Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

A New Can of Worms

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Can of Worms

I truly don't want to start any trouble but I'd love to see a BOM from either Alex or Ricky. They're the reason I joined TQS way back when. Obviously not 2012 but I'd like to ask both Alex and Ricky to think about combining their efforts for 2013. Please think about it. 8)

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I expect that part of the problem with that is the incredible amount of time it takes to design a BOM and write all the instructions.
    Both Alex and Ricky have pretty full schedules, like right now they are getting ready for the Super Seminar in Asheville, NC this week-end.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I know, Margo. I can dream, though, can't I? :wink:

Comment

I would like to see other BOM from other designers ... as much as I like Sue Garman's work I like other designer's too.

Maybe some contemporary / modern quilts would be nice to see.
        A beginners project....
        A series of fusible art blocks

Things we can learn and grow from....

Comment

Well, I have to say that I have learned a lot from Sue's work and my skills have grown quite a bit also. I believe there will be a different designer for 2012--I am sure Margo will chime in here soon.

Comment

Personally, I think you can get "contemporary / modern quilts....A beginners project.... A series of fusible art blocks" inspiration from lots of the TQS episodes with different teachers.

If you are looking for something to help you "learn and grow from", I don't think you can beat the instructions that Sue Garman has given us for the last 4 years! I think that everyone who had done any of Sue's BOMs has learned a lot! I know that thanks to Sue, I've stretched and learned new skills that will make my quilting better from now on!

There is a new designer for the 2012 BOM, and I assume that there will be something on the web site about the project some time in November. ARJJ usually presents the new BOM at the Houston show and shortly thereafter it's on the Daily Blog.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sarah Vedeler is designing for us! http://sarahvedelerdesigns.com/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I agree with Ritzy and Margo. Having made the 2008 BOM and working on this years BOM have given me more tools in my toolbox. Thanks to Sue who worked hard to give us the experience.

living in Central Denmark
              Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

The reason I am doing this years block of the month is because over the last few years the comments posted on the forum have shown how much everyone has learnt making them. This year I am learning a different and new technique almost every month. THis is a major learning curve for me. Thank you so much Sue Garman and TQS.

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

I agree with everybody about learning so much from Sue Garman. I too have learned so much in the past 6 months from working on the BOM. It has been an invaluable experience. And having the classroom tutorials with Sue for a previous BOM was also of great benefit. I am sorry that she is not doing next year's BOM but I am sure the effort it must take to create and write something like this so that dolts like me can understand it must be very time consuming. From looking over past BOMs she has helped so many people produce some really spectacular (and award winning) quilts. What a wonderful thing she has done!

I look forward to seeing next years BOM - not saying that I will do it as I would imagine that without a Bernina it will probably be next to impossible - but I am fascinated to see what it will be.

Rita.

Comment

I agree with Eileen that it would be nice to have a BOM by Ricky or Alex.
                    I also agree with Margo that it takes a humungeous amout of time to put together such detailed instructions, and that Alex & Ricky probably don't have the time currently to take on such an undertaking.
                    Sue Garmen's designs & instructions are great - I joined TQS because I was so taken with the 2009 Stars for a New Day, (which I plan to get back to sometime, when my hst's will let me ). Not forgetting Margo's additional tutorials and help a-longs.
                    However, it will be interesting to see another designer's approach to what they can do for our 'little' gang. Besides there are lots and lots of other different styles of BOM's all over the web, if you fancy something different.

Comment

I'm just like you, Rosemary. I joined because of the 2011 BOM, and also because of the shows on Ricky's Rhaposody quilt which I plan to make someday. Sue's instructions are incredible and she will be missed next year! But I have no doubt that next year's BOM will be exciting and the instructions will be of the high quality that we've come to expect from TQS. We are very lucky!!

Comment

And if Ricky and Justin have more free time, I'd love for them to come and paint my house. 8) 8)

Comment

Well, I have kept all the instructions for every BOM and fully intend to 'play' after I retire in 2014. So, roll on 2012 BOM. It'll get added to the file.

Personally, I think it's great that the BOMs have been really 'big and meaty' designs. It makes them special.

The only way you would get me to drop everything and concentrate on a BOM before 2014 would be if the theme would be nautical, with lighthouses thrown in, and a handful of Mariner's Compasses for good measure.
                          From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Sounds like you should design one , In 2014 maybe?

living in Central Denmark
                            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

I used to write instructions in my job, and it is difficult. And my audience was right there to tell me I wrote them wrong! The trick with BOM's is your audience ranges from brand new to experienced...and you can't assume anything.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2698 users online. 390 members and 2308 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                              Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X