be enough left from 8 strips to piece one extra for those who run short--there will be three seams in that last border instead of one.

Thanks for the warning! I will look forward to your blog.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1099 users online. 183 members and 916 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X