Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

BOM 2014 - A-Z for Ewe and Me

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't do it. I just can't do it! I'm moving mid year! But the half sized version is calling out to me. Oh dear....

Loved all the versions I've seen. It looks so fun. And I like the QAYG idea.

Margo, glad you are feeling better. You've had quite a rough go and deserve some sunshine and roses.... Here's a hug.
    Geneva

Comment

Originally posted by suehenyon
      OK Janet, you have me pondering circles in the border...I guess we're not supposed to ask ahead of the month, but in an attempt to give lots of shopping time...how are these made? Beading, buttons, raw-edged and turned circles...all of the above?
      Sue, the larger circles in the border are all raw edge appliqued just like the letters. The tiny circles are buttons. You can applique the circles any way you like, or use any buttons you like. The buttons I used are about 1/4" wide and I got them at Joanns, where they have the larger packages of craft buttons.
      Back to Quilting!

Comment

Annis, I hope you read this. I was looking at your Show and Tell, reading your description about frayed-edge applique with batiks. What stitch do you use around the edge (I recall triple stitch somewhere in the past), and then do you do something to the edge other than let them fray naturally with use?

Comment

I use a triple stitch 1/8" from the edge. I cut my appliques slightly larger to allow for the fraying. I will just wash it and see what happens. Sometimes you have to give the applique edges a "haircut" or do some clipping like on rag quilts. Since I'm using batiks I don't expect the edges will fray like homespun plaids. You might want to make a sample block with the fabrics you are using first.

Comment

As usual, trailing behind, but still excited to be a part of this wonderful quilt!

In looking at the photos, I realized that there is also a star on the F block, which I had missed somehow. So I looked more closely at the whole quilt and see that some, but not all, of the letters have a star. So is the star just a little bit of whimsy (which I really love) here and there? Or is there a secret code to placement?

Barb in Alabama
            temperatures dropping boo-hoo

Comment

Originally posted by Barblln
              As usual, trailing behind, but still excited to be a part of this wonderful quilt!

In looking at the photos, I realized that there is also a star on the F block, which I had missed somehow. So I looked more closely at the whole quilt and see that some, but not all, of the letters have a star. So is the star just a little bit of whimsy (which I really love) here and there? Or is there a secret code to placement?

Barb in Alabama
              temperatures dropping boo-hoo
              LOL! I love the idea of a "secret code", but the stars were just put in places where I thought they were needed! I may have to sock that secret code idea away for another quilt though!
              Back to Quilting!

Comment

Well, Janet, I grew up in the age of Flash Gordon and even had the secret decoder ring! I guess that whole secret code thing is still with me. :lol:

Barb in Alabama
                Waaay too cold here

Comment

I am always intrigued by a secret code concept on a quilt, and whatever Janet says, she'd be sure to deny it if there is one...... :lol: :lol: :lol: But Janet, if you DO decide to make a secret code quilt, we should talk. 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                  Betty Jo

Comment

Trying to download PDF for Little Scraps of learning. It does not respond. Anyone else having this problem?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                    Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Nanguilts
                      Trying to download PDF for Little Scraps of learning. It does not respond. Anyone else having this problem?
                      I had problems with the link from the newsletter but was able to access the project from the Projects page.

Comment

Thanks Lois. Didn't think to look there. Worked great. Nan in cold upstate (on Canadian border) NY

Comment

Possibly beating a dead horse, but I need advice on pre-washing batiks. I decided to pre-wash and organize my entire stash. :roll: :roll: It may take a while, but my back is screaming because I spent a day washing small batches in the bathtub in clear plastic bins. I need to change to the washing machine.

How do you know when enough is enough? I washed a batch of really dark batiks (purple/blue) with two Color Catchers TWICE, with double rinses. The first CC's were brilliant, the 2nd, not so much, but still had plenty of color. Am I safe?

I can't imagine trying to wash all the fabric individually to find the culprits. Help!

Comment

Susan, I don't usually prewash my fabrics, but I do pre TEST anything the might possibly bleed! I'll cut a piece about 4" square and put it in a white bowl (mine is Corelle) with HOT water. You can tell almost right away if the color is going to bleed because the water changes color and you can see it against the white bowl. It's a PITA to do, but not as painful as dealing with a bleeding fabric after the project is quilted!!

If the water stays clear, I don't worry.
                            If the water shows color, I wash that fabric and use Retayne until the water is clear.
                            If the water doesn't clear, I THROW THE FABRIC AWAY!! :shock:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                              If the water doesn't clear, I THROW THE FABRIC AWAY!! :shock:
                              :shock: That seems a bit extreme :shock:
                              How about collecting them all up together and only using them in a quilt by themselves? Or using them to help dye some other yardage :wink:

One thing I learnt from a dyeing friend, is that it is not so much the amount of rinses that makes a difference as the amount of time it spends in the water (preferably warm), so if you have a bleeder (in more ways than one :wink: ) leave it to soak for a day or two, with Retayne if you have it, then rinse & check. I had this problem with my Sottts backing fabric and it ended up with numerous soakings with Synthapol (cos that is what I had) over several days - not good with a deadline, but it worked.

Comment

Good advice, Rosemary! Throwing away the fabric is obviously a last resort after trying several things to set the dye!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2281 users online. 238 members and 2043 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,174   Members: 25587   Active Members: 1,297  
                                Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                                X