Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

How do you make quilt stencils?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you make quilt stencils?

I want to make a plastic stencil to use with a pounce pad or marking pencil or pen. How do you cut through the plastic? I read about double blade cutting tools and about using a wood burning tool to melt through the plastic. Have you had experience with either? What brand cutting tool or wood burner have you used? What do you recommend. Thanks.

Lois, I had good luck with the heavy vellum (not the stuff of paper-piecing, but more like the inserts to wedding invitations), tracing the pattern with a fine Sharpie, stitching with a 90 needle, then pouncing on the rough side. This held up very well.

Comment

I have tried both the wood-burning tool and Exacto knives, and didn't like the results either time, and find the I do better just using my sewing machine!

I don't use the really hard template plastic for this, but I mark the stencil with a sharpie, then unthread my sewing machine and using the largest needle I have, just stitch along the lines! You can do it with the feed dogs up, or drop the feed dogs and do it with free motion. Use a long stitch length so you don't just perforate the template plastic. You can also use Golden Threads paper the same way.

This video might give you some ideas: http://www.goldenthreads.com/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Just thinking...could you use the needle-punch technique with lightweight template plastic? I'm thinking it would give you a more durable product (as long as sewing thru plastic wouldn't damage your sewing machine. :shock: ). It seems to me that I have seen people post negative comments about both the wood-burning and double-bladed tools for making stencils, but I can't remember if saw it in the Forum or elsewhere. :?

from the Piedmont of North Carolina

Comment

Same methods here,too. I don't do it any more than I have to, tho..... :roll:

Comment

Thanks everybody. Looks like I have all the tools right in my sewing room to give this a try. I will go with the treadless needle and vellum first because I have those things. I knew that 100 needle was sitting in my sewing drawer for some good reason. Not home right now but I hope to have time to try this tomorrow. I am getting ready to quilt my GMFG (hexies) quilt. I am afraid my poor Mug Rug friends are getting all my trial designs as Mug Rugs. They aren't quite wall worthy but would look much better with a few cookie crumbs on them, not to mention coffee stains. They are meant for use. I thought I had my final design yesterday and sent some out with that design. After I slept on it wouldn't you know the design changed. Now I have a better idea how to mark the design. The video tutorial on Golden Threads was great. Thank you everyone for your help. Marilyn, I am with you. I try to do as little marking as possible, but sometimes you just need help to know where you are going.

Comment

Having been a "wood burner" for many years (eighteen years of a home based business where wood burned art was our best seller) and almost eighteen years since then, I do not recommend regular wood burners for plastic stencils. You will have a hard time getting a smooth edge or an even design unless you practice a "LOT!!!!!!" and wouldn't you rather be quilting? There were special stencil burners but I have not ever used one and now do not even know if they are still being produced. There must be an easier way. Listen to the experts, like Margo and have fun. Hugs, Ann

Comment

I have one of those plastic stencil burners somewhere. I don't remember if I ever used it. I vote for the heavy vellum or Golden Threads paper. I don't like marking my quilts so usually use the Golden Threads paper to sew on. It tears away easily.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't burn or melt plastic. It gives off fumes that may mess uop your breathing.
                  From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
                    Personally I wouldn't burn or melt plastic. It gives off fumes that may mess uop your breathing.
                    I had concerns about that and envisioned myself setting up shop outside. We are suppose to have temps this week that would allow for that. I am more inclined to use vellum or golden threads paper. I can't do anything to jeopardize good health and a very long life, otherwise, I will never get through my stash! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Actually, I should have mentioned the odors from melting plastic and even from some woods. Most wood smells good, like apple etc. but some smells really awful and you do not want to burn it for art or in your fireplace. LOL, ask me how I know!!!!!! Hugs, Ann

Comment

I have a question about the Pounce marking medium. The instructions are to iron it out. Does it have to be ironed out or can it be washed out as well? I will have some chalk lines from the Sewline pencil and I will have some water soluble pen markings. I don't want to inadvertantly make the soluble pen markings permanent with the iron. I am hoping the Pounce will wash out just like the others. What has your experience been? Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by loise98
                            I have a question about the Pounce marking medium. The instructions are to iron it out. Does it have to be ironed out or can it be washed out as well? I will have some chalk lines from the Sewline pencil and I will have some water soluble pen markings. I don't want to inadvertantly make the soluble pen markings permanent with the iron. I am hoping the Pounce will wash out just like the others. What has your experience been? Thank you very much.
                            I don't have any experience with this, but even if I did I think I would just test it on a small scrap of the fabric I'll be using. Better safe than sorry!

Nancy

Comment

Good answer Nancy!! Lois, if you do a test, please let us know what you learn!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                              That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2797 users online. 445 members and 2352 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X