Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

where to begin

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where to begin

Can anyone tell me if there are any books or information on how to begin to design a quilt from scratch. I have eq7 and am greatful for its many projects, but where and how does the project begin?

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

I would suggest start with one block pattern you like, then play with it - add some colours you like, swap them around, change up the darks & lights. copy & paste multiples next to each other, put a plain block in every other position, turn it on point. Keep asking yourself 'What if?' or 'What else can I do?'
    Perhaps you could use 2 blocks and go through the same process.

Have you watched the latest show with Debbie & Charlotte about mystery quilts - they take 4 simple blocks and see what they can come up with, both were different.

Also have a look at the quilts in the 'Friendship Triangle exchange' there everyone started with the same block - the half square triangle - and there are loads of different layouts all based around that one block.

Relax, play and enjoy just fiddling around with shapes & colours

Comment

I have made some memory quilts, so I start with who it's for, is it a bed quilt or wall hanging. What type of material and technique to use. Are there any new techniques do I want to try. Get inspiration from photos, or other quilt designs..your options are pretty much endless.

Comment

Thank you Rosemary and Cheryl for your help, I have just finished watching Debbie and Charlette and now will experiment with their ideas. Again thank you.

Comment

I echo Rosemary's and Cheryl's comments. I ask a lot of what if questions too. I once took a class from Sharyn Craig http://www.sharyncraig.com/index.html She is the queen of putting blocks together that aren't the same size, don't have the same colors and making a quilt that is wonderful!! I also ask myself: How big is this project going to be? What feeling do I want to portray--Joy? Abundance? Fun? Excitement?

I also enjoy checking Wayne Kollinger's quilt blog for those "What If" solutions. http://waynekollingersquiltblog.blogspot.com/ He will take a block, rotate it and come up with a different quilt or maybe he will use two blocks and do the same or maybe he will change the color way in the block and share what a quilt might look like.

Betty Jo Tatum http://www.bjfabricartist.com/ who is a member of TQS shares her design process in her blog and I have found her blog to inspire me. Please share your designs and your design process with us. I look forward to seeing what you choose to do!

Comment

Thank you Terry, for those links.I will look into them. The idea is there , but what is the progression. I am an expert at copying other peoples ideas and pattens, and although they give me a sense of satisfaction I find that something is lacking. I would like to know the progression of designing.

Comment

One progression is to take another design and just change all the colours and/or values (grey scale) placement. Another could be look at china or tiles or ironwork (anything but other quilts!) to give you inspiration/ideas - say to yourself 'how would I make a picture/copy of that using fabric?' or 'how could I use part of that....?' As you saw from the show, Debbie & Charlotte both work in diametrically opposite ways and each has her own progression method. Perhaps you should start loosening up to the process by making just small journal size quilts (A4)that are pure play, but if you are lucky could become place mats. You don't have to start off by designing a large bed quilt. And start scribbleing on some paper - a plain sheet of white paper can be very intimidating, it 'looks at you with menaces' 'daring you to mess-up' - go ahead mess up some paper, then turn it over and mess it up some more

Comment

One of my recent ideas.
                I took a inklique class with Sherry Rogers-Harrison and I also do genealogy. I had found a family crest and thought Sherry's technique would be perfect for the crest. So now i will work on making the pattern to be quilted, hang it on the wall and live with it for a bit to decide how I want to quilt and decide if there is any extra elements in the background to add. I would put little sticky notes next to it as I think of things. then pick out fabrics and or pigments in this case.
                You could make a "map" of the technique so you don't forget a process. any piecing process, maybe trapunto?
                Im a list person so I would make a list of tools, fabric, special mediums and so on. I don't like getting into the middle of something and have to run to the store, or wait for an online order. You do need to be a little flexible. Something might inspire you to change an element. Go with it and let the piece talk to you.

Comment

Terry I have checked out the links you sent and found one that excited me. Wayne Collinger, I also am very grateful to all the other ladies for their input, each idea has given me the desire to get going. Thank you all again. Elaine

Comment

Terry thanks for the link to Wayne Kollinger! That's one I plan to check on often.
                    Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Terry, thanks for the shout out. I will be happy to help anyone with their design process if they have any questions. I love to share what I have been struggling to learn myself.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                      Betty Jo

Comment

Elaine,
                        Cheryl and Rosemary gave more great suggestions. I would also say this is a new process for me too and the first time was the hardest. I'm currently working on a daffodil quilt that was inspired by a book that I read, "Clara and Mr. Tiffany." I'm blogging about my process here on TQS so check it out. This was my first blog about the project. community/my-profile/quilting00
                        Betty Jo really has inspired me to experiment with the design process. Blogging about my project and receiving feedback from the readers has helped me see new possibilities. It has been a fun journey. So show us what you are working on. . .even if it is a photo of a color!

Comment

Terry I have been in touch with Betty Jo and found her willingness to help wonderful. Thank you, and Rosemary and Cheryl all your ideas were great and I appreciate them all. I am on my way and I am excited. God bless, Elaine

Comment

Elaine, I am excited to read that you're excited and on your way!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2681 users online. 386 members and 2295 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                            Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                            X