Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Inset circles: The upper road and the center circle.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inset circles: The upper road and the center circle.

I feel the frustration a few of the TQS quilters are having with the roads. I googled tips for inserting circles and found a very good you tube video. Just google Piecing/ Insetting Circles Modern Quilt Studio you tube. It is 15 minutes
    and takes you from an excellent pinning tutorial to excellent video of the sewing the entire circle. And the bonus of seeing how to press the circle to make it lay nice and flat. I found it very informative. If you are somewhat new to circles. The white square with the circle in it would be the same as your upper road. The green circle would be your houses center. Hope you enjoy and benefit from this. HelenW

I am assuming that anyone having problems has taken the time to read the pattern and watch and read all of Barbara Blacks excellent videos.
    Last edited by Helen W.; 05-22-2021, 09:56 AM.

Thanks for this reminder that Google is our Friend. All we can expect is the designer’s original instructions for any pattern. Read those again to see if they help. My blogs and videos are meant to supplement them.

On a positive note, there are very few people here who are having significant difficulties with this step. I am pleased with how many have said “it worked!” and are posting photos of their centers so we can admire their progress.

This quilt requires accurate seam allowances and accurate printed patterns. There is a learning curve to both those steps.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL
    https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    "I am a part of all that I have met." A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

• Helen W. commented
      Editing a comment
      Barbara, I am so sorry for my poor choice of words. I have watched as all the beautiful centers have been posted. And as you say a few are having trouble. Your presentations are absolutely fabulous with detail and videos are wonderful. Guess I was just looking for another tip or two for the few
      that haven't got it yet. HelenW

• RuthM1095 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am working out the same problem with the roads. I have not yet been able to get the circle to lay flat. The inner circle road lies perfect but not the second one. I am going to deal with that once the large buildings are completed.
      Ruth M
      Connecticut

Originally posted by HelenW View Post
    Barbara, I am so sorry for my poor choice of words. I have watched as all the beautiful centers have been posted. And as you say a few are having trouble. Your presentations are absolutely fabulous with detail and videos are wonderful. Guess I was just looking for another tip or two for the few
    that haven't got it yet. HelenW
    No problem, you provide great additional info and are quite an asset here. Alex and I both appreciate the help you provide so keep it up!

This quilt is a challenge but many will be so happy with their final project. And I do believe the rest is easy compared to where we have gotten to today.
    Barbara Black
    Huntsville AL

Comment

Well I am having trouble with the project , it is not lying flat etc. I made the mariners compass and attached the inner road to it. It fit nicely and laid flat. Then when I added the houses to the inner road the centre was no longer flat, the houses do not lay flat. I spritzed it lightly with water and pressed it. On the ironing board it looked good, but once I set it back on the floor, it was not looking good, not flat etc. The houses did match the road seams very well. Not sure what is the problem. I have a feeling the circumference of the houses is greater than the outer edge of the inner circle . What advice do you have for me to fix it?

Comment

• Helen W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Bernice, It is nice to know you eliminated the compass and inner road from the problem. And I am glad that you tried the spritzed with water and ironing, because that sometimes works. I would lay it
        on a cutting mat and stick a pin the center of the compass and align that with a line on the mat. Then
        align the houses so one seam represents 12 o'clock position. Then check 8 houses clockwise. It should be 90 degrees or 3 o'clock. If not the seams in that area are off, or your original paper template was not printed at exact size. Then check the next quarter and so on. If the amount you
        are off is just a little bit you can probably take out a few inches on the road nearest any seams that
        are not the perfect 1/4 inch on both sides. Or just decide to make larger or smaller depending on how far
        off of 90 degrees you were. A circle will not lay flat if it is not 360 degrees. Let us know how it goes.
        Photos are always nice for trouble shooting, but I know getting a good photo on the forum is not easy
        for me. HelenW

• Bernice A. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Helen for the help with my question. I took the houses off from the inner road and split them into quarters and checked if they were 90 degrees. That was a very good tip, a circle can't lie flat if it is not 360 degrees!!!!! No they weren't , they needed a bit of adjusting in the seams, etc and I got them each to be 90 , joined them and the house circle was nice and flat. All of my measurements were exact as Barbara posted, 18.5" for compass and inner road units, the hole in the house circle was 17.5" . So I sewed the two units together, the houses to the inner road and still had a problem. The houses lie flat but now the compass is not flat. I am usually good at math, but my question is why is the inner road/compass 1" larger than the hole of the houses?? Shouldn't it only be 1/2 " difference (1/4 " sewn from each part) I think I will adjust the size of the inner road and hand applique it on. Unless you have another solution for me, and I am sure you do.
        I also looked at the You Tube videos about sewing a circle, as another member suggested. A good video but a bit different concept, because we are creating a circle from the many houses and there can be seam allowance problems verses just preparing a circle to stitch back in.

Hi
      This is Laynie again. I sent out a post that my Mariner's Compass with inner road measured 18 1/2 inches in diameter. Is that an accurate measurement? Also I am embarrassed to say....I don't know where to click on this forum to see any answers. My bottom of the houses may be too small or large to fit the Mariner's Compass with inner road. How do I go about finding out this answer and what should I try to fix this......HELP! and thanks......

Comment

Originally posted by Laynie View Post
        Hi
        This is Laynie again. I sent out a post that my Mariner's Compass with inner road measured 18 1/2 inches in diameter. Is that an accurate measurement? Also I am embarrassed to say....I don't know where to click on this forum to see any answers. My bottom of the houses may be too small or large to fit the Mariner's Compass with inner road. How do I go about finding out this answer and what should I try to fix this......HELP! and thanks......
        Yes, 14” compass, 2” inner roads plus seam allowances. There is a topic that answers your question. Official: size of circle after houses are sewn. I just found it easily by using the Search the Forum box. I typed size of circle and it came right up.

To find answers to a question you ask, check the Topic where you asked it. Here I did a Quote, so what you wrote is shown again and then my answer. If someone Comments on your post, you will see their name and their comment to you.
        Barbara Black
        Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by 1951bernice View Post
          Thanks Helen for the help with my question. I took the houses off from the inner road and split them into quarters and checked if they were 90 degrees. That was a very good tip, a circle can't lie flat if it is not 360 degrees!!!!! No they weren't , they needed a bit of adjusting in the seams, etc and I got them each to be 90 , joined them and the house circle was nice and flat. All of my measurements were exact as Barbara posted, 18.5" for compass and inner road units, the hole in the house circle was 17.5" . So I sewed the two units together, the houses to the inner road and still had a problem. The houses lie flat but now the compass is not flat. I am usually good at math, but my question is why is the inner road/compass 1" larger than the hole of the houses?? Shouldn't it only be 1/2 " difference (1/4 " sewn from each part) I think I will adjust the size of the inner road and hand applique it on. Unless you have another solution for me, and I am sure you do.
          I also looked at the You Tube videos about sewing a circle, as another member suggested. A good video but a bit different concept, because we are creating a circle from the many houses and there can be seam allowance problems verses just preparing a circle to stitch back in.
          Bernice, the compass is 18” finished. The empty hole in the Small Houses ring is 17.5”. Add the 1/2” seam allowance back to that empty hole and the seam will be sewn at 18” on the Small Houses ring. So they fit together.
          Barbara Black
          Huntsville AL

Comment

Originally posted by Barbara Black View Post

Bernice, the compass is 18” finished. The empty hole in the Small Houses ring is 17.5”. Add the 1/2” seam allowance back to that empty hole and the seam will be sewn at 18” on the Small Houses ring. So they fit together.
            Bernice, Maybe the problem was not your math. Maybe your printer was just a little off. You would not be the first. I personally would do what you are comtemplating. I would applique it. I did that with great success on this wall hanging that has 3 circles with paper pieced other circles. I did interfacing with turned edge seam allowance then machine stitched with a 1.0 - 1.0 zig zag.
            HelenW
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Helen W.; 05-26-2021, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I was so excited that the inner road fit the center circle nicely. So excited that the outer road fit the houses cleanly without much "finiggling." Then came attaching the houses to the circle/inner road. Houses were a lot too big. It's puzzling since the outer road fit well. I'm in the process of "darting" the seams that don't have trees, hoping to take up enough of the slack that I can "ease" the rest. onto the center/inner road. Can't think of anything else to do.

Comment

• Barbara B. commented
                Editing a comment
                That should work. Slow and steady wins the race.

• digiusep commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the same thing

Originally posted by lindanquilts12 View Post
              I was so excited that the inner road fit the center circle nicely. So excited that the outer road fit the houses cleanly without much "finiggling." Then came attaching the houses to the circle/inner road. Houses were a lot too big. It's puzzling since the outer road fit well. I'm in the process of "darting" the seams that don't have trees, hoping to take up enough of the slack that I can "ease" the rest. onto the center/inner road. Can't think of anything else to do.
              Linda, Great idea to dart the houses without trees. That is the way my mind works also. I would check the 90 degree points. That would be every 8 houses. See how much each section is off and dart according to that amount. That will keep everything looking balanced. Let us know how your dart idea works out. HelenW

Comment

Coming along. It’s not perfect but I’m okay with it. I got delayed with a broken arm in May but I’m back at the sewing machine!

Comment

Here's my inner circle. I decided to make 1/2 the quilt, having a rectangular finished project. Just need to make the tall buildings for each corner.

Comment

Barbara, I have made the roads and attached the inner road and the small house circle. It went together well. Where is the tutorial video showing how to attach the small houses to the inner road? Cannot find it. Please advise. Thanks. Frieda Pickett

Comment

Originally posted by friedapickett View Post
                      Barbara, I have made the roads and attached the inner road and the small house circle. It went together well. Where is the tutorial video showing how to attach the small houses to the inner road? Cannot find it. Please advise. Thanks. Frieda Pickett
                      Here is the Live broadcast for Month 5:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gWalysMGkY

The blog for Month 5 has lots of info too:

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com/20...h-5-roads.html

Barbara Black
                      Huntsville AL

Comment

• Sallieh commented
                        Editing a comment
                        i understand the block patterns will be finished up in November? I am wondering if, as a member, i will still be able to access your videos on each month beyond november?

Originally posted by Sallieh View Post
                      i understand the block patterns will be finished up in November? I am wondering if, as a member, i will still be able to access your videos on each month beyond november?
                      I believe the videos will remain beyond 2021.
                      Barbara Black
                      Huntsville AL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1075 users online. 179 members and 896 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,772   Members: 25245   Active Members: 1,507  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X