Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Getting outer circle to lie flat

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting outer circle to lie flat

Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together with the road around its outside edge. Rather than try to scan ALL the forum posts...I'm asking...what do I need to do to get my outer circle (tall buildings 1-4 + skyscraper corners) to lie flat. Shall I take in some seams a little bit here and there? especially at the center of the curve? Shall I try to pin and begin sewing to road? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Assuming the patterns were the correct size, it’s all about the seam allowances. Check quite a few of them— if they are slightly narrow, the circle will be larger than it should be.
    The middle circle with the Upper Roads on the outside should measure 43.5” including seam allowances. Once your outside circle is flat, check to see your middle circle fits the open space of the outside circle. If it does, start pinning the North, South, East and West points, then half way between each of those, then halfway again, until you have pinned most every seam. Then you can start to sew.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thank you Barbara. I appreciate your help. Checking the seams is my next step. Thanks for the measurement of the diameter of the center with upper road attached.

Comment

I’ve been having issues with my outer circle as well.
        what is the diameter of the inside supposed to be? I think mine is way too small.

Comment

Originally posted by debrastrand View Post
          I’ve been having issues with my outer circle as well.
          what is the diameter of the inside supposed to be? I think mine is way too small.
          I answered this same question below, 11/24/2021, 5:59 pm.

The center of the quilt with Upper Road attached is 43.5” including seam allowances.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

My question actually referred to the hole diameter for the outer circle. Is that the same as the inner circle with road attached? I just wasn’t sure how to account for the seam allowance.

Comment

Originally posted by debrastrand View Post
              My question actually referred to the hole diameter for the outer circle. Is that the same as the inner circle with road attached? I just wasn’t sure how to account for the seam allowance.
              In a perfect world, the hole of the Tall buildings/Little houses/Skyscrapers outside ring is 42.5”—that is the hole size, seam allowance to seam allowance.
              Barbara Black
              Huntsville AL

Comment

I had a terrible time matching the circles and having a flat result.I eventually had to to do it this way:
                *make sure outer “frame” is flat and tape or pin it to a flat surface.
                *Baste the seam allowance down all the way around the inner circle.
                * Lay the inner circle on top of the outer circle, lining up NSEW points where you want them.
                *Then carefully pin the circles together, being sure you have an adequate seam allowance on the outer circle.
                *Use an erasable marker on the outer circle to indicate where the circular seam should go. I also marked where the road seams should align with the outer row of buildings. Obviously I had not been totally successful creating accurate seam allowances…my outer buildings are a mite shorter than designed as I had 1/8 to 1/4 inch larger seam allowance on the tall building circle. Unless you hold a ruler to it, you can’t tell.
                *Take the pins and basting out and pin together with the right sides together, matching the marks for the seam allowances.
                *sew the two parts together. You could also appliqué the outer road to the outer buildings as an alternative.

Circles are tricky! This worked for me. Perfect 1/4 inch seams elude me!

Comment

I attempted to put the upper road on my circle of houses for Block 5 and although it fit around the circle, it is absolutely not flat.(it looks too small) Can you please tell me what the measurement of both the upper road and the circumference? other thoughts about what I might have done wrong and how to fix it? Thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    I attempted to put the upper road on my circle of houses for Block 5 and although it fit around the circle, it is absolutely not flat.(it looks too small) Can you please tell me what the measurement of both the upper road and the circumference? other thoughts about what I might have done wrong and how to fix it? Thanks so much
                    Lorraine, Having circles lie flat can be quite a challenge. I would look at the seams making the circle. Check both sides of each
                    seam to make sure nothing shifted and both are exactly 1/4 inch. Double check your one inch square on the print outs.
                    Printers just a little bit off can make it not lie flat in the end. You need to have 360 degrees, no more and no less if you want it to lay flat. I always checked mine at the
                    90 degree points to see if it was spot on. If you can post pictures of front and back it might give us some clues to help you.
                    HelenW.

Comment

• Lorraine G. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Going to go to take a picture later today. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Lorraine, here is the detailed blog post for Month 5:

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...h-5-roads.html

There was also discussion on the measurements on the Forum. Find it here:

https://thequiltshow.com/forum/block...oads-are-added

It would be worth your time to go back through the various Forum posts on Color My World for all the help that was provided last year.

And my blogs for each month answer such questions in detail. Posted on the first of each month or the last of the preceding month. Easy to find each of them in the ARCHIVES.
                    Barbara Black
                    Huntsville AL

Comment

I had trouble with my inner circle laying flat, and after checking seam allowances I appliqued it down. My outer circle has same issues. Now that school is out for the summer I'll try to finish. Don't want it to become a UFO after a year of work . Good luck.

Comment

• Helen W. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Julie, I applique both my circles and found it to be an easy way to get it to lay flat. Would love to see
                        some pictures. HelenW

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1044 users online. 217 members and 827 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,768   Members: 25244   Active Members: 1,511  
                    Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X