Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Month 1, Part 2–The Applique Blocks

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sandytn - Good to know! I did do a little soak, whereupon my lovely red applique bled, so, the block got a much longer soapy soak - no more bleeding, yay! but definitely still stiff. I've decided to embrace the stiffness and be ok with it! The stiffness does make the hand stitching more challenging, so I might try freezer paper applique for month 2 to see if it's any faster etc.

Linda

Comment

Ivanderb - I haven't hand stitched the one I prepared last night with Apliquick and Glue and I'm concerned that the glue will make the fabric edge stiff and hard to hand stitch. That's why I only prepared 1 with glue to see how I like stitching it. My first attempt with Appliquick tools my glue stick was dried up, so yesterday (in pouring rain) I stopped at CVS to get a new glue stick. They did not have any. I then went to Big Lots, the did not have any. Went to Walgreens and got a glue stick. Got home and Amazon had delivered glue stick I ordered day before. I am going to try the freezer paper on one of the designs that have the same pattern used multiple times.

Comment

Sandy,
        I admire your determination!

Judy

Comment

I am struggling.
          I prewashed my fabrics with Synthrapol and made sure they would not run. So I got off to a slower start.
          For my first block, I tried the Appliquick with glue stick and had problems with thick globs of glue at the points, which frayed badly in trying to get them turned exactly on the lines at the points. It dried with hard lumpy points.
          I put that block aside and started over and tried back-basting applique on the second block. This is not going well. I like the back-basting technique, but I think these mirror-image papercut appliques with sharp points and narrow curves are not the best for beginning back-basting. You have to get everything right on the lines for it to look right. I think it would be better to learn back-basting with more natural shaped applique... like flowers.

So now I have to decide between two options:
          (1) Keep going and accept "not perfect" blocks, hoping that by the time I am finished with the 39 applique blocks in this quilt, I should be a lot better at back-basting applique. This will take longer.
          (2) Start over, choosing an applique method I am already experianced with. This will be quicker.

Judy

Comment

Judy, use a very light touch with glue, not big amounts, tiny bits.

Only you can decide how perfect your blocks have to be to make you happy. Each method has advantages and disadvantages. I think it is good to try a variety of methods to learn your favorite. And some designs are better with one method over another. The symmetrical paper-cut style blocks are more fiddly then the blocks with larger shapes/pieces.

Try to enjoy the learning curve, you'll get there.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
            North Alabama, USA
            "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Judy, Sorry to hear you are struggling. Take the time to find sources that have you tubes on the parts of the process that you are struggling with. What type of
              glue stick are you using? I use both Elmers school washable sticks and Fons and Porter glue sticks. The Elmers is a lot cheaper and I use on areas that are not
              sharp curves or points. For the fiddly stuff I use the Fons and Porter because of small size is easier to control. Are you putting the glue on the fabric seam , on the stabilizer
              or both? I usually just put it on the seam allowance. I learned a lot from Kathy McNeil about gluing. You might google her name and you tubes to watch how she does
              it. Another person's you tubes to watch is Pearl Pierera from 3P Designs. She does the turned edge with starch but the process is much like glue. She is just
              using a paint brush to put starch on the seams where we are putting the glue. As you get better and become happy with a process that works for you,
              you might even decide to redo a few of the first ones. You can always swap them out later if in the end you think they detract from the final quilt. Keep us posted
              on your progress. HelenW

Comment

Judy, One more idea for you to try on your applique. I ran across a you tube (2 min. long) for front basting by machine. If you type Liza Prior Lucy Fall 2010 Quilt Market and
                the words you tube you will get it. She draws the sewing line. Cuts the applique shape out 1/4 inch bigger, then large stitch bastes by machine on the line.
                She does needle turn by hand just pulling out a few basting stitches ahead of her needle. She says it gives the fabric a memory where the machine stitched and makes
                it easy to do good needleturn. I have not tried it, but it sounds easier than back basting. HelenW

Comment

Wow, Helen, what a great little video! I am going to try this on my next appliqué block—thank you!

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I decided to use my batik collection for my blocks and was going to use invisible thread machine applique but have changed my mind. For the first block I did the flower head over a foundation and appliqued it down as one unit. Now I am using the freezer paper (doubled) and starch method. I can cope with the outer points but it I the inner curves that are proving tricky.

Comment

Barbara and Helen,
                      Thank you for your advice about the amount of glue to use. I can see that this is a major part of my problem. In my struggle to get some of the small sides turned under with gluestick and the Appliquick rods, I would get them down a little off the line (which looked bad with these formal mirror-shaped appliques. By then, the glue would start to dry and harden, and I would put more gluestick on, which just made it thicker and lumpier. Not good!
                      Part of my problem is that after removing some of the back-basting stitches and fussing with those little fiddly shapes, I could not tell where the turn/seam line was anymore. So basically I was ending up eyeballing where the turn/seam line was supposed to be, which didn't work very well with this type of applique.
                      I am using dark applique fabric. So yesterday after my quilt guild meeting, I took a few scraps of my fabric to my local quilt shop and bought some new markers to try on it. I bought a Clover white marking pen and tried it out at the store. It didn't work well at all.
                      The clerk let me try the white and yellow frixion pens at the store. Neither the clerk nor I could see the marked lines on the dark fabric, so that didn't work either. I also bought some white chalk markers, because I watched Becky Goldsmith's method in her TQS show, of using chalk around a template.
                      I went to Pearl Peirera's 3P website and watched how she does it, and learned a whole lot.
                      I also found a great little YouTube video of Suzanne Marshall showing Ricky Tims how to needleturn a sharp point. I found it on YouTube, but could not find the show on TQS. Looked like a good one.
                      This morning I found the Liza Lucy Prior front-basting video, where she machine bastes on the front by machine. That looks logical and promising.
                      So thank you, Barbara and Helen, for all your help! I am going to keep on trying. Can't help it. I have to master this. I don't care how long it takes.
                      Judy

Comment

Suzanne Marshall is show #203.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Suzanne Marshall's show is great and well worth watching. Suzanne is one of my favourite applique artists, her work is so wonderfully creative. More so, she is so wonderfully unassuming given her immense talent.

Comment

Pemela and Barbara, Just watched the Suzanne Marshall show again. I was never interested in needleturn applique in the past, but since
                            we have been chatting about in on this project, I am planning on giving it a try. It was a great show, and I immediately recognized her quilts even
                            though I don't remember watching the show but I think I have watched all the shows. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2345 users online. 197 members and 2148 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                            Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X