Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Distilled water

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distilled water

For more years than I can count, I've used distilled water in my irons. A knowledgeable service person suggested it to me because of the extreme hard water that we have in our rural area. I've never had a problem with my iron and usually only change irons because someone in the family needs an iron which gives me a chance to get myself a new one. Five or six years ago we installed a soft water system in our home, but have continued to use distilled water in the irons. I recently watched a Fons & Porter program about caring for your iron and they strongly cautioned about using distilled water. I went on the Sunbeam website and they also discouraged the use of distilled water. Can anyone enlighten me?

Taree NSW - Australia
    My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

I just searched "best water for steam irons." There are many theories but the one that makes sense to me is that some irons are now manufactured to use medium hardness water. I have always used tap water with no harm, as far as I know, even when distilled was recommended.

Taree NSW - Australia
    My motto in life: live by the three GGG’s - be Grateful, be Gracious, be Gorgeous to yourself

Comment

I do remember years ago that most irons came with the instructions to use distilled water. I've been using tap water for years without a problem. The only time I use distilled water now is for making the homemade "Best Spray" using Mark Lupinski's recipe.

Taree NSW - Australia

Comment

My Rowenta recommended plain tap water. This did bring back memories. When I was little Mom would save the melted frost water when she defrosted the refrigerator. She used that in her iron. And whenever she needed soft water (to make homemade soap). Our water was from a well and very hard. I hadn't thought of that in years. :lol:

Comment

Could you share Mark's recipe for the spray when/how you use it? Thanks!

Comment

I had no idea that this was a 'hot topic'. I got a very cheap steam iron as a wedding gift in 1977. It always got water straight from the tap and finally died when I dropped it last year. The leaflet that came with my new iron says 'use tap water'. I bought another cheap one and expect it to last till 2044.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by NanaPie
              Could you share Mark's recipe for the spray when/how you use it? Thanks!
              I was curious and located the 'Hints' Mark shared on 'Simply Quilts'. Here's a link to the full list:
              http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/quiltin...ks/page-4.html

The lavender, distilled water and VODKA solution is on page 4 near the bottom. You'll have fun looking for it. I recalled the show while on the hunt and remember thinking at the time how generous Mark was in sharing so much. Just like everyone here!

Comment

Thank you for the link - you're right, it was a great read!! Some of those listed were ideas I had long forgotten, but will certainly put to use now! Beverly

Comment

It seems this link is no longer a valid link, do you have any other links that may work? I've tried searching HGTV but am having no luck.

Comment

Googling Lapinski iron spray, I found an entry called "Tulip's tips". There you will see the recipe! There's nothing you can't find If you google.

Comment

Check tip #3:

http://www.marklipinski.com/Tulip_Tips/TTcontent.html

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                      That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

I've always used distilled water in my iron as it spits out salty looking crystals if I use tap water. We don't even drink our tap water here. I like the lavender water idea. Has anyone had any problems using it? Thanks Sandi

Comment

Got it!! Thanks so very much!

Comment

Some irons need a little salt, which is usually enough in tap water, to make the water hotter to make steam. If the water is too soft for some irons, they start spitting out water. My little steamer says to use salt and water. Other irons get mineral buildup with tap water and need cleaning from time to time. So you need to read the directions that come with the irons and steamers nowadays to know what is best.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraBC
                              It seems this link is no longer a valid link, do you have any other links that may work? I've tried searching HGTV but am having no luck.
                              There are sites in the US that we cannot access. Has to do with regulations. I used to watch HGTV, US but now I cannot access it, only the Canadian version. Our site unfortunately, does not have quilting. If anyone knows how to watch it from Canada, please let me know.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1997 users online. 165 members and 1832 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X