Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

batting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

batting

I am not sure if any one can help me out there. I want to put real wool ( which has been formed into 63"by96" ) in my next quilt. The instructions for cleaning the quilt after the batting is put in is just to soak, wring and hang to dry. However; most quilts are lay flat to dry. What is your answer? Your answers will make me decide whether or not to use the pure wool batting from the wool mill or just the commercial batting. :?: :?:

I don't know anything about "pure wool batting" but I would think, just like any other batting, that you have to have sufficient quilting for the batting to wear well. I also think that by hanging it to dry, the weight of the wet quilt would be heavy and would pull on the stitching. I don't think I would want that kind of stress on my seams or quilting. My suggestion would be to lay it flat but I know that soon others will give you more info and suggestions.

Comment

Isabel,
      I've used Hobbs Heirloom Wool & put the quilt in the dryer on very low or fluff, and had no problems. Could you explain a little more about "pure wool batting from the woolen mill"? Is this in the USA?

I wouldn't "wring" any quilt, but maybe put it on spin in the washing machine. My suggestions are of course, for utility quilts.

You can always make up a sample and test your planned washing procedure.

Comment

I understand there is a wool mill in Montana as well and they sell the raw wool batting but their sizes are around 56" by 84" ( I think). The batting is used in duvets mainly but according to this wool mill the make quilts and but the pure untreated wool batting in their quilts however their quilts have 1" batting ( about 5 pounds per quilt). Hobbs Heirloom is treated with a special product or add ( I am not sure) to prevent shrinkage . I have enclosed the original email from the wool shop
        All of our batts are approximately 96" by 62" and weigh between 1 and 2 lbs
        each. They are about a 1/4" thick, however, this varies. In all of our king
        size quilts we put 5lbs of wool - this makes them between 1 and 2 inches
        thick - for yours you might want 3lbs or so to get the 1/2" thickness. The
        batts cost $18.00/lb plus gst.

All of our batts are made from 100% untreated pure new wool - this means
        that they will shrink if agitated at all. If you just soak, spin, and hang
        your item to dry, they will not shrink.

Regards,
        Maddy @ Custom Woolen Mills
        Hope this clears this up for you. Thanks for you answer.

Comment

I have a feeling that Custom Woolen Mills is not going to produce a batt that you will be happy with for quilting. This is a mill that processes and dyes raw wool for spinners, weavers, felters and knitters. Their Facebook page is fascinating. I'm wondering if they attend the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival, a yearly happening that attract thousands, and 75 breeds of sheep! There is lots of fiber art going on there, but not quilting.

A one or two inch thick quilt is going to be a monster to quilt by hand or by domestic machine. If a mill is producing a quilt with 5 pounds of batting, I suspect they are using commercial machines to do the quilting.

I'm curious, why are you considering this route instead of using a mass produced product? How are you going to quilt it? What is the end use of the quilt? With the last two questions answered, many people will offer up opinions on their favorite batting.

You've asked a really intriguing question. If you decide to use the raw wool batt, please share your experience with it!

Comment

My son wants a thick quilt but light in weight. I was only going to make it a 1/2 inch thick . I also would like to try it, but maybe I should make a small sampler quilt and see how it works first. I had met a quilter in Helena Montana that was using the pure wool in her quilts and she was promoting using it. She however had quilted hers. She told me she washed it ( without and agitator ) and lay flat to dry. I find the commercial too thin so if anyone knows where I can get 1/2 inch wool batting I will buy it instead.

Comment

If you want a thicker commercial wool, you can use 2 layers instead of 1.

Nancy

Comment

A few years ago ( :shock: 15+ :!: ) a "crafty" lady brought me a small batt she had made of her own grown and prepared wool.
                She did not quilt and wanted my input. At that time I knew nothing of using "raw" wool, or any wool, for that matter,
                so I made some samples....the wool was cross-layered and about 1/2 in. thick....there were plusses...lofty, easy stitching
                and surely warm and comfy. However, the minuses were biggies ! All the regulars....shrinking, felting....no matter
                how closely sewn...and in big letters...bearding ! No way to control it ! But if you like the look...rumpled, flat, stiff
                and furry...Well, might be a choice. In the past, it was necessity....today, we have a better product . She decided not
                to market her wool for that purpose and stuck with spinning it. It was lovely to spin and weave. I have a little left to knit up.
                This was my experience...good luck !

Comment

Thank you for your in put. I just got an email today from Sugar Loaf Wool in Hall , Montana. They sell the same types of batts for quilting as our wool mill in Canada
                  This is want she emailed me
                  hanks for your interest in our batting. Quilting every four inches will hold the wool in place . Four inches also gives a nice loft to the quilt. Quilts can be hung to dry. Product care for wool products are below. It’s a good idea to put a tag on the quilts giving the washing instructions for wool .
                  Product care: Fill top loading washer with warm water, dissolve soap, submerge the comforter under the water soak 15 minutes(Turn Off the Machine to avoid accidental Agitation). Turn to spin cycle, spin out water. Refill with warm water to rinse,let soak 15 minutes, turn to spin cycle and spin. To spin extra moisture out run spin cycle again. Line dry. Do not use bleach or fabric softner. Line dry. Wipe off top of door. Hang over a door inside to dry. On the back comforters have a tag appliqued on the bottom. If you forget and soak longer it will be OK.
                  Front Load Washing Machines: Insert comforter which will be a full load for Queen size, tuck the corners to the back of machine. Use hand wash warm and warm cycle. If there is no warm and warm cycle, use the cold cycle. Do not use bleach or fabric softner. Line Dry.
                  Sugar Loaf Wool 211 Lower Willow Creek Road Hall , MT59837. So I will make a choice and let you know if I go with the raw wool batting and see how it turns out. I always wash my quilts before they go out. Thanks again Ellen

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2812 users online. 535 members and 2277 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                  Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X