Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

An April Fools joke?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An April Fools joke?

Ok, so I had printed the 4th pattern early on April first.... finally got a bit of time this afternoon to start it. OK, I'm naïve as far as quilting symbols go.... so was wondering WHY some of the measurements had Just inch measurements and half of them had measurements with little squares after them [most all in the J block].... seemed a little odd, but I cut my E block fabrics to the written numbers....BIG mistake!!! Things were going together weird.... NOW I know that the little squares stand for 'finished size', or something to that nature...? I have an older XP desktop-[from which I first printed the months patterns] now on a Windows 8 laptop... where I'm getting different measurements-larger to add seam allowances..... have re-printed the month's sheets....
    DID THIS HAPPEN TO ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE?????? Was the pattern first posted like that??? Or am I going crazy????
    back to the cutting board....sigh : (

So sorry to hear that you had trouble with your printed pattern, but I can assure you that TQS would never post a wrong pattern as an April Fool's joke! I have a feeling that it was a snafoo with your computer/printer.

I don't know what kind of little squares you are getting, but wonder if it's a replacement for the inches (") sign in the instructions?? I didn't get any squares in mine and am not aware of a difference for finished size, unless Janet specified it with words.

You will probably have better luck if you "save" your instructions to your computer first, then print from the saved file rather than printing directly from the web site.

Good luck with your second attempt.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I agree Margo, they wouldn't put wrong measurements down... BUT I don't think these are actually wrong- not IF the little squares DO stand for 'finished size', which I really think they do.
      I know you have a lot of quilting knowledge....
      i just scanned the first 3 pages... is there some way i can attach them, to show you the squares?
      G

Comment

Do you have the latest Adobe Reader? We're up to Adobe XI. I agree with Margo, this is something on your computer doing this. Download the file first to your computer. Those symbols would come up on various forums (not tqs) when people were using Ipads and would use different punctuation marks. I haven't seen it in awhile. If you are now using your windows 8 machine, consider using the older xp machine for printing to see if the problem persists. I know it's a PIA, but if I were you, I'd be inclined to try to sort out the problem now.

Comment

Thanks for the info Sue!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Susan. My old computer does do weird things from time to time...perhaps an auto- update happened since the first- because yesterday, the pattern looked fine- without the squares... or maybe they DID appear in the printing transfer....??? Altho that seems even weirder to me... i have an older version of embroidery software- the 3D, and it won't work on higher than XP, so we've been nursing this old one along! : }
            Do you know if little squares in quilt patterns are used for 'finished size'????

Comment

Those squares are showing up in the cutting directions, so they are NOT intended to designate "finished size".

Comment

well, i have the correct measurements cut now....
                so, to twist Scarlet's words....
                Sewing. My space. I'll go back, and think of a way to get it right, After all, tomorrow is another day......

Scarlett O'Hara:
                "Tara. Home. I'll go home, and I'll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day"

Comment

Fortunately, once fabric is prepped and cut and pieces organized, these blocks seem to go together quickly. Have fun!

If you have to re-cut, there are lots of substitute fabrics that will work nicely!

Comment

I'm just getting started on A -Z and I cut A, F and G with no problem. The problem comes in the next set of instructions for B, C and D. I am doing this through a quilt shop and the owner is on vacation for 3 weeks. Could someone help me with the correct dimensions for cutting? It almost looks like the little squares should represent 1/2". The 7/8 and 3/8 come out just fine.

Comment

If you email me privately, I'll email you a pdf that has all of the fractions printing correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
                        If you email me privately, I'll email you a pdf that has all of the fractions printing correctly.
                        I actually found the instructions on the website. I was so frustrated that we were given instructions that obviously weren't reviewed before handing them out. Since I literally joined the website last night and couldn't cut the second month's blocks I decided to go poking around the site to see what it was about. Lo and behold I found them. Printed them and since it was so late I'll finish cutting after work today. But thank you so much for such a quick reply.

Comment

Welcome to the website! It's a great place. Yes, there are mistakes in the directions, but if you follow this forum, they usually get posted as a heads-up from someone with a fix. The ones we know about are now fixed and will say so somewhere in red. This is an awesome quilt, in person and to make. I like to remember that any BOM from other sources costs about $35 a month and they have mistakes, too. So do published books, so be patient with "us" :lol: :lol:

Someone will always post within a couple of hours if you have questions, some of us having bigger mouths than others.

Have you seen this link???

http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/alb...e8b4nqnn6am5f8

Comment

Someone will always post within a couple of hours if you have questions, some of us having bigger mouths than others.
                            Ain't that the truth here. Oh where is a like button when you need it!

PS welcome to the forum quiltcrazy57 Somerset, stay in touch, it is always nice to 'meet' new folks here.

Comment

Welcome to the website! It's a great place. Yes, there are mistakes in the directions, but if you follow this forum, they usually get posted as a heads-up from someone with a fix. The ones we know about are now fixed and will say so somewhere in red. This is an awesome quilt, in person and to make. I like to remember that any BOM from other sources costs about $35 a month and they have mistakes, too. So do published books, so be patient with "us" :lol: :lol:

Have you seen this link???

http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/alb...e8b4nqnn6am5f8
                              Thanks. I too am one of those who speaks up. I'm really excited about doing this quilt. The picture and kit in my boss's office really drew me. I was hoping she would ask me to do the shop sample but alas, she didn't. I've got the first two months cut and the heat n bond traced. Once I get back from Montana I'll get sewing. I'm quick so I'll catch up. I'm glad this forum is here, otherwise, I'd have to wait until she comes back from vacation to do the second month. I used to tape Alex's shows when she was on HGTV. Really sorry they're gone.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2038 users online. 184 members and 1854 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X