Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

What do good pattern instructions consist of

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do good pattern instructions consist of

I recently bought a pattern to make a quilt with a friend of another friend who is ill. We cut out the fabric together, organized the pieces according to the direction. I sewed my blocks at home using a xerox of the diagram in the pattern. My GF had the whole pattern and she made some blocks going by the written directions.... GUESS WHAT the written directions did not coincide with the diagram ... I am pretty sure there was a typo that got overlooked.

MY GF made one type of block and I ended up making another. We used all the same fabric but our quilt will not look like it is suppose to when it is done. We cobbled together a quilt but it has a scrappy look instead of the lovely organized diagonal setting we originally envisioned. NEEDLESS to say we were both disappointed. ( NO we are not going to take it apart and reassemble it... we do not have the time as we want to give it to our friend before her surgery. )

What do you consider good pattern directions, when you select patterns?

I feel a good pattern will include accuracy.

I also would like detailed pressing instruction as to which way the seams should be pressed to get a good lock and accurate seam intersections.

Is there anything else you would like to see in pattern instructions?

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

I am currently reading "Publish your Patterns! How to Write, Print, and Market Your Designs" by Nancy Restuccia (McKenna Linn). A good pattern shouldn't have glaring typos. The author should have made many (10 or more) of the pattern. He/she should have asked for testers of varying skill levels to try the pattern to make sure that it is understandable. And they should hire a professional editor. Obviously, this is just a tiny bit of the information that is in the book.
    Maggie in E. central Illinois

Comment

Sounds like your printer may have distorted the shapes perhaps. Get in touch with the designer.

Comment

Since I've started testing patterns I've found that it's a great idea to read through the pattern and check the layout before I start cutting. Sometimes after the pattern is published the maker or a customer will find an error and correct it in the next round of printing or will have corrections on their site. I realize that with dial up checking for corrections can be time intensive however it can prove helpful. It may be very, very helpful to the pattern maker for you to either call them or email them and explain what happened.

Teri
        Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

How do you get to be a pattern tester? I don't have patterns I want to publish but would like to get in on the testing side of the publication action.

Comment

I got this gig through a friend of a friend - that's the short story.
            There's a group on Yahoo...you can also approach the fabric companies and see if they need a pattern tester.

Teri
            Teri

Comment

Thanks, Teri. I'll check with some of the fabric manufacturers. A Google search on "quilt pattern tester" didn't give me much.

Comment

go directly to yahoo and sign up for the group
                Teri

Comment

To answer your question:

Accurate instructions that have been tested on fairly inexperienced quilters.

Large print so that I can read the instructions without magnifier.

Printed on decent quality paper that does not fall to pieces after a few hours use.

Full-size patterns for any appliqué.

Lorchen
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

I agree-they should be tested, by the designer and by quilters.

Quality control is so important; a lot of professions don't go the extra mile any more-they figure "buyer beware" covers them. How incredibly arrogant! :evil: I've started opening pattern packets(if they're not sealed) and checking to make sure the instructions et al are right.
                    eileenkny

Comment

I would like to know on the page with the fabric requirements if the maker has padded the amounts of if they have "just enough". I recently bought a pattern, that takes 5/8 yd of 5 different fabrics, and the listing for the setting triangles called for 1 5/8 yd. Well when I cut the fabric, I was able to get it all out of just 1 1/8 yd. I don't know if it was a typo, if they had 5/8 on their mind from the other fabrics, or if I just cut out my squares in a way to save as much fabric as possible (Which I always try to do).

But I would rather be the one making the decision as to how much, if any, extra I want to purchase or not for something, not have it written into the instructions. I don't like patterns that have you buying so much extra fabric that you could make two quilts out of it.

Diane in Colorado Springs

Comment

Originally posted by LadyRags
                        I recently bought a pattern to make a quilt with a friend of another friend who is ill. We cut out the fabric together, organized the pieces according to the direction. I sewed my blocks at home using a xerox of the diagram in the pattern. My GF had the whole pattern and she made some blocks going by the written directions.... GUESS WHAT the written directions did not coincide with the diagram ... I am pretty sure there was a typo that got overlooked.

MY GF made one type of block and I ended up making another. We used all the same fabric but our quilt will not look like it is suppose to when it is done. We cobbled together a quilt but it has a scrappy look instead of the lovely organized diagonal setting we originally envisioned. NEEDLESS to say we were both disappointed. ( NO we are not going to take it apart and reassemble it... we do not have the time as we want to give it to our friend before her surgery. )

What do you consider good pattern directions, when you select patterns?

I feel a good pattern will include accuracy.

I also would like detailed pressing instruction as to which way the seams should be pressed to get a good lock and accurate seam intersections.

I would like a picture of the pattern broken down to a grid format.

Is there anything else you would like to see in pattern instructions?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2895 users online. 558 members and 2337 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X