Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Finished my first quilt!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished my first quilt!

I just posted it up to the quilt gallery, here's a link to it --

see-quilts/quilt-gallery/

I bought the pattern about 18 months ago, Mosaic Star by Debbie (forgot her last name and can't find the cover sheet now...) from Painted Pony 'n Quilts (http://www.ppnq.com). The original pattern is for a 4 color-way brights on a black background; Debbie helped me adapt it to red/white/blue. I worked on it for a while, set it aside, worked on some other stuff, decided to finish it and done it now is!

The piecing is all by hand, and my new stepmom Kim did the majority of the quilting on her long arm style machine (domestic machine mounted on a movable arm thing over a frame); I did about 2/3rds of one row before deciding it was a bit over my head for now, jumping from never using a machine in my life right to driving a long-arm following a pantograph....too much for me! Many thanks to Kim for quilting it for me.

I'm thrilled with the results and happy to show it off here :-) Many more projects in the works/waiting to be started....this was a fantastic confidence booster! And I have a machine now (an old Bernina 1020 but works great) that I'm learning to use.

Just had to share...
    -Heather

WOO-HOO

Thoroughly delighted to hear about your achievements! just off to admire your quilt....zoom...

Comment

Oh drat! The mouse beat me to it! :P Congratulations on completing your first quilt - it's a great feeling isn't it. Going to have a look now. Rita.....Just had a look Heather and it's really great. Well done. Now on to the next one!

Comment

Congrats Heather, The greatest two words in your post are "for now". They mean you plan to move forward and improve your skills. You will enjoy this quilting community with all it's knowledge and willingness to help. Keep that first quilt around to look back on in a few years. You will see growth with each quilt you make. I still do after over twenty years. Betty Ann in warm and sunny Florida

Comment

Good for you! It looks wonderful!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
          That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Heather -

What a wonderful quilt! Congratulations!! It always feels so great to finish something!

Nancy

Comment

Wonderful, Heather!! Completion is a wonderful feeling, and your quilt is lovely!! I'm looking forward to seeing lots more quilts from you! Thank you for sharing! Robin

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Rita, thank you for the kind words! "on to the next one" is a bit of a laugh for myself and my mentor, as I have more projects in my head than I know what to do with! My list of "to be done" is quite long and far ahead of my current skill level, but I'm happily sewing away, nevermind what might be too hard for a beginner. In this case, I've found so far that ignorance really is bliss. If I don't know ahead of time it's meant to be hard, I'm not daunted by it at all. So my next....finish up the diary quilt I'm working on (had asked for help on that one early on) and then/at the same time, most likely one I've designed myself. Crazy to think I'm moving so fast from a simple log cabin to charting my own mosaic, but there it is. Will certainly post along the way!

Margo, thanks!

Betty Ann, thank you! See above, I definitely plan to move forward and keep improving. I wrote on my blog today how thrilled I was that my top/middle/bottom measurements when I was measuring for my border had less than a half-inch variance between them, each time I added a border. And then wrote that maybe one day I'll be at a place where an eight-inch variance bothers me, but not yet! So, yes, I'm sure I'll keep seeing growth and improvement. Also I just got a machine from my dad for christmas, so that's next up -- learn to use a machine and watch the projects just whiz by! Or so I hope. My project list is quite long, I just hope my skills improve quick enough for me to get to some of them.

thanks again, all, for the encouragement! I'm almost totally self taught with one great mentor who I email for help as needed, and this forum, so your encouragement means a lot! Thank you so very much!

Comment

Congratulations!! You already know that sewing and quilting is a wonderful addiction!! I can't wait to see the next quilt that you design!

I also want to tell you that your first quilt is WAY BETTER than my first quilt! You Go Girl!!

Comment

Originally posted by Reetzbobeetz
                    Oh drat! The mouse beat me to it! :P Congratulations on completing your first quilt - it's a great feeling isn't it. Going to have a look now. Rita.....Just had a look Heather and it's really great. Well done. Now on to the next one!
                    Oi! this is no mouse... This is a hamster - look no tail!

PS Heather I love the quilt, & all hand pieced - applause, applause!

Comment

Heather, your quilt looks great. Give yourself a big pat on the back for all your hard work. I believe you will do greater things in the future. Hope to see one of quilts hanging in a show someday. Remember to enjoy your work is the greatest thing, so have lots of fun.

Rosemary, thanks for the clarification! I wasn't sure either. :lol:

Comment

It looks great! I love the red white and blue. You did a wonderful job!
                        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Wonderful job! And, what I am impressed with the most is that it is all hand pieced! Many of us have NEVER hand pieced a quilt! My hat's off to you! You are making great strides, and it sounds like you are not afarid to try anything! That is how we all learn! My SIL once said "I learned one thing in my hand applique class." When I asked what, she said, "I learned I don't like hand applique!" Try it all, and you will find out what pleases you most, and what you may never care to tackle again!

Dawn
                          In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Heather, your first quilt turned out absolutely beautiful - and all hand-sewn too - i bet i'm not the only one wishing that our first, second or third attempt had been this fabulous. well done - CONGRATULATIONS - you can certainly pat yourself on the back for that accomplishment!!!

you might want to change the link in your post to this one instead:

the one you have in there is your own - editing link - i don't think it would let any of us edit - but it will also not let us click on the picture to make it larger and get a closer view
                            (i think you can still go back to your post and edit it - sometimes i can on mine and sometimes i can't - havn't figured out yet why - although editing old "member blog" posts always work for me)
                            Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

Originally posted by lotti
                              Heather, your first quilt turned out absolutely beautiful - and all hand-sewn too - i bet i'm not the only one wishing that our first, second or third attempt had been this fabulous. well done - CONGRATULATIONS - you can certainly pat yourself on the back for that accomplishment!!!

you might want to change the link in your post to this one instead:

the one you have in there is your own - editing link - i don't think it would let any of us edit - but it will also not let us click on the picture to make it larger and get a closer view
                              (i think you can still go back to your post and edit it - sometimes i can on mine and sometimes i can't - havn't figured out yet why - although editing old "member blog" posts always work for me)
                              thank you, Lotti, for the link correction! I've fixed it. and thank you so much for the kind words!!

I have to point out that I only hand pieced as I didn't have a machine, and also that I did work on it a very long time. I'm certain any of you could do it with that amount of time but thank you so much for making me feel so good about my first quilt! As it was all straight seams (log cabin blocks) it was not too hard.

anyway, thank you very much for the kind words! I mostly just love seeing my family use it to snuggle under, but of course the pats on the back are nice too
                              Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2900 users online. 561 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X