Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Looking after your sewing machine

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking after your sewing machine

I don't know if this is the correct place to put this post but here goes.
    I found this web site and thought you might like to have a look at how NOT to treat your sewing machine.

http://www.sandissewingconnection.com

I hope the link comes through OK
    I have a friend who has an expensive Brother machine and has never had it serviced and never takes the throat plate off she says "It works OK "
    Words fail me
    Anne

I can't imagine spending that much on a machine and not taking better care of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ritzy
      I can't imagine spending that much on a machine and not taking better care of it.
      I agree, Ritzy. I don't have money to toss around, so I tend to take care of my stuff.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
      Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Here's a link directly to the article about maintenance: http://www.sandissewingconnection.co...-servicing.htm

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

few days ago i was by the sewing machine shop, i have asked how often i need to bring the machine to service, i thought once a year, but according to him every 3-4 years, for bernina. i wonder if that is enough?

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks for the link Anne, and Margo. It is incredible how little people know about keeping their sewing machine clean here. A friend brought her machine over for me to have a look at because it wouldn't work properly. When I opened the bobbin case it was packed with lint. They had never cleaned it out in all the years they have had it (probably 20)! I always keep a pipe cleaner handy to clean out the bobbin case and surrounding area, including the feed-dogs. My mechanic says that the machine should be serviced every year. Becky, maybe you don't use your machine enough to have it serviced more than every 3 years?

Comment

that is the point, that i quilt a lot (much less then before) but still a lot for the average.
              i clean evry day the lint with hoover, and give one drop of oil once a week.
              we will see. i feel that if i patchwork it is less difficult for the machine then free hand quilting.

Comment

How often your machine goes in for a spa treatment depends on how much stitching and what type of stitching.
                Remember we use batting and lint will build up in places we can't get to it. Lint build up over time can damage the gears. Kind of like water dripping on a rock.
                If you do a lot of stitching (piecing and quilting) then once a year for good health.
                If you don't do a lot of stitching (in frequent fashion sewing) then once every 3 or 4 years is fine.
                Note: we all remark how happy we are when we change our rotary cutter blade because it's easier to cut fabric...our machines don't have to work so hard when we take care of them which means we don't have to work so hard.

Working in a dealership I get to see why its important to maintain our tools (sewing machine). My boss was working on a machine that had not been in for 20 years. The grease, belt wear out, cracked gears and so on meant a lot of work on his part! She'll get her machine back in good working order however a lot of this could have been avoided with regular maintenance.
                Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

Oh my gosh those pictures just have me dying to get my brush and pipe cleaner to work on them! It's so rewarding to get all that stuff out of the machine. Those owners are cheating themselves out of feeling so virtuous!
                  Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Goodness gracious. How can you not service your machine at least once a year. Margo, thanks for the link. I do service my machines once a year and they do last me longer and perform great. I, too, have broken needles while sewing and for the most part have found the pieces, sometimes not. I will definitely be looking a lot closer to find any pieces I missed. ops: ops:

Comment

I keep an old paintbrush (artist's type, not the kind to paint your doors) beside my machine, and clean out the bobbin area and surrounding areas almost each time I change the bobbin. Service? Once a year.

Comment

ops: ops: ops:
                        1/2" paint brush, tweezers, & thought about using a hoover - don't actually know where my nearest service engineer is.

Comment

If you are going to use the hoover put a pop-sock over the nozzle and tape it with some masking tape. That way if anything that shouldn't come out does it will be on the sock and not in your hoover bag. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                            If you are going to use the hoover put a pop-sock over the nozzle and tape it with some masking tape. That way if anything that shouldn't come out does it will be on the sock and not in your hoover bag. 8)
                            What a good idea! I never would have thought of that myself.

Nancy

Comment

I had been thinking of using one of those dinky little hoovers they have for computers....

I went for an interview at a sewing factory once, and the policy for broken needles was they had a sheet of paper with a life sized needle printed on it, and until you could prove that all of the pieces of needle were accounted for you couldn't continue sewing.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2735 users online. 443 members and 2292 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,225   Members: 25682   Active Members: 1,333  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X