Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Who knew? Men and Women and listening..................

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knew? Men and Women and listening..................

I found this fascinating. Explains alot about alot about alot! ha

Why Men Don't Listen to Women

He really isn't listening to you! But you won't believe the reason why.

When men and women speak, the human brain processes the sounds of those voices differently, Britain's Mirror and Agence France Presse report of a new study from the U.K.'s University of Sheffield. While most of us actually hear female voices more clearly, men's brains hear women's voices first as music. But it's not music. It's someone giving them a honey-do list. So the brain goes into overdrive trying to analyze what is being said.

Bottom line: Men have to work harder deciphering what women are saying because they use the auditory part of the brain that processes music, not human voices. Men's brains are not designed to listen to women's voices. It's not the pitch of the woman's voice, but rather the vibration and number of sound waves that cause the problem, notes Discovery News.

But guys have no trouble at all hearing each other because men use a much simpler brain mechanism at the back of the brain to decipher another man's voice and recognize it as speech.

"The female voice is actually more complex than the male voice, due to differences in the size and shape of the vocal cords and larynx between men and women, and also due to women having greater natural 'melody' in their voices. This causes a more complex range of sound frequencies than in a male voice," lead researcher Michael Hunter told The Mirror. "When men hear a male voice they process it in the 'mind's eye.' This is the part of the brain where people compare their experiences to themselves, so the man is comparing his own voice to the new voice."

Here's a really bizarre side effect: These findings help explain why people who suffer hallucinations usually hear male voices. It's just too hard for the brain to create a false feminine voice as accurately as it can create a false masculine voice.

The research findings were published in the journal NeuroImage

http://harvard.medvane.org/journals/20498/five

So there! They really, really, REALLY are trying! It's harder than we thought!

Lynn - This is very interesting information. Basically what you're saying is that we should give them a gentle rap on the head (tee hee) to get their attention and then start speaking. This would save we women from having to repeat everything. Seriously though, thanks for sharing this with us. Carolyn - Kerrville, TX

Comment

On top of all that, my husband is very hard of hearing, so you can imagine how many times I have to repeat something. It's gotten to be quite funny, because when I say something to him he automatically says "huh?" Usually if I give him time to process what I just said he will answer. He wears a hearing aid in one ear, but sometimes he doesn't have it on or turned up high enough. We have interesting conversations to say the least. Mary

Comment

When I want my DH to listen (and hear) me, I first ask him to come out of his "nothing box". Then he knows he is expected to answer. Maybe, what we need to do is sing to them instead :wink:

Comment

Hmmm. I'd like to hear some cross-cultural evidence. Are women's voices more "musical" than men's in non-western societies?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

That's interesting, Lynn, but I really think they're just thinking about sports or sex! :lol: Judy in Torrance

Comment

Originally posted by gran5
              On top of all that, my husband is very hard of hearing, so you can imagine how many times I have to repeat something. It's gotten to be quite funny, because when I say something to him he automatically says "huh?" Usually if I give him time to process what I just said he will answer. He wears a hearing aid in one ear, but sometimes he doesn't have it on or turned up high enough. We have interesting conversations to say the least. Mary
              My hubby does the same thing! Is really comical (NOT!) He sometimes will say HUH? before I am even done with my sentence!

Maggie in E. Central Illinois

Comment

Ritzy's comment about men's nothing box reminded me of one of the funniest videos I have ever watched. It is Mark Gungor speaking about men's brains and women's brains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuMZ73mT5zM If the link doesn't work, just google Mark Gungor or nothing box.

Comment

Sounds like our DH's were just granted another excuse for not listening. :roll:

Comment

I've heard a similar story. If you want someone to hear and understand what you are saying talk in their right ear. It goes to the left side of the brain which is the cognitive portion. If you talk into the left ear it goes to the right side of the brain which the artsy/crafty side of the brain. Luckily I sit on the right side of my DH so every conversation goes into the correct ear. :lol:

Comment

men only listen to thier mothers or an other man so you need to have one of them tell your hubby what you need to say Happy

Comment

So that's why I have to text my DH when I have something important to say? I'm always on his left side....hmmm.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2899 users online. 560 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X