Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Color and layout check

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color and layout check

I'm more than halfway done, so seemed like a good time to check the color balance in my scrappy quilt, and also to audition layouts. I have 20 applique, 9 shoo fly, and 55 9-patches complete so far. I'm not unhappy with the color, but it reads a bit muted to me. Maybe I can try shifting towards brighter colors for the remaining blocks - would that work, or will it look odd?.

I strongly prefer the straight set instead of the on-point layout. That will change the number of blocks I need for a similar sized quilt, so I mocked up the new layout in EQ8. I will need to make more shoo-fly blocks with the straight set - this is good, as I think the modified shoo-fly blocks are pretty sweet. Also fewer 9-patches - again, a positive, as they're becoming monotonous. I'll need more applique blocks than are planned for the BOM, and discovered that EQ-8 has some nice options for cross-shaped and wreath shaped blocks, so may also sub out some of the patterns I'm less attracted to.

I think it is an issue of value. You might be happier with more contrast.

I also think your idea of using some brighter hues in the remaining blocks is a good one.
    I started out using muted civil war reproduction prints. I am now moving toward more stronger colors.
    Just this week I have started using Esther's Heirloom Shirtings by Kim Diehl for Henry Glass. I don't know if they are really reproduction fabrics, but they have a reproduction look to me, while being brighter and deeper hues. I am pleased with them. It is a nice selection of 29 different prints. This layer cake will be enough for me to finish this quilt.
    I like using layer cakes for this quilt. The 10" squares are a great size for the applique backgrounds. I use oversized background pieces anyhow, because I am doing hand-applique for this quilt. The deeper prints in the Esther's Heirlooms coordinate well as appliques. Good contrast.

I am going to use a few appliques from EQ8 also. I have the template for the EQ8 Old Tulips applique cut and ready to work up.

I really like your straight set with the diagonal lines. I hadn't considered that.

I would attach a picture of what I have done so far, but the camera in my phone is not working, and I don't want to go out shopping for a new one right now.
    I am doing hand applique. I have 12 applique blocks done so far. Maybe I will be caught up by the time I can get out and buy a new phone!!!

Happy quilting!
    Judy Austin

Comment

I like the straight set better for mine too. Thanks for the photos.

Comment

DianeRoss, I think your quilt colors look great. It does not look muted at all to me. But my Kaffe loving quilt friends might think it is somewhat muted.
        I too am going to do the layout in the horizontal rather than on point. I like the look the double nine patch makes for the secondary design. I plan to
        quilt in sections, a quilt as you go method which is easier when the blocks are not on point. You can audition some brighter colored blocks in EQ8. Since they
        have a number of the X block motifs. Just edit them to 6.75 inches. Color brightly as desired, then take photo images of your current blocks and drag them in
        as photos into the quilt layout section of EQ8. It will let you see if you like your idea for brightening things up. Another idea if you do decide to brighten it up;
        if you make some O type blocks in the brighter colors, that will give a POP of color to it. Right now they give a darker POP of color since they often catch
        you eye first being a larger piece of colored fabric in those blocks. Love your work. It is beautiful. HelenW

Comment

Judy Austin, What a bummer not being able to take pictures of your quilt blocks. It often helps me make decisions. If you have a neighbor or friend with a
          phone maybe them could come to your house, ( mask on of course) and take some pictures and email them to your computer, and then you could show all
          the TQS members how it is going. Would love to see them. I enjoy reading your comments when you post. Also, I just bought my first layer cake this spring
          and I know know what I was missing. They are perfect for applique. I also love having fabrics that play well together, even though I traded out some for stash
          pieces that work.I am sure there will be many more layer cakes in my future. Glad they are calorie free. HelenW
          PS Do you still have a regular camera. I always use a regular camera to take pictures. I don't have a smart phone.

Comment

Helen - great suggestion on the O-type blocks. They are a larger splash of color.. I like the dark primary colors when used in larger patches, but observed that when I used them in the 9-patches, they didn't read as a color, just as "dark". Hence the muted overall look. I'm definitely not looking for a Kaffe-style color palette!

Thanks also for the suggestion regarding the straight set! I also love the secondary pattern created with the 9-patch blocks.

Diane

Comment

Here is another vote for the straight set.

I colors look fine to me, is it that you don't like the muted colors with white? If you add bright colors, than mix them in the the muted colors or they will stand out. Try a few test blocks and see what happens before you decide.

And enjoy yourself!

Comment

Update - today, I finished the remaining 9-patch blocks, and started the additional shoo-fly blocks. For both, I mixed in some medium value prints with the existing darker prints and it worked well. The cream backgrounds provide adequate contrast in either medium or dark prints.. I will continue to use more medium values, particularly in those O-type blocks. After tomorrow, I think I'll have all the piecing done, and will just be waiting on the monthly applique release. Time to find another project?

Too much time on my hands -
                Diane

Comment

Diane, I love your photos, questions regarding color/value and seeing the straight set! This topic will be very helpful to many going forward.
                  You have received brilliant advice so far. I am eager to see your additional fabric selections—depth and contrast is good.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                  North Alabama, USA
                  "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

HelenW,
                    I am one of those avid Kaffe fans! I collect his books and his fabrics. They are my favorites, second only to batiks and my own hand-dyes. Kaffe is an amazing master colorist.

All,
                    I decided to try to do my Afternoon Delight with reproduction fabrics in honor of Sue Garman. I am trying to use the type of fabrics she used. I think I read somewhere that she used Civil war reproductions. I know next to nothing about reproduction fabrics. I had to order them online. No one carries them in my area. So many of them seem dull to me, so I am trying to go a little brighter now.

I am trying to learn different methods of hand applique for Applique Delight. I am 74, but I like to try new things.
                    Because hand-appliquing these blocks is so time-consuming, I really want to see all my hard work. So I am trying to make sure to have strong contrast.
                    If I were to do this quilt again, I would do prepared-edge machine applique. However, I have learned a lot. A whole lot!

It is 93 degrees outside now in this part of Virginia. I am going downstairs to my cool basement sewing room to do some hand applique on Block 11, while I watch some British mysteries on Acorn TV. That is my kind of afternoon delight!!!

Your quilting friend,
                    Judy

Comment

JudithA - I love applique but I'm always trying the latest methods looking for an easier and better way of doing things. I did the same on this quilt and finally settled on the back basting method along about March. Hopefully the other methods will all blend together. I subscribe to BritBox and just lately to Acorn TV. I love the British Mysteries Midsomer Mysteries, Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Vera and Father Brown. Just finihsed Brokenwood Mysteries and looking for another series.

Comment

Sandy,
                        I did some back-basting applique on this quilt too. I like that method. I had to start over on two blocks of my back-basted blocks because of too much fraying.
                        When I get a new phone with a working camera, I will post pictures. I am one of those elderly people with underlying health issues, so I am cautious about going out right now.

I like your black embroidery around your appliques. It is a nice touch. It looks good and it will tie them all together.

I like those same British movies/series. I keep looking for new ones also. Right now I am watching the "Lovejoy" series on Acorn. It is an older series. It starts out low budget but gets better through the series. I enjoy seeing the houses and antiques, and of course the British landscapes.

Happy sewing!
                        Judy

Comment

Judy,

I'm 69 and in reasonably good health but I'm also staying in. I have been working from home since Mar 19 and I go once a week to pick up my groceries curbside. I am fortunate that my son (who works from home) and his family live across the field and my brother lives next door so I am not 'alone'. My daughter lives an hour away and when schools closed she started working from home so I see her family also. Facetime is great but it doesn't replace hugs from the grandkids.

I have watched a couple episodes of Lovejoy but currently watching My Life is Murder. Midsommer Murders hooked me with the lush green countryside with little two lane roads and old ivy covered houses with low doorways.

Hope to have at least 30 of the double 9-Patch blocks done by the end of June. Hope to see your pictures soon.
                          Sandy

Comment

Sandy, You are blessed!

Comment

I think your blocks are just lovely! Subtle color use is complex and delicate. Lol not that I've even come close to mastering it but I so admire it. I also really like the straight set. Would you be able to share how many modified shoo-fly blocks and nine patches you'll be using to do the straight set? I'm thinking of using a constant color for my nine patches to contract with my scrappy blocks.

Thanks

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2343 users online. 195 members and 2148 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X