Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

BOM 2014 - A-Z for Ewe and Me

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use quilts year round here. With the AC going most of the year it is still cool enough.

I decided to do a practice block of the frayed edges before proceeding with this quilt. After soaking it with water and agitating it with a toothbrush, it still took lots of work with my finger nails to get it to fray and scissors to clean up the edges. The top ones were clipped before washing. I think I like them better. The edges of the appliqués will be really soft once they are frayed. I may put this project on hold for awhile as I really want to make the Spider Web quilt that Gyleen Fitzgerald has in progress. It looks like lots of easy strip-piecing and I have an idea to use my sew-on-the-line paper technique for sewing the units together without cutting them first. So many projects, so little time... The resizing to 125% is working well for me so far. I have the instructions changed for this month and will continue to do that each month so when I do decide to work on the quilt I will be ready. Also that thread shrinks when it gets wet. It took lots of ironing to stretch it back while it was still wet. I will probably use a stabilizer under the rest of the appliqués, especially since I'm using a glue stick instead of fusible to hold them in place.

Comment

Interesting! I love to hear how you all research to find out what works for you

living in Central Denmark
      Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Annis, when I was fraying out some faux chenille for a bag I ended up using a grout brush like this one http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21651/Lake...nd-Grout-Brush stiffer than a tooth brush and it worked well.

living in Central Denmark
        Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Thanks, Rosemary. I thought that toothbrush was pretty flimsy. I'm hoping the washer and dryer will do most of the work for me but will keep that in mind.

Comment

Another alternative could be a wire suede brush, that you can get for brushing up suede shoes.

Comment

I would love to see the photos of everyone's blocks so far, but can't see where they are posted - can someone tell me where they are? Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by chris10
                I would love to see the photos of everyone's blocks so far, but can't see where they are posted - can someone tell me where they are? Thank you!!
                Under the BOM menu, there is a BOM2014 tab, and then click on the "show And Tell" button. You will see "View Entries", click on this button.

Andrée

Comment

I've just finished putting the Duck and ducklings block together and I had a bit of trouble with the measurements coming up small. I managed to finish the block but found it a bit difficult, maybe I did something wrong.
                  I haven't yet decided on the sashing but have my blocks pinned to a brown colour at the moment....will try to post pictures
                  Anne

Comment

Sally Collins (Precision Piecing) talks about adjusting seam allowances a thread or two one way or the other to make blocks the correct size. I know we hate to unsew, but it does work to make the sizes come out right, unless there was a big error.

Comment

Forward back forward......forward back forward.......left right left right. FBF....FBF....LRLR I'm goggle eyed.
                      I'm finding I lose concentration and go into a stare while sewing the blanket stitch around the letters but it's looking good and I am enjoying the B O M it's so different from anything I have ever done before.
                      Can't wait for March blocks
                      Happy sewing
                      Anne

Comment

Duck and ducklings reinforces my deficiency with direction. I've unsewn at least 5 seams from sewing the wrong direction. (insert whining smiley here).

Anne, you sound like you are doing the double blanket stitch. I've compromised by doing the half-blanket which seems to go a bit faster. Audio books and frequent breaks make it easier! I've walked away from the blanket stitching several times, just leaving the needle down & not turning off the machine, then it's easy to restart.

Comment

I'm doing the half blanket stitch too and it does seem to go a little faster. I do however prefer the look of the double blanket stitch.
                          Best wishes from Pam in Scotland

Comment

I'm having a problem on the ducklings. I don't have a triangle ruler with 1/4" marks, but just watched Julie's video again.

On the 2nd square up side (bottom right of page 10) BEFORE I trim, the short sides of the completed unit are already just 3 inches. I have plenty to trim to make the quarter inch seam allowance off the right angle of the red, but I'll end up with shorter legs on the finished unit. Would over-sizing the sky blue triangles even another half inches help?

Help!

EDIT: ok, I watched and read further, thinking I'll be ok because the finished unit with the teal corners should be 2 and 1/2 " not 3.

Comment

Susan,

It you look closely at the picture, you can see that the short sides of the triangle are a tad shorter than 3 " (somewhere near 2-7/8"). I think the important part here is to have 1/4" so that the point of the "duckling" is not caught in the seam.

Can't wait to see it!

Andrée

Comment

Hi Susan,
                                I have a Janome 6600 it doesn't do the double blanket stich like the Bernina it makes 2 lots of stitches...forward back forward and then the same thing again and then the bite twice it looks pretty good just not quite the same as the Bernina. I'm using mode 2 stitch number 37.
                                I think you can see the stitches on the photo if you enlarge it to 150%.
                                Happy sewing
                                Anne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2116 users online. 218 members and 1898 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X