Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

tee shirt quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tee shirt quilt

Can anyone tell me what interfacing to use on the back of the tee shirt for a tee shirt quilt? I saw one at a local quilt show one time and I can't remember what the woman who made it told me. I do remember she said it was important?????

I use a lightweight fusible on the back of shirts. I don't want to add a lot of bulk, just stabilize them until I get the top made.

Joann's sells a prepackage of 10 yds for not much $ and if you have a coupon or they are on sale, that is better. I just saw them the last time I was there. At my small store, the interfacing is on the end of the cutting table and these were in a box (on the floor, of course) near there.

Hope this helps!
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

thanks, do you know the name of the fusible?

Comment

Katherine I use a fusible knit I fuse it to the t-shirt opposite to the way the shirt stretches, it remains soft Good Luck Joan

Comment

I have heard from JaneAnne, who confirmed what Martha Deleonardis stated in her book T*SHIRT Quilts, that 911FF Pellon Fusible Featherweight is the way to go. It can be purchased at Joann's, where it is currently on sale at 50% off! Supposedly, this particular one is forgiving, if the directions are not followed perfectly. Others seem to get temperamental if you don't bond it just right.

Dawn
          In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Wow Thanks! I'll go there tomorrow......Katherine from Richmond area VA

Comment

Yes, I didn't know the code numbers but I use Pellon Fusible Featherweight, too.

Originally posted by Scoopie
              I have heard from JaneAnne, who confirmed what Martha Deleonardis stated in her book T*SHIRT Quilts, that 911FF Pellon Fusible Featherweight is the way to go. It can be purchased at Joann's, where it is currently on sale at 50% off! Supposedly, this particular one is forgiving, if the directions are not followed perfectly. Others seem to get temperamental if you don't bond it just right.

Dawn
              In beautiful Northwest Montana
              Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
              working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
              Tired.
              Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
              BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

Comment

I made a king-size tee shirt quilt about ten years ago with NO fusible. :shock: The quilt is washed constantly due to dust allergies and
                while the woven-fabric sashing is wearing out, the tee shirts are just fine. The sashing worked as a stabilizer while sewing the
                top together. I will be making another quilt soon and don't plan to use fusible in this one either. I did make slightly wider seams (about
                1/2 inch) and most of the tee shirts were fairly new.

Comment

Anybody tried the Margo stand-by of starch yet?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJudy
                    I made a king-size tee shirt quilt about ten years ago with NO fusible. :shock: The quilt is washed constantly due to dust allergies and
                    while the woven-fabric sashing is wearing out, the tee shirts are just fine. The sashing worked as a stabilizer while sewing the
                    top together. I will be making another quilt soon and don't plan to use fusible in this one either. I did make slightly wider seams (about
                    1/2 inch) and most of the tee shirts were fairly new.
                    I don't know if this is the same process, but I know that there is a book titled "Too Cool T-shirt Quilts" that has a process that doesn't use stabilizer. I just haven't bought it yet.

Comment

We use EK130 from Pellon it is not stiff at all works great

Comment

Nancy from STL how did you quilt the tee shirt quilt you talk about in the forum where you didn't use stabilizer or backing????stitch in the ditch ????how large a block size did you use. I'm concerned about the stretching??? I would be grateful for any info you could tell me to clarify

Comment

I'm not Nancy, but what I used was a fairly good-sized meandering stipple stitch
                          over all of the blocks and sashing. This was early-on in my machine quilting
                          efforts -- not that I've done all that much since then -- :wink: but it worked
                          out quite nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by katherinequilts
                            Nancy from STL how did you quilt the tee shirt quilt you talk about in the forum where you didn't use stabilizer or backing????stitch in the ditch ????how large a block size did you use. I'm concerned about the stretching??? I would be grateful for any info you could tell me to clarify
                            Forgive me for the late reply. I referred to a book titled "Too Cool T-shirt Quilts" that has a process that doesn't use stabilizer. To date, I haven't seen the book, so I'm not sure how the process works. I plan to get a copy of the book before I ever make a T-shirt quilt. However, now you can get fusibles that are nearly weightless and have a great drape, but they are probably expensive too and you'd need quite a bit for an entire quilt.

Comment

Thanks Nancy, I finished the quilt I was making last week. It is made up of 30- 13.5" squares backed with pellon 911F. The fusible interfacing made it a breeze to sew them together but it is a little heavy so I pressed the seams open. I used warm&white batting and a cotton backing that her Mom picked out. It is a graduation gift for a High Schooler who is heading off to college in the Fall. They love it! I stitched in the ditch but since warm and natural calls for 10" quilting I free motioned around certain designs on each square using the color thread matching each tee because they were so amazing I didn't want to distract from them. For example one was a boat and crossed oars because she is on rowing team so I sewed around them. I was really happy with it and now my daughter is saving shirts for my Grandson who is a freshman so I can make him one eventually. I think I would look a little for a lighter interfacing but one thing is for sure. I believe the one I made will wear like iron!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2829 users online. 542 members and 2287 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25684   Active Members: 1,326  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X