Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Working in Centimetres

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted here some days ago or at least that's what I thought. I don't know where my wise word went . So I try again:
    If you have the basic pattern parts (and I assume that, because the pattern says: add seam allowance), you can use your add a quarter ruler and from then work in inches. Don't translate. It will not work. Try it out in paper. I always sew a block in paper if I'm not sure, that the parts will fit. It's easy and you soon know if it's going to be flat.

living in Central Denmark
    Charlie Brown: The secret is to look fantastic at a distance

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
      But they did switch here in the UK. If you build a house today, everything is measured in mm, and engineering works entirely in mm. Quilting just hasn't caught up and is stuck in a time warp somewhere.
      So thats where I am! stuck in a time warp :lol:

Double confusion here if I do talk about metric measurements I talk about centimetres & metres, whereas DH the engineer talks about millimetres - arrrggghhhh!

Comment

As someone brought up on inches, feet and yards, even though we went metric many many many years ago, I will work in inches until the day I die. :lol: :lol: :lol: My children were taught centimetres at school but they cope quite well when I talk imperial measurements to them. :roll: :roll: :roll:

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

I support the inch brigade, imagine the cost of replacing all those rulers aquired over the years, not to mention the machine feet !!

In leafy Berkshire, south of England.

Comment

Imagine at my hospital, where they express height in cm and weight in kg in the computer. This is in California- I have to translate that into inches of height. I'm ok with kg, having been educated that way in chemistry and pharmacy school. But I always have to think - is 175 cm tall?

I prefer my weight in kg, it seems so much less

kathy

Comment

i have all rulers and gadgets in duplicate - one set in inches and one set in metric - and a couple of tape measures that conveniently show both - makes life sooooooo much easier. but i do hate buying fabric in yards - i keep thinking i'm loosing out
              personally i hate receiving instructions in mm - why express things in a thousandth if i need a meter and a half?
              when i learned the measurements - the main one was a meter - which has 1000 milimeters (mili = thousand), 100 cm (centi = hundred), 10 dm (decimeters, deci = ten)
              i don't think of 40 mm - to me it's 4 cm; certainly never 400 mm - that's 4 dm, or 40 cm - but as soon as my measure would be over 100 - it's broken down to the next dec...
              i'm forever trying to remember how many inches in a foot - and why 3 feet to a yard - after that i'm totally lost
              so i guess for all of us it's just what we're most used to...
              in school we used little wooden blocks and cubes to figure out the metric system - whenever you had 10 of something you ended up with the next measure - so easy to relate to i think... and whenever i think of a square i immediately have "all the little cubes lined up" in front of my mind's eye
              rambling again - should be sleeping - but that's why i'm here - can't sleep - 04:37 am - one an hour and a half till i have to wake up - and still not sleeping grrrrrrrrrr
              Lotti, Kuessnacht - Switzerland

Comment

Lotti, I really hope you'll make it through the day. That was not much sleep for you.
                I'm glad to hear that another person struggles with the foot measurement. I'm quite familiar with the inch and how it is divided and really prefer to work with it. But when it comes to feet, I'm not with you any longer. All you "inch people" don't know how difficult it is to sew in cm's with presser feet made to accommodate inches. And they do not make them for cm's as far as I have found out.
                Then the foot plate is another story, because when you live in Denmark you get that one with cm marks. Fun - eh?

Like you, Lotti, I have the rulers and tape measures in both cm and inches and always have to think twice when buying fabrics in yards. Well, that might be the reason you don't sleep. Too much to think of

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2

kathy
                  I always think of my weight in stones (14 lb =1 stone) that way the number is even smaller than kg 8)

Comment

Originally posted by PosyP
                    Originally posted by kathyst2

kathy
                    I always think of my weight in stones (14 lb =1 stone) that way the number is even smaller than kg 8)
                    Even Better, I'm practically vanishing now. I remember watching a british TV show that was mentioning people's weight in stones and I had to look up how many pounds in a stone.

Kathy

Comment

I word with exchange students, who arrive at the end of August. I love to tell them it is only 90 degrees today! I speak "Metric," but I live in Imperial units.
                      Posy, I am going with you: my weight in stones!

Comment

Reported!

Comment

Please don't change to centimetres, I'm 72 years old and had a hard enough time when we went decimal.
                          All I know is 39 inches is a metre.
                          That said my husband is German and has always measured in centimetres.
                          Confused in Surrey uk

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2702 users online. 391 members and 2311 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,313  
                          Welcome to our newest member, lanaderay lanaderay-lanaderay0011.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X