Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Future BOMs

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future BOMs

I am not sure this is the right forum to post this to but I would like to suggest to TQS that in future BOMs Accuquilt and Sizzix die numbers are included in the cutting instructions. I am sure I am not the only one who relies on one of those machines to cut in order to be able to do patchwork.
    The EDeN chart is a great help and I for one rely heavily on this but seeing TQS is sponsored by Accuquilt it seems a no-brainer that at least the die numbers for their system should be included. This years BOM especially is a pain to translate because the cutting instructions make oversized blocks that then have to be cut down so I was put off from the start. Today I have watched the Smilebox slide show and regret not taking part but having now committed to another BOM quilt I just thought I would suggest that it could be a good idea to include die numbers in future BOM projects.

Marianne

Very good idea. I will pass it on to our people working with the BOMs. Thank you.
    Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco

Comment

I think that is a great idea. I also try to use my Accuquilt as much as I can.
      Livermore, California, USA near San Francisco

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne-is-sewing
        suggest to TQS that in future BOMs Accuquilt and Sizzix die numbers are included in the cutting instructions...
        The EDeN chart is a great help
        Marianne
        EDeN stands for Equivalent Die Notation System, a system of standardizing the labeling of dies across cutting systems, developed by Ebony Love. I believe it actually helped Accuquilt label their dies more accurately, for finished sizes.

While I LOVE my Accuquilt Studio and dies, and look for ways to use them in all my projects, I'd like to note the highly customized nature and variety of techniques in all of the TQS BOM's. I don't want to be buying new dies for a couple of cut pieces (dies to the tune of a minimum of $20 a piece.

SO, while it may be useful for us TQS members to have this information included, I would hate to see the quality and complexity of the BOM patterns reduced to accommodate Accuquilt use, and I would feel sad if a designer were thwarted in the design process by a requirement that such information be included. There are several other forums with quilts made entirely by using dies.

Geez, I seem to have an opinion on everything :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

Sue I am glad to hear your opinion on this - particularly as you have a Go cutter. I do not have a Go cutter, nor will I be getting one because even the baby Go is too expensive here even without the dyes. I think that the TQS team are aware of the varied locations and abilities of their members and the fact that some of us don't have access to the latest must-have gadget. I was pleased to see that the video instructions for this years BOM are including ways to achieve different elements without the gadgets as well as with. Long may it continue. (Looks like I have an opinion on everything too! :lol: )

Comment

I also have an Accuquilt and use it frequently, but agree with the last two comments.

Comment

I would love to have the EdEN system added to the BOM. However, I believe that a designer needs permission from Ebony to use it in printed directions. The system is free on her website for those who want to use to use it along with a printed pattern. I have been collecting dies as money permits and if I can use a die more than one time I will get it. Sometimes after I get the die it's amazing how many more designs I start to notice that can actually use that die than I first thought. I don't find it all that difficult to convert a design using the Eden system. I don't think it would diminish a BOM design but enhance it, for those of us who have the Go and the use of our hands are starting to get a little arthritis! :P Do whatever works for you, if it's the way the designer does it using the tools they present, great, if you find another way to accomplish the end result, that's good to. In the end it's all good.

Comment

The Whom it may concern,
                I apologise for having raised this issue as there are obviously some members who feels it is inappropriate for the forum. I am so sorry. Sadly I do not know how to remove the Topic I started so no more members can be upset by it. I will abstain from future participation in the forum and go play with other arthritis sufferers in the forums referred to.
                I pray that those of you who can still wield a rotary cutter will never succumb to this debilitating condition that can hit anybody from the age of 35! Before I leave for good can I point out to those of you who feels that a BOM worthy of TQS can not be done with die cutting the fabric that Sue Garman's 2009 and 2010 (pieced) designs can be made almost entirely using die cut fabric.

Kind regards
                Marianne

Comment

Marianne, I don't think this topic is inappropriate for the Forum and am not upset by discussing this! I think that's the joy of our forum, we can discuss and not be totally obnoxious (most of the time :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I, too, have arthritis in my hands, back and shoulders, so I know what a joy the Accuquilt system is.

I've been known to remove my own posts in the after-thoughts when I thought I was out of line, but am not sure about eliminating a whole topic.

Please stay with us!

Comment

Marianne, I agree with Susan! Please don't go! Even John thinks this is an idea worth considering!!

Who knows? Maybe AccuQuilt would consider making specific dies just for a BOM project!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Marianne, please don't feel bad and don't go. I think the use of the die cutter is great for those who need them, or just want to use them. Yes, I have a Go! cutter. One of the nicest things about the forum is we are all free to voice our opinions. Some agree with us and some don't. We are still great friends, a quilting family you could say. Please stay with us. And please continue voicing your suggestions and opinions.

Comment

Marianne,
                        Your suggestion may help a lot of people - including me - as I have arthritis and carpal tunnel. My hands are very weak. My GO cutter and dies are a blessing. I use them whenever I can. And yes, they are expensive.

Comment

Oh, heck ! Don't leave ! and don't be sorry you brought it up !! This exchange of info and opinion is one of
                          the many wonderful things about this forum ! I've have multiple surgeries on both hands and arthritis, too.
                          No cutter...tho friends have suggested I try it. I just haven't made the justification for the expense ! I don't
                          care if others use one ! And I think a good designer can figure out how one can be used in project....they are
                          everywhere these days ! Please...think it it over.....

Comment

The great thing about this forum is that it's a place for a discussion about issues to do with quilting. That means that people have different points of view - and long may it continue thus. Marianne, I too suffer with very bad arthritis in my left hand but I still can't justify a go cutter (I would rather spend the money on fabric :wink: ), and I am only 35! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                              and I am only 35! :lol: :lol: :lol:
                              Really!???!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Dang, Rita, that's pretty good for someone who's been singing professionally for what, 30 years? :lol:

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2102 users online. 248 members and 1854 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X