Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

the "f" block and flying geese

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the "f" block and flying geese

I have finished making the "f" block, but I think there may be a mistake in some of the measurements on the pattern. Is anyone else having a problem?

I found that my flying geese measured 2 1/4 inches when unfinished (rather than the 2 1/2 inches the pattern calls for--the cutting instructions calls for squares of 2 5/8" which does not allow much ease to reduce to 2 1/2"). If the finished size of the flying geese is 2" x 3", and there are 8 flying geese.....that would make the background rectangle 8 x 2" or 16 inches and not the 12 1/2 inches called for.

My finished flying geese strip measures 13 1/2 inches, not the 12 1/2 inches that the cutting instructions say it should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

When you trim the unit the measurements on page 9 says to trim to 2" by 3½". When sewn together the block will measure 12½"

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

thank you for your reply. My copy of the instructions on page 9 says to trim to 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. I will re-trim to 2" x 3 1/2". Thank you again.

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by sharans
        thank you for your reply. My copy of the instructions on page 9 says to trim to 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. I will re-trim to 2" x 3 1/2". Thank you again.
        Thanks for pointing this out. I printed out the directions right after the 1st of the month, and they have the correct measurement. But when I checked out the directions today, they DO have the wrong measurement. I'm not sure what happened there, but I will see if I can get that fixed! Thanks, and I hope it didn't cause you too much ripping out!
        Back to Quilting!

Comment

I thought I was going crazy (and I just finished Block A so I might be) but I printed instructions this morning and my page 9 also says trim to 2 1/2" x 3 1/2". Before starting over I checked here and found the answer. Thanks now back to trimming.

Sandy

Comment

Thank goodness I found this! I thought I was going crazy too because mine was not going to be 2 1/2 by 3 1/2.
            It will definitely be 2 x 3 1/2.

Thanks!

Comment

I am loving how you make the flying geese blocks and would like to make all future FG in the same manner. Can you tell me how you arrive at the cut size of the blocks?
              Thanks
              Firequilt

Comment

Originally posted by firequilt
                I am loving how you make the flying geese blocks and would like to make all future FG in the same manner. Can you tell me how you arrive at the cut size of the blocks?
                Thanks
                Firequilt
                Here is my method for other sizes of FG blocks:
                The method I have figured out is, whatever FINISHED size FG unit you want, add on 1 3/4" to the large square, and 1 1/4" to the 4 small squares. For example, if you want a finished 2" x 4" FG unit, cut the large square 5 3/4" ( 4" + 1 3/4") and the 4 small squares 3 1/4" (2" + 1 1/4"). Of course you will waste almost a quarter inch of fabric on each side, but that has never bothered me. I prefer a little more fabric to trim down to get the perfect size unit.
                Back to Quilting!

Comment

Love your oversizing and cutting to size method. I haven't done many quilts with flying geese but when I have done them, as well as half square triangles, I've had less than satisfactory results. This method is working great for me. Glueing instead of pinning has been a wonderful help also. I have learned so much from you and my skills have improved by leaps and bounds. I have only machine pieced 7 quilts and a handful of small wall quilts since I started quilting about 10 years ago. However, now that I have retired I can finally dedicate more time to my passion and maybe learn to do a better job. That in turn will make it more enjoyable for me. Thank you Janet, you are making it fun.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2108 users online. 240 members and 1868 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X