Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Paper Choices

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Choices

I am testing 3 different "vellum" papers today on a Sizzle block. Here are my results:

1. C&T Simple Foundations Translucent Vellum Paper--this is the product Becky recommends and it is included in the Accessory Kit:
    This is the medium weight of the 3 papers I am testing. It works well, is easy to run through my printer, ink doesn't smear, and tears off pretty easily, It curls just a bit but not enough to be a problem.

2. Master's Touch Tracing Pad, 25 lb., 9" x 12"--bought at Hobby Lobby.
    This is the thinnest of the 3 papers I am testing. I had to trim to 8.5" for the printer. Even though I separated each of the 8 sheets from the stack to "un-stick" them, each time I printed 8 copies, one page stuck to another and I had to re-print that one--and had one page printed on regular paper. The ink also smeared a bit even days after printing. It curled the most of the 3. It was easy to remove.

3. Vellum Paper Value Pack, bought from Amazon online. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y24GZPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&ps c=1
    This the thickest of the 3 papers I am testing. It printed easily, the ink did not smear but the thickness of the paper made it difficult to press the fabrics as they were added. It took a hard press to get the fabrics as flat as possible, without having a pleat at the seam. It was more difficult to remove than the other two papers, I really had to pull the paper away from the stitches.

I know a couple people who like to use lightweight tracing paper. They have to print one page at a time since the thin paper does not feed easily in their printers. This would be inconvenient for me--the printer is on the other side of the house from my studio where my computer is.

So, for now, I am sticking with the C&T vellum paper. It does what I need it to do and is dependable.

If you search online for "vellum" be aware there are many weights and levels of transparency. Much of the vellum I saw online was being marketed for Wedding Invitations--the little page that goes between the fancy papers. Those are most likely too thick and not transparent enough for paper piecing quilt blocks, especially complex designs like these.

If you have a paper you love, please let us know about it.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
    North Alabama, USA
    "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

<I am testing 3 different "vellum" papers today on a Sizzle block. >

Thanks Barbara! I would have thought to try to print tracing paper.
    I have both the C&T vellum paper and the Amazon Vellum paper. I am going with the Amazon product because it goes through my laser printer most of the time. I have LOTS of trouble with the C&T product in the laser printer. I do have an ink jet printer, but hate to use up ink when I can use the laser printer.

Comment

Office Depot Translucent Vellum Paper, Item #345854, 50 sheets 11 x 17 for $13.99 (cut in half for 100 sheets 8 1/2 x 11). It comes on a pad so the pages have to be pulled loose. I did a test years ago with C & T's paper and a few others and this is my favorite.

Comment

Thanks for all this info, I haven't started yet!

Comment

I found a copy of the test I did in my saved email files with C&T back in 2010. That was when I first discovered the Office Depot vellum after trying a multiple of paper options. I tried to get them to improve the quality of the Simple Foundations paper and make it more affordable but that didn't happen. With my paper piecing technique I use a lot of paper since I need an extra 1/2" past the edge of the seam allowance for my guidelines. I used to use Carol Doak's newsprint but after getting it jammed in my printer several times and having to pull it out piece by piece with tweezers I gave up on that. Using a Loading Support Sheet that comes with the Epson Photo papers helped if I remembered to use it. Also I really like the fact that you can see the lines on the back of the paper with vellum since occasionally I will turn the paper over and sew on the lines instead of sewing with the fabric on top. Plus I never have to deal with mirror images.

Here are my results from the test:

1. The Office Depot (O.D.) paper printed considerably better than the Simple Foundations (S.F.) paper on my Canon inkjet printer, slightly better on my Epson inkjet printer, and about the same on my HP all-in-one printed as a copy.

2. The S.F. paper curls considerably more than the O.D. paper when pressed with a hot iron. S.F. paper on left with orange fabric in photo. This can be controlled some by turning the paper over and pressing on the back side. Also try using a mini iron and pressing only the seam allowance or use a wooden pressing tool with no heat.

3. The O.D. paper is noticeably easier to remove from the seams when pulling paper back for trimming seams, from the seam allowances during block assembly, and from the finished blocks. My hands and fingers do not tire as easily with this paper.

Hope this helps any of you who haven't purchased your paper yet. No guarantee on how the paper will work with your printer though as all printers are different.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your examples.
            Because I am always looking for a better PP paper I did a search on Office Depot and used your Item #345854 in the search From what I could see online, plain ol' Office Depot tracing vellum in a 11x17 pad no longer has the grid. I don't think the grid would matter to me, but I am curious how you got your PP design to print on the grid, especially if you cut down the 11x17?!

Comment

There is no grid on the vellum paper. My documents have the grid on them which I draw in Illustrator.

Comment

<<There is no grid on the vellum paper. My documents have the grid on them which I draw in Illustrator.>>
                Ah-ha! I, too, use Illustrator for making my own paper piecing patterns, especially for miniatures.
                I will be sad when my current (old) Mac has to be replaced as I can still run the CS Illustrator and Photoshop. I just can't justify (or afford) the CC Illustrator.

Comment

I'm using an old Mac too from 2009. Updated it once but it's been awhile. I have CS4.

Comment

Thank you Annis and Holly.
                    Judy

Comment

How about using regular paper? anything wrong with that I FOUND A FEW SHEETS OF Fun-Dation in my stash, from several years ago but I have now run out after the first block, and wither i will have to order online for more, or simply try paper.

Comment

You can use regular copy paper. It is thicker than vellum or tracing paper, which is why many people use those instead. If it works for you, use it since you have it.

https://bbquiltmaker.blogspot.com
                        North Alabama, USA
                        "I am a part of all that I have met" A. Lord Tennyson

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2870 users online. 525 members and 2345 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                        Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X