Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Steam Iron Advice

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steam Iron Advice

My 10+ year old Rowenta Professional died last week. After years of no problems, it almost instantly burned out the switch or some other internal circuit and that was it. Shopping for a new one is a headache. Apparently Rowenta has a new owner and the irons just seem to have bad reviews plus my quilting friends that have them complain about them all the time. Can anyone provide some good advice about an iron that is wonderful for quilters, is reliable and not going to give out in a year? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

I have no idea how long it's going to last, but my latest iron purchase was the Rowenta Steamer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Rowenta-DG5030...931&sr=8-5

So far I REALLY like it. The steam is impressive, and it doesn't cut off automatically. The water tank holds over 4 cups of water, so it lasts longer than a regular iron. I do have a problem with water spurting when the steam button is first pushed, but that is easily absorbed by a handy towel. I also use it for steaming clothes that are already on hangers. It works great! However, I don't think this iron gets hot enough for some pressing projects.

Because there are times when I really don't want steam, I also use a hot dry iron from Vermont Country Store. This thing get HOT, and it gets hot FAST! No auto-cut off.
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/p...l?evar3=browse
    Because it's a dry iron, there are no steam holes that leave void spots when using fusible products.

I keep them both plugged into a power strip/surge protector that also has a light plugged into it. When I turn them off I use the switch on the surge protector, so I know that if the light is on, the irons are on. If the light is off, the irons are off.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Mark Lapinski & the QNNTV guys are touting the "Reliable" Iron. Bought one, and it works well so far....you might want to check that brand out.

Comment

I have one of the Oliso irons. http://www.oliso.com/ It's heavy, which I like, and you don't have to pick it up.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
        Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

I have the iron from the Vermont Country Store and I second Margo's opinion. It's a pleasure to use because it's HOT and doesn't leave steam vent marks. My old steam iron is still working, thank goodness!

Kathy

Comment

I spent two days in Vermont in 2002 and loved, loved, loved every second of it. So, Kathy, anything with the name 'Vermont' on it must be special.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Lorchen
              I spent two days in Vermont in 2002 and loved, loved, loved every second of it. So, Kathy, anything with the name 'Vermont' on it must be special.
              Lucky you, Lorchen. The Vermont Country Store catalog sells things from "bygone days" that are impossible to find at retail stores but people still want to buy, like this iron. My Mom bought a toaster for me from there, it's old fashioned, all it does is make wonderful toast.

I hear it gets very very cold in Vermont during the winter! This California girl will stay here, where the birds are singing like crazy and we can have the patio door open to hear them.

Kathy

Comment

I have a Reliable Digital Velocity iron that I really like. It is heavy, which I like, and has 1800w so it gets pretty hot. Also you can control the steam easily and it has a feature that overrides the automatic shut off. Here is a link for their new iron which I would have gotten just because of the color!, but it wasn't out when I got mine. http://www.reliablecorporation.com/P...s/Velocity-V50
                Be sure and look at the wattage of an iron because the higher the wattage, the hotter it gets. I have had a few irons in the past that didn't get very hot.
                Back to Quilting!

Comment

Thanks. I've been researching the Reliable irons and have found that they're often loved by quilters who use their irons a lot however I'm a bit nervous about them because my Viking dealer had the same model you do and it suddenly burned out after 13 months....one month after the warranty ran out. My old Rowenta pro was a wonderful iron but I know that I don't want to get another one....too many problems out there with dripping, spitting and just plain malfunction after a short period of time. Thanks again for taking the time to send me a note.
                  Back to Quilting!

Comment

Just my two cents worth--Don't judge an iron, or anything for that matter, based on one person's biting the dust after 13 months. You always hear about the bad long before the good. This could have been am exception. I guess I was in business too long to judge everything based on one person's complaint when many others who bought the same product had no problems and were actually pleased when I inquired to get their opinion.. Buy based on wattage and the features that you feel you must have.
                    Back to Quilting!

Comment

Thanks Agnes. After owning a retail business for 25 years I agree that the complainers most often are the loudest. I just want to make a good decision before I pay for a good iron. Happy Quilting.
                      Back to Quilting!

Comment

My Rowenta died last month....actually the cord shorted out. BUT my brother was able to take it apart, cut the bad cord, and reassemble it. He had to buy a special bit for his screwdriver but then we were in business....and my trusty Rowenta seems to be better than new. Any chance yours can be fixed the same way? May be worth a try.
                        Back to Quilting!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2871 users online. 526 members and 2345 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                        Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X