Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Breaking Thread while FMQ

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking Thread while FMQ

I am using King Tut thread and have trouble shot all the usuals- rethread, cleaned bobbin case and new needle. I was going along fine until the last little while and all of a sudden I have breaking thread with increasing frequency. I notice that the tension of the thread on the spool has changed. See the photo. As I got near the center of the spool the thread is very wavy and not wound as tight on the spool. Check out the photo. I am ready to try the new spool even though there is lots left on the first spool. Do you think the way this thread is wound is contributing to the thread breaking problem? Lois

I don't know if that is the cause of the problem, but I would send this picture and your comments directly to Bob at Superior Threads. They are a very helpful company and I know he'd want to see this and I bet he can help with your problem.

Comment

Lois..I'm hoping to see your resolution( we certainly hope!) I have 2 spools of King Tut that look just like that !! Now,
      I can't say that I had any problem with the thread...but surely thought that it was not up to snuff, so to speak ! Good luck
      and those folks at Superior are just the best ! They've helped me with other issues!

Comment

I changed spools and started in with the new spool. So far there is not breakage. Yes, the people at Superior Threads have helped me with questions before. They were prompt and helpful. I will do that tomorrow. Lois

Comment

Fingers crossed !!

Comment

I would be very interested in answers to this problem. I think King Tut looks like this, at least I have seen it on all of my spools. I love to quilt with that thread, and I had the same problem with breaking thread and I thought this was the problem just a few days ago. I went on sewing more slow and I did complete the quilting. I did not have a replacement spool, so it was just do it or not getting it done for quite some time. I get my thread from UK and it takes a while from ordering to delivering

living in Central Denmark
            Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

As I promised, I informed Bob the Thread Guy about this problem. The following is what I sent.
              Bob,
              First of all, let me tell you that I've been to your seminar (Quilt Odyssey - Hershey 2011), follow all your appearances on TQS, and I receive and read the newsletter. Doing all those things has contributed to greater success with my sewing/quilting. However, I am having some difficulty FMQ/quilting with King Tut thread. It's breaking. Now this problem did not occur until after I got well into the spool. See the attached picture. You can see that the condition of the wrap on the spool has changed. Because it was late at night when the problem began occurring I went to my fellow TQS members on the Forum. I think you would be interested in the discussion that followed. Here's the link to the thread. You'll have to cut and paste because I don't know how to embed the link so you can just click on it.

http://forum/i-need-quilting-related...read-while-fmq

If you read the thread on the Forum you will learn that after I switched to the new spool I had no problems with the breaking thread. With the first spool the breaking did not occur until I was well into the spool. When it started it continued with increasing frequency. I'd appreciate anything you might be able to do to help me with this matter. I love the the thread and want to finish my quilt with it. Thanks so much for all you do to help educate quilters. Lois Bruno

Comment

It looks like it was the way the wavy thread was wound onto the spool that was causing the problem Lois. I am curious? Did you have the spool lying on it's side or did you have it upright on the thread stand? Did you try changing the thread's orientation? Anyway, I am glad that you had a spare spool and were able to get on with the job. We will all be interested to know what Bob Purcell has to say about it. I can't wait to see that quilt when you are done.

Comment

Rita, I can't wait to see the finished quilt either. I have run into so many glitches with it. First the backing with the holes now this. The orientation of the thread was as is recommended. The spool was on a vertical spindel and the thread remain horizontal until it reached the thread intake slot - no extra twists in the thread delivery. It seems to me the problem did not occurr until I got well into the spool and into the wavy thread. So far I have had no difficulty with the second spool but the thread is also not wavy. According to Norma, her King Tut has similar waviness. I am wondering if I will find waviness in the center of this spool too. The first spool was not wavy at the start either. It will be good to hear what Bob says. Lois

Comment

Bob is a member of TQS community/my-profile/ThreadGuy so maybe he will answer here.

If not, please let us know what he says!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Yes it will be good to hear what Bob says. If, in the meantime, you get to a point in the second spool where it begins to go wavy I wonder if putting it on a thread cone and putting one of those nets over it might help? Just a suggestion. I have not had this problem with thread so I am probably clutching at straws here.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                        Bob is a member of TQS community/my-profile/ThreadGuy so maybe he will answer here.

If not, please let us know what he says!
                        I was hoping he might. That's why I gave him the link to this Thread on the Forum. I have to take a break from this project once again. It's Mother's Day weekend and we are taking a road trip to visit my mother-in-law. Then it's to NJ to visit the Grandchildren Monday and Tuesday. I wanted to take the finished quilt with me but that is not going to happen. I won't get back to it until mid-week and by then I am sure we would have heard from Bob. Thanks for all your ideas and help. Lois

Comment

Safe trip and enjoy your weekend Lois.

Comment

Have a safe trip to NJ, Lois and Happy Mother's day to all! As I read your thread, Lois, and some of my spools of King Tut look like yours toward the end but have not had thread breakage, I was wondering: because of the waviness of the thread, we are all thinking about the thread as the problem, but could it be the needle? I would at least try changing the needle and seeing if I still have the same problem. Just a thought.
                            Renata

Comment

Originally posted by Renata
                              Have a safe trip to NJ, Lois and Happy Mother's day to all! As I read your thread, Lois, and some of my spools of King Tut look like yours toward the end but have not had thread breakage, I was wondering: because of the waviness of the thread, we are all thinking about the thread as the problem, but could it be the needle? I would at least try changing the needle and seeing if I still have the same problem. Just a thought.
                              Renata
                              Been there. Done that! I have been to the Thread Guy's seminar and I am following his instructions. Top stitch 90 needle - new one & changed it again. Thread delivery is what is recommended and it is working with the smooth part of the new spool. Cleaned lints out of the bobbin area. Did you note Norma is experiencing the same thing. I have King Tut in the bobbin also. I don't want to use Bottom Line there for design reasons. Lois

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2695 users online. 389 members and 2306 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                              Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X