Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Cotton batting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton batting

I've been wanting to get batting that give a quilt that old fashioned look...I guess you'd call that lumpy. All the bats that I find on the market are highly processed and flat. I've been thinking about trying wool, but I'd really want a cotton bat. I guess not too many people want batting that doesn't stay perfectly flat, but I'm trying to get a not so perfect look. Is there such a bat on the market that I'm not finding?

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Do you want lumpy batting or do you want the puckered look that you get with old quilts? It seems like I hear most people wanting that puckered look so that's why I ask. For the puckered look, you use the flat cotton batting and don't prewash it. Then, when it shrinks, it causes the fabric of the top to pucker a bit. I've heard people say that not pre-washing the fabrics helps, but it seems to me that pre-washing the fabrics will give you more puckering because the fabric is shrunk but the batting isn't so you get a greater change in size between the batting and the fabric.

For lumpy batting, I don't know what to tell you. I haven't run across anything like that myself.

Nancy

Comment

For a nice 'plumped up' finish I would recommend wool, which I used on my latest quilt Caught Red Handed - the first one you come to on this page http://forum/friendship-triangle-exc...inese-whispers

Comment

Have you tried Hobbs heirloom premium cotton batting (80%cotton and 20% poly)? I have found it easy to use and it doesn't seem to "beard" like some of the pressed cotton battings. When I first tried it, it reminded me of the old-fashioned battings - it is a thin batting and has a bit of a rough texture. It won't make the quilt really lumpy unless you wash the quilt.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I guess I won't really know if it's the kind of bat I'm looking for until I actually use it. I'm just finishing up a quilt so I'll try a out a bat I haven't used before in it.

Comment

Penny, why don't you treat yourself yo a set of tablemats. You could use different batting in each of them. You could then see how they 'behave' when washed, before embarking on a big project. I'm sure the guys here would send you a small piece of batting so you don't have to buy a large amount. I could send you a piece of Hobbs 80/20 to try if you haven't got that.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

yo = to

Too tired to check for typing errors. I'm off to bed now. It's 01.19 here.
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Penny I don't think any of the cotton battings or blended battings will give you the puffed-up look you seem to be looking for. The wool batting will. I am just wondering why you don't want to use wool, is it because of allergies? I have used it and it is beautiful to use and if you are quilting by hand it is like slicing through butter. The only other alternative I can think of that gives the puffed up look is polyester batting. It comes in different weights depending on how thick you would want it to be. Hope that helps.

Comment

I am trying to recreate the look of an old quilt, and the new bats don't give you that look. As far as I can figure out, the old style bats don't exist as who in their right mind would want to work with one? So I may have to give up on that idea and make the quilt I have in mind with newer bat.

As for the quilt I'm working on now, it is a purchased kit that I fell in love with. Unfortunately, after I bought it I discovered that the fabric is not a very good quality. I don't want to put an expensive wool bat into such a poor quality item.

Comment

It sounds as if you could be after the 'soft and puckery' look that Margo favours....

Hey Margo what would you suggest?

Comment

Penny...took me a bit , but I located this in the back of the closet. I have had this for a long time... :roll:
                      used it to show new quilters what NOT to buy....New, all cotton and in the picture you can read the label.
                      It clearly says" quilt 1/4 to 1/2 inch intervals" . I don't think they produce this any more...but you might
                      contact Mountain Mist. Anyway ...wouldn't take much to send it to you. If your interested send me a PM.

Comment

The Mountain Mist 100% cotton batt that Marilyn showed is just like the original cotton batts that Sterns and Foster started selling in 1846, according to their catalog.
                        Yes....it needs to be quilted about 1/4" intervals, or it will wad up like a wet Kleenex (tissue) when it gets wet! Personally, I only want to quilt that closely because I want to...not because I HAVE to in order to hold the quilt together!
                        Mountain Mist offers other batts that do not need to be quilted as closely. READ THE LABELS!

Yes, Rosemary, I do like the flat, puckery look of old quilts. I get that effect by using fabrics that have NOT been prewashed, however I do pre-TEST any fabric that I have a feeling might bleed. My "go-to" batting is Hobb's Heirloom Cotton which is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. Unless this batting is preshrunk (which is do-able!) it will shrink about 5% when washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer! This is NOT recommended for wall quilts where you want to maintain a crisp "new" look. I use this for quilts that are intended to be used up and loved to death. Because the fabrics and the batting have not been prewashed or pre-shrunk, when they come out of the dryer they now have the old puckery look, and will begin to have the softness of an old quilt.

The more they are used, the softer they will get.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....You bet ! Wet Kleenex !! :mrgreen: That's why I had this to show !! Nobody wants to make that mistake
                          these days !! It's place is most likely in repair and restoration of antiques. I'm in the Hobbs camp,too
                          and Quilters' Dream , also, ..for all the same reasons detailed by Margo. You really can manipulate the look by
                          washing batt and top and back....one or the other or both or none !! Thanks, Margo ...for looking it up in MMs'
                          product list.

Comment

If you want to know how a batting will look after it's quilted and washed...MAKE A SAMPLE!!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                            That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

:!: Big Yes !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2893 users online. 554 members and 2339 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Laurie DeBarge-lquiltwoman.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X