Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Marking quilt and quilting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharon, your quilt is lovely! Thank you so much for the closeup attachment too--I'm curious about what looks like the letter "P" quilted into the border?

Comment

Renata, I did what Janet did on her quilt. I shadow quilted all the letters around the border. If you follow the machine embroidery every so often is a letter. It's very subtle, but looks great on the quilt. The "a" starts on the left side by the tree and then goes around with the "z" ending back on the left border tree.

Thanks for the lovely comments.

Sharon

Comment

WOW!!! Sharon, this is gorgeous. You have inspired me to get back to mine. Still need to do blue borders with applique', etc., etc. but your cross hatching is so great I can't wait to give it a try myself. Good luck at the show you've entered this in. Sure looks like a big winner to me!
        Charae

in 'Yes, I Know the Way to San Jose...', California, USA

Comment

Hi Sharon, I love the shadow quilted letters on your quilt (all the quilting is beautiful), how did you do the shadow quilting for the letters on the border? I put off the quilting on my 2014 BOM, however it's going really well and not as daunting as I thought it would be Good Luck in the show, it looks like a winner to me.
          Best wishes Pam

Comment

Thanks Pam for the lovely comments. I actually scrutinized Janet's quilt and got on Word on my computer and started playing with fonts that could be quilted easily. I then printed them, cut them out and then traced them on the quilt. I made them big enough to see. I believe for the a, c, etc. they were about 1" big and then, of course, the d, f, h letters were bigger than 1", probably 2" when all quilted. For the letters that had holes, i.e., d, o, p, etc. I did stipple in those areas to recede that part. Also after I quilted the letter I went around it very closely as an outline, probably less than 1/8". That way when I did the stippling, it had somewhere to rest and not get "into" the letter. I hope this makes sense. I will look through my pictures and see if there is a better closeup of a letter or two to show you. Its interesting to hear people at the shows, go "Oh, she quilted letters into the border" because you don't see them until you get up close.

Comment

Sorry ladies these pictures are big, but hopefully it will help with how I did it. I have to admit, I am not very creative and really do try to match the original quilting. I need to get out of my box one of these days.

Sharon in CO

Comment

Nothing like learning from the experts before you jump out of that box.

Comment

Sharon, a big THANK YOU for the detailed information on how you went about doing the quilted border letters! AND for the pictures too, I'm about half-way on making the letter blocks and am ready to get moving on finishing it up. More pictures would be terrific!

Comment

Yes Sharon - thanks for posting more pictures and details!
                    Barb

Comment

Lois, Janet is a fantastic expert.

Beverly, one thing about this quilt is it fussy, meaning lots of details and it drove me crazy. I need to get it out to lay out for the fair coming up and will try to take some close up pictures. Mine is by no means perfect, but very happy with it.

Sharon

Comment

Sharon thank you so much for the details, photos and explaining how to shadow quilt the border letters, your help is very much appreciated. This was such a lovely quilt to make and now I am enjoying quilting it. More pictures would be terrific but I am more than grateful for your help.
                        Best Wishes Pam

Comment

You already know how much I love your quilt, Sharon!

Thought I would pipe up with another idea for marking the letters for quilting. What I would probably try instead of marking, would be to print the letters on freezer paper and cut them out. Then iron them on the quilt and quilt around the freezer paper. Then you don't have to mark and it's really easy to see the edges of the letters since you can print them in any color that contrasts with the background fabric. Just a thought for others, since I just don't have time to make this quilt myself.

Comment

Sharon, I look forward to every picture you want to post! Nancy, great idea on the freezer paper. Sharon, when marking any areas of your quilt, what did you use?

Comment

Beverly, I used a Frixion on the cream background and actually used it for the letters too. I did test it first and quilted the letters very carefully. Nancy, that is a great idea for transferring any designs or letters to the quilt. I am entering her in a little quilt show in the park in Berthoud next weekend. Just a fun little show and a car show for the guys.

More pictures in the next few days.

Sharon

Comment

One other comment on marking, on the darker areas I like to use a chalk pencil and have very good results with it.

Sharon

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2002 users online. 166 members and 1836 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X