Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Starching fabric and fusible webbing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margo, then you have to spritz with water? I've found that when I air dry big pieces I have wrinkles that won't come out dry. Hmmm, maybe I should try again?

Comment

No! I do make an effort to have the fabrics as flat and smooth as possible when they air dry, then just a shot of steam makes the fabric nice and crisp with no wrinkles anywhere!
      That's why I use beach towels. They are large enough to lay out a 1.5 yard piece of fabric nice and flat.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

My favorite way to iron larger lengths of wrinkled fabric (both starched and non-starched):
        I make sure it is squared up first by tearing a strip off each end. Then I open it up and hang it lengthwise on a clothesline outside on my screened deck. I hang it lengthwise with the center fold over the clothesline. I make sure the ends and the selvages line up, and smooth it out a little. Hope this makes sense.
        If it is a really long piece -like for quilt backing, etc.- I will fold it back on itself, and hang it doubled. Hope this makes sense.

If I want to put it in my stash, I just take it down when dry and fold it. It is all squared up. No ironing needed.

If it is a large piece that I want to use starched for a current project, I starch it and hang it on the clothesline overnight and iron it the next morning. The moist night air leaves a touch of moisture in the fabric overnight. It is just barely dampened the next morning- not sopping wet in some spots and dry in others.
        It is very quick and easy to iron the next morning.

I only do this for larger lengths of fabric, which are hard for me to deal with otherwise.

Comment

I tried what Janet and Marilyn suggested and now my stress is over...at least until something else stumps me! The muslin on he ironing surface works great and letting the starch dry a bit has made all the difference in the world. I sewed and pressed all day yesterday and there were no starch flakes at all. Margo, I'll remember the beach towel next time I have to starch a large piece.

I also want to try using the freezer paper as an ironing surface as Ritzy suggested.

Gotta love our TQS community!!

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."...quote courtesy of Dr. Seuss

Comment

Call me conFUSED, but here is what I just read in my Laura Wasilowski email today:

"When using batik fabrics, wash the fabric before applying fusible web. Many fabrics, like batiks, are sold with a sizing or starch on them. This sizing can interfere with the bonding process when using fusible web. Washing the batik fabrics assures you of a better bond when fusing."

Since I do a lot of fused projects, this 'starch - no starch' issue is become puzzling to me. Obviously Laura's method works well for her as does Janet's and Margo's work well for them. They all have had great success over the years. If an appliqué is stitched down with embroidery or appliqué stitches, then I guess it really isn't an issue. But, since my small fused art projects have some appliqué pieces that have no stitches on them to secure them, I choose the no starch method for them. The fusing (adhesive) is all that will hold it in place.

That being said, I WILL starch my larger fused appliqué projects that get buttonhole/appliqué stitched. The top stitching is the decision maker for me.

Dawn
            In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Good plan, Dawn! And....nice to see you back on the forum! You've been missed!

Comment

There may be a difference between the commercial sizing/starch and the watered down starch that we use!

Comment

I believe some of the residue left in batiks is wax. That may make a difference too. I guess the answer is test your fabric with your technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                    Same from me too, and a big Hiya! to DebbieWolf too. Long time no see... Hope all is well with you both.

PS Debbie - I found an easier way of running exchanges :wink: Let them do it themselves, like this http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...yourself-style

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                      Originally posted by Margo
                      Same from me too, and a big Hiya! to DebbieWolf too. Long time no see... Hope all is well with you both.

PS Debbie - I found an easier way of running exchanges :wink: Let them do it themselves, like this http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...yourself-style
                      Amen to that , Rosemary! All is well here. How about with your family?

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."...quote courtesy of Dr. Seuss

Comment

All is well. It is Birthday Party time, but I've got it easier this year, I've convinced Izzy that it would be fun to go bowling with a couple of friends (now she is at 'big school') instead of having to entertain 8-10 with a party at home, with the neverending pass-the-parcel ( I stop counting the layers after about 20+ :wink: ) and having to build a pinata for attempted destruction.

Need to make the cake this evening, and try a bit of tidying up too :roll: ah well!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2100 users online. 247 members and 1853 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X