Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

How Do YOU Appliqué?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jean, try different products/methods to see which you like best. I just made one of the blocks by hand appliqué using heavy duty freezer paper as the templates. No reason to stick with the same product throughout.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I have been a bit frustrated because for the first time in over forty years, I had to have a repair on a sewing machine. Got it back, and it was great for two days. Took it again, and had one blissful afternoon of sewing. Yesterday, it wouldn’t turn on at all. Thankfully, I have a decent backup machine and could make two shoe fly blocks today.

Comment

Barb, you mentioned heavy duty freezer paper. I just got some Reynolds freezer paper but it is very thin, much thinner than my old roll, and it doesn't stick, at least to the loose weave fabric for the leaf appliques on Sizzle. Where could I find heavy duty freezer paper? Thanks, Kathy

I see that Amazon has Cut-Rite heavy duty freezer paper sheets, pack of 25 sheets that states it is 3 times heavier than regular freezer paper. There are other freezer papers that come in sheets, most of their review say that they are thin. Is the Cut-Rite the product you used?

Comment

Some are asking about heavy duty freezer paper. I use freezer paper sheets that fit through your printer from Traditional Primitives. Missie Carpenter suggests printing your design and then ironing two sheets together for her starch method of English paper piecing, but I use this same method for applique. https://traditionalprimitives.com/premium-freezer-paper/

Comment

Kathy,

https://www.amazon.com/Cut-Rite-heavy-freezer-paper/dp/B01N5I4XAB

This is the brand I used. My local quilt shop carries it, those working with wool like it.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

I'll have to order some from Amazon. Joann's doesn't carry it, nor does the next quilt shop over from mine. I wouldn't mind ironing two sheets of the thinner stuff together to get the right thickness, but it doesn't even stick to the fabric. Thanks for your info, I appreciate it! Kathy

Comment

I like C Jenkins heavy freezer paper, precut to work in your printer. I find it works very well for applique. I order mine from Missouri Star Quilt Company. 50 sheets for $8.25. You can also order it from Amazon. I am almost out of the C Jenkins freezer paper. I will order the CutRite and try it too.

I am not very good at posting pictures. Here goes.

Comment

I like C Jenkins heavy freezer paper, precut to work in your printer. I find it works very well for applique. I order mine from Missouri Star Quilt Company. 50 sheets for $8.25. You can also order it from Amazon.
                  I am not very good at posting pictures. Here goes.

Comment

Hi "callenderquilts" - thank you for the ScanNcut option ! I’ve done some homework and sent the blocks to CanvasWorkSpace on Pc. I finally managed to cut out the appliqué shapes to my ScanNcut - using Heat&Bond lite. Will also make a second version with Wash-Away Applique Sheets for blocks 1&2.
                    /*———————————*
                    Claire D
                    Montreal, Quebec (Canada)

Comment

I am in the same boat. I did a bit of research and as the suggested Appli-web paper is out of stock, I went looking. Appli-web is produced by RNK (Floriani). They produce a product called Wet n Gone Fusible that has all the same principles as Appli-Web. The only catch is that it comes on a 9" x 10 yard roll rather than sheets. But no matter, I will cut it into sheets with only having to waste 1/2" on the 9" side. I found it online at Red Rock Threads and they shipped it the same day I ordered. I'd like to support The Quilt Show store, however I feel I need to get going or I'll never catch up! Just my thoughts here.
                      Sharon

Comment

Judith, I ordered the C Jenkins freezer paper from amazon, and tried it out. It sticks to the fabric and is heavy enough to be stable when turning the edges. Yay! Now I can finish my Sizzle quilt. Thank goodness for the resourceful people on TQS. At some point if I use up the C Jenkins freezer paper I will try out the Cut Rite also. For now I am happy to be able to move onward. Kathy

Comment

Kathyst2, just know the Cut Rite Heavy Duty freezer paper is about the weight of cardstock.

North Alabama, USA

Comment

Wow, that is very thick. I'm not sure it would go through my printer. The C Jenkins is working great, so much better than the freezer paper on rolls. I have 3 rolls of it, I'm not sure what I can do with it now . Kathy

Comment

Kathy, On the current TQS show Ricky used it to clean threads off his design wall. I cut a large piece and put it shiny side down on the ironing board press it down to keep glue and fusible off the actual board. When it gets dirty I just pull it off and throw it away. When you square up really large blocks or panels and don't have large square up rulers,
                              just cut freezer paper sections iron them together until it is big enough, then iron to the panel and use your ruler to trim to size. It works great. I have also done the same thing
                              with large artist sheets of tracing paper. Put together with clear tape, tape to the top of panel and I have a perfect square up on a large project. HelenW

Comment

Kathy, Found another use for all your freezer paper. Pearl of P3 Designs has a great way to use freezer paper to organize and transport your applique pieces or units.Lay
                                prepared shapes right side of fabric face down on ironing surface. Wrong side is face up. Take a piece of freezer paper cut to normal paper size and lay it shiny side down
                                directly on top the applique shape. Iron the paper side of freezer paper, which sticks the shiny side to the applique.
                                This lets you transport units or pieces to classes, quilting get togethers or just to organize them for easy access. Love this idea. Have not tried it yet.
                                HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2393 users online. 226 members and 2167 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,228   Posts: 155,194   Members: 25613   Active Members: 1,198  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X