Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Bali Wedding Star

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bali Wedding Star

I'd love to make a Bali Wedding Star quilt (Judy Neimeyer pattern), and need help from those who have done one. I really like the Hoffman Bali Pops and Tonga treats collections, but I prefer to prewash my fabric to prevent bleeding. I thought I could put the strips into several lingerie bags, so they wouldn't get tangled up while washing and drying, and then clean up the edges. But I'm hoping someone can tell me if I need the full 2 1/2" width of the strip in order to do the foundation piecing, or will I have enough room if I prewash and then clean up the edges? Would it be better to buy batik stash builders, FQ packs, and grab bags if I want to prewash?

The Judy Neimeyer website has a link to the fabrics used in the sample quilt, and it says that 5-6 Bali Pop collections would be enough for the quilt. But if there are 8 fabrics in each of the 11 color familes used in the quilt, and each Bali Pop collection has 40 strips, wouldn't buying 5-6 Babi Pops be overkill? Or are the remaining stips used in the interlocking squares and star portions of the pattern?

There are several Bali Wedding Star classes this summer that I could drive to, but since they are two hours away, I'd like to get some advice before I sign up. I haven't done foundation paper piecing yet, but I have used the HST paper and I have some simple blocks I can practice on. So if the quilt shops who have classes this summer don't offer them when my daughter does get engaged, I'm out of luck and doing the pattern on my own. I've told her I need three years advance notice for her wedding quilt - LOL!

I'd sure appreciate advice from anyone who can help.

Thanks,

Sue
    Jules~

@julesquilts on IG 
    working farm wife and quilter in the off-seasons
    Tired.
    Modern quilter, QOV volunteer, Improv, FPP w/o stitching on paper, freehand quilting on my long-arm.
    BERNINA 790 Pro, Elna Serger, Handi Quilter Fusion, 3 FW,  a lot of old Singers and other vintage and antique machines (25+).

You might want to contact Sharon (sewengle) from Colorado. She is working on it right now, and about to pull her hair out, if her blogs are any indication.

Dawn
    In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Sue, here is a link to Sharon's Member Blog: community/my-profile/sewengel
      You can contact her through her profile.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Thanks Margo and Dawn. If she's pulling her hair out, maybe I'm getting too ambitious!

Sue

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I think you probably need to find out "why" she is having trouble. Living here in Judy Neimeyer country, we have been having at least 2 Bali Wedding Stars in our annual quilt show every year, and they are all georgeous! So, people ARE doing them. Also, your first question was about the 2 1/2 inch fabric, which Sharon can probably answer. And, then just sign up for one of the classes, and you should be fine!

Dawn

Comment

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the quilt behind me in my profile photo is a one-of-a-kind Judy Neimeyer designed raffle quilt that I was ever so lucky to win! It just got too big, so she decided not to produce it. Lucky me, huh?

Dawn

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Dawn! I'll check with Sharon. And lucky you - I love the colors of the quilt you won! My daughter would love it too.

Sue

Comment

Hi girls - sue just contacted me and hopefully we can talksoon. I have made judy's amazon star with no problems, but I had to stop part way to do the wedding, then I had trouble. There is a ton of sewing on it and the I went to the LQS for help it was greatly appreciated. Sue I hope u can call and I will tell u my experience. My attitude is much better since the help but is a big project even for experienced quilters.

What a great family this is to help others, thanks for sending her my way.

sharon

Comment

Sharon and I are going to talk Sunday evening, and I'll post a message to let others of any helpful advice.
                  Sue

Comment

Sue, did you know you can "Edit" your posts? I am always misspelling words, and am going back in after I have posted and correcting it. Just click on the "Edit" (Just to the left of your profile photo.) correct it, and them "Submit" it. And then, if you want, go to the one you just posted, and you can remove the last line, and no one will be the wiser.

Comment

I have used the Edit feature, but didn't know if my first post would be at the bottom of the screen afterwards. All fixed now, and still in order.

Sue

Comment

I just bought the Prairie Star by Judy. I will be following this post for helpful tips.

Comment

Sharon and I spoke tonight, and she was extremely helpful. She had previously done the Amazon Star pattern by Judy Neimeyer, which had gone well, and she is in the middle of the Bali Wedding Star. She is a more experienced sewer/quilter than I am, but had to put the quilt aside for a bit while she helped her daughter get married - she actually made the bridesmaids' dresses and her own Mother of the Bride dress - WOW! So her time on the king-sized quilt was limited, and she had run into a problem with too many arcs and not enough of the pie shaped pieces. She bought more foundation pieces for additional pie pieces, so she'll get getting back to the quilt after a little time off.

She said that Judy does a really clear job of explaining the patterns, especially what side of the foundation paper to sew on (since you have to think backwards on how to set the units), and Judy also gives instructions on how to keep all of the various fabrics and pieces organized. She said that the 2 1/2" strips should work, but she is using regular yardage and FQs, and she was not prewashing her fabric. And that the portions of the star section should have fabrics that contrast well with the black part, in order to see the difference between the two fabrics in the stars points.

So I think I'm going to go for it, but I need a little time to figure things out first. I'd prefer to prewash, so I'm going to buy yardage and FQ's too, and then I'll be sure of having enough fudge room when sewing (and real fudge nearby!) I'm also going to reduce the number of arcs needed by first making "only" a queen sized quilt, and then also changing the pattern a little. I want to eliminate the second row of rings inside the outer border, so there is a blank area for Flying Geese (like Bali Flowers for my Wedding Quilt), or maybe a little applique. Fewer arcs will be less intimidating and timeconsuming. And I'll definitely sign up for a class at a shop that has the Judy Neimeyer certified teacher showing the process and tricks, at least to get started. I don't have a deadline, so I can do a little each month, even if it does take three years.

Hope this helps others, and thanks so much Sharon for all your assistance! I really enjoyed our visit!

Sue

Comment

Sue -- it was a wonderful visit. You better show pictures.

Sharon

Comment

Reported!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1999 users online. 151 members and 1848 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X