Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

How much is enough on a wool quilt?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much is enough on a wool quilt?

I have been working on hand quilting this wool quilt. I have finished the pattern I intended and the lines between the stitches are 3" apart. My question is this, is this enough quilting to keep the quilt together? Or do I need to do lines between the lines? This is a quilt for my son who is now 5'11" and growing and about 13st. I know that this will get a lot of use - he wraps himself in his quilt while he plays X-box or Playstation games or watches TV. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know but I love it. Lucky son and lucky you having a son who likes your quilts and uses them. My youngest son is the same it's very satisfying.

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thanks Wendy.

Comment

It depends on the batting you have used, Rita. Check the package, or with the manufacturer to see what the recommended spacing is for the batting you used.
        Also, be aware that quilting on the bias is more likely to break with a lot of use, because the fabric on the bias will stretch, but your quilting stitches won't.
        So....for that reason, you might want to add some more quilting if you expect the quilt to get a lot of use.

I luv the quilt and know your son will enjoy using it!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I learn something every time you post Margo

Mug rugger and lounge lizard

Comment

Thanks Margo. I used wool batting and it said minimum 3". I guess that's why I am worried, because I have just done the bare minimum. Maybe I need to do some more lines in between.

Comment

I would think more would be better in this case. Your 3" I assume are measured diagonally between your stitching... but measured vertically and horizontally, it is more than 3" apart. That could be a problem. Wool is lovely to quilt and use, but if there is not enough quilting, it will bunch up over time.

Margo's comment about the bias stitching being more apt to break with use is accurate. Perhaps the new stitching you add could have shorter runs between tying off and starting each section. Could you do some vertical and horizontal stitching in the empty channels? It would make a new pattern but could be very nice.

I can draw it out on the pic if you would like.

And I agree, he is one lucky son!

Comment

If 3" is the minimum distance, what is the maximum? or am I getting things back to front?
                You could add a line 1/2" to the inside of what you have there already, instead of just splitting the difference and going down the middle. By the way, Joe Cunningham doesn't do knots when hand quilting, he just leaves a long tail buried in the wadding.

Comment

Yes Michelle it would be great if you could draw out what you mean thanks. I used a 30wt thread for extra strength but I get your point about the areas where there is more of a gap than three inches. :roll:

As for my son, he is a lucky boy and he knows it too. We are having such cool weather here that he might be using this quilt sooner rather than later.

Comment

Rosemary, I probably have got it arse-about-face -ways....but you know what I mean! 3" is the maximum distance apart for wool batting. (Did I get that right?) :lol:

Comment

Ahh :idea: maximum distance between lines/minimum amount of stitching you can get away with. I regret to say that I think you have more stitching to do - But since your son might be needing it sooner rather than later, could you entice him into helping, because once it starts being used, it won't get any more stitching done to it (and don't ask how I know :roll: )

Comment

It is beautiful. If it were me, I would add a row in between each of those rows or depending on my mood and the look I was going for, I might add in a tie in the middle of each block. I did this with my unmentionable quilt. I quilted the minimum and then added in ties. I really liked the look and extra texture it gave to the antique to me quilt.

I really love how your quilt looks. Have fun deciding what to do with the quilting. You know Madeira makes a thread called Lana that is wool on the outside and poly on the inside. I use it for all of my wool applique or when I want a different, more prounounced look. If you did go with ties, Lana would be fantastic used on your quilt.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                        <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

Thanks Jo Jo. That Lana thread sounds great and I wish I had known about it before I began. I have never seen it here. I have tied a quilt before (it always reminds me of the short story by Elizabeth Glaspell 'Jury of Her Peers') but that is not the affect I think I want with this one - although desperate measures....I was also wondering if the Janome Horizon acufeed system would be able to cope with it? But I have got the feeling that I am going to have to just bite the bullet and get hand quilting again. :roll: At least its wool on the top and the batting and cotton on the back so it's quite easy on the hands.

Comment

Rita, I have no experience with wool quilts, much less with quilting in general, but I could not pass up the chance to let you know that I really like the quilt you're putting together for your son, in particular its rustic quality and colors--so nice that he appreciates a good wool quilt from his mom!

Comment

My bet is that the Horizon would do fabulously. I haven't found a fabric yet that gives me problems. I use it exclusively for all my customer special orders especially ones that have stretchy material. It stitches like a dream whereas my Bernina that I adore for piecing stomps her feet, throws a fit, and spits the fabric right out of her mouth! :shock: Thank goodness for having two machines in my household. Oops... I mean three machines if I count my Featherweight.

aka ladyquilter

Troutdale, OR
                              <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress">http://www.sweetpeaz.com/wordpress</a><!-- m -->

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2739 users online. 408 members and 2331 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                              Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X