Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Machine applique puckers

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine applique puckers

I have been practicing the double blanket stitch and am using solvy (medium weight) for the stabilizer. It looks okay until I put it in water to dissolve the stabilizer. Then it gets very puckered. It looks the same whether I use the stabilizer or not. The background and applique fabric have both been prewashed and I am using steam a seam 2 light to attach the applique piece. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to but something in the quilt that will puckered this bad when it is washed.

I am using Masterpiece in the bobbin and King Tut for the top. I love the look of the variegated thread.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Diana

I'm not familiar with Solvy stabilizer. Anyone else? Are you starching your fabrics beforehand? You might want to check the tension on your machine with your blanket stitch. If it's set too tight, it may cause puckering. Have you pressed the piece after it has dried? Maybe pressing with a shot of steam would help. Did you buy the kit or using your own fabrics? I've never had any issues with puckering using Ricky Tims Stable Stuff stabilizer, so I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.
    Back to Quilting!

Comment

I know what puckering is, but can we still see a picture of what it looks like?

Andrée

Comment

I have used Solvy. Solvy can be very stretchy - especially the lighter and medium weights. Solvy is great for some applications - such as a topping for machine embroidery on towels or other highly textured fabrics. If I am not mistaken, Solvy is made of gelatin. I would not use medium weight Solvy for machine applique. I think you would be happier using a more stable stabilizer!

I am sorely tempted to do the BOM this year. I have been a big fan of Janet Stone's quilts for a few years now.

Judy in Virginia

Comment

Here is a picture of the sample after it has been rinsed. There was no puckering before rinsing. My concern is what will the quilt look like when it is washed?

Diana

Comment

Diana, you might want to try making a sample of the applique, complete with QUILTING, then wash it to see how the applique looks. The quilting stitches may provide enough stabilization that you are OK with the finished look.

However, it does look like there is some issue with the tension of your machine stitches, so maybe you could also experiment with that?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Could it be that the king tut thread shrinks? Is it cotton? Don't think the poly magnifico will shrink?

Hope this is helpful. Janet

Comment

Solvy is like a thin layer of dried Elmer's glue. I use it with an embroidery machine for lace or to make patches or as a topper - but I have never used it for appliqué. Maybe I should try it and see if I get the same result. But it is very different than other stabilizers. I bet that is the issue. Try a light or medium weight tear away stabilizer or the Tims poly. I have had good results with both.

Comment

So is the problem that her bobbin tension is too tight? I'm always nervous about messing with the tension. I know that's very old school with the new, better machines . . . .

My block looks pretty good--no puckering--but now I'm a little worried. Does everyone wash individual blocks? Does everyone starch each block before appliquéing? This is the heaviest blanket stitch I've ever done--I do love the look--but now I'm not sure how it will behave going forward. I am using the kit thread but my own fabrics.

Comment

Originally posted by geredwards
                    So is the problem that her bobbin tension is too tight? I'm always nervous about messing with the tension. I know that's very old school with the new, better machines . . . .

My block looks pretty good--no puckering--but now I'm a little worried. Does everyone wash individual blocks? Does everyone starch each block before appliquéing? This is the heaviest blanket stitch I've ever done--I do love the look--but now I'm not sure how it will behave going forward. I am using the kit thread but my own fabrics.
                    I have never washed individual blocks. I do prewash, and starch all my fabrics fairly heavily before I piece or applique. I use Sta-Flo, a liquid starch, and mix it 50/50 with water. Any of the spray starches will work also, but I like the Sta-Flo, because it seems to flake less. I also use Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff as a stabilizer when appliqueing. I have never had any issues with puckering. If your blocks aren't puckered after you applique them, they should be fine.
                    Back to Quilting!

Comment

Originally posted by geredwards

I agree with all of Janet's comments and would like to add that if you are concerned about how it's working, it might be worth your time to make one small sample block using the products you are working with, QUILT IT, then wash it to see how it all behaves.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2034 users online. 182 members and 1852 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                      Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X