Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Basting a flannel backed quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basting a flannel backed quilt

I am taking apart my first attempt at quilting this 6 foot square quilt. The back was wrinkly. T pins were used to stretch the layers. I am thinking of starching the top and backing before rebasting it. Ironing a quilt this large proves to be a bit crazy. As I go over it to iron other areas become wrinkled. I am going to use spray baste on the batting on both sides this time.

Any advice on starching, ironing and basting something this big?
    Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

I do use starch for my quilts...and especially with flannel as it is soft and stretchy by its nature !
    It is possible to pull backing too taute, causing wrinkling when let loose. Using a patting motion when
    spray basting rather than a smoothing motion will help reduce distortion, too. Don't ask ops: ops: !
    I tend to pin closely even when spray basting. Have faith..it gets easier !

Comment

Thanks, Marilyn. I will abandon the T pins and starch and pat. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Check out Sharon Schambers basting video. Since I have started using her method where you wind the top and bottom over boards and then unroll them as you baste, I have not had a wrinkle in any of my quilts. She shows you thread basting, but I have used the same method and pin basted. This video was on the TQS site as well as on a video that you can search for on the internet.

Karen

Comment

It is SLICK, SLICK, SLICK !!!! I use it often !

Comment

Thanks Karen and Marilyn. I think I'll be basting on Monday. It makes sense that pulling the flannel caused rebound wrinkles. I'll have to look at the video.

Comment

I love to sew with flannel but I always spray it with sizing (not starch) before I cut out the quilt pieces they sew so much esier and hold their shape. I'm getting older so getting on the floor to snadwich a quilt is no longer a step in my quilting process that I can do. I live in an area with lots of longarm quilter so I give them my quilts to baste.
              They use their longest stitch, some meander and some do it in a grid. I don't care which they do. My quilts stay together nicely and all I have do is clip thread as I qult. Hope you basting went well on Monday and hope you enjoy quiltling with flanne.
              Linda in KY

Comment

Hi, Linda, I let it go this week. I had company and didn't have the time. I'm going to spray baste. I just subscribed to a Craftsy video on quilting large quilts which explained how to spray baste. I have to watch it again to see where she sprayed the spray baste whether on the fabric or the batting. I have started to dejunk my house, so I may continue the trend which is badly needed. I have to stick at it. Is sizing better for flannel than starch? Jan

Comment

I either ran in a book or took a class that said sizing was better than starch when you used flannel. I have used sizing for years and never had a problem and my flannel sems to hold its shape and is easy to sew.
                  Linda in KY

Comment

I also use Hobbs fusible batting. It is fusible on booth sides and has always been easy to iron and it is easy to removed and do over. Good luck with your project. I always do my front first and backing next.

Comment

Thanks, Linda.

Comment

Well maybe I should wash out the starch in my flannel back to do it over. I tried spray basting and it still is wrinkly. Has anyone ever washed out spray baste as well??? I will post a new thread to find out.

Comment

Jan, Take a deep breath and try again! I tape my back to the floor (if it doesn't fit on the cutting table or the wall); then place a layer of newspapers next to the backing edges so I don't get overspray on the floor. Then I lay out my batting on top of the backing. Next I fold the batting in half so that the backing is exposed. I lightly spray the backing that is exposed. Lay the batting over the sprayed backing. Flip the other side of the batting on itself so the other half of the backing is exposed and lightly spray the backing, lay the batting on the backing.

I don't smooth the batting because for me that seems to cause wrinkles in the backing. I do lightly pat the batting if needed.

Next I lay the top on top of the batting. I fold the top in half--like I did the backing--so the batting is exposed. I then spray the wrong side of the top and lay it on the batting--repeat for the other side. I've found that spraying the fabric uses less spray and seems to work just as well.

When I'm finished quilting, I wash the whole quilt and all of the spray baste washes out.

I hope you will give it another try!

Comment

Thank you for this topic & discussion. Pinned a flannel back quilt yesterday (secured corners w/ clamps & sides w/ tape on my table.) I inadvertently stretched it...so I took out the 200+ pins yesterday afternoon & found this forum last night. Fortunately was able to see Susan Schambers (SP?) videos & DH is a woodworker. Used her method (NOTE: it probably works better if both boards are the same... but needs must!)
                            So far, so good!
                            Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
                            Meg

[The quilt is for my friends whose cancer came back & spread to her brain & lungs. I’m calling it ‘Monica’s Quilt’ All she wanted was ‘homemade’ & ‘Pink!’]

Comment

Meg, I am doing a mini version of Over and Dowm Under by Bonnie Sullivan. It is flannel. I would love to hear and maybe see pictures of how you quilt your flannel backed quilt. The person you were referring to is Sharon Schamber. She has a great You Tube
                              on putting on quilt bindings. It is called Binding The Angel (it is a angel applique wall hanging). It is in 3 parts. She is an expert on accuracy. HelenW

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2106 users online. 269 members and 1837 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X