Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Piecing Batting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piecing Batting

I have two pieces of wool batting that I'd like to use in a quilt. Can I just spray the backing and butt the batting pieces up to each other, or should I hand baste them together?

You might want to try this new product: http://www.heatpressbattingtogether.com/

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Originally posted by KathyR
      I have two pieces of wool batting that I'd like to use in a quilt. Can I just spray the backing and butt the batting pieces up to each other, or should I hand baste them together?
      Kathy, I use a wide and long zig zag stitch to "baste" my batting pieces together. It has worked fine for the wool and the 80/20 types of batting that I use. I wouldn't trust that the adhesive spray would hold the edges of your batting together while you quilt. You sure wouldn't want any separation! That product Margo provided the link for is interesting although it doesn't take long to sew the batting pieces together.

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
        You might want to try this new product: http://www.heatpressbattingtogether.com/
        I bought a roll of it at our local quilt show- it works great. It's basically fusible knit interfacing, cut 1 inch wide and rolled up. But it held my batting together and you can't tell there's any piecing in the batting. I've used it on 2 quilts so far. The demonstrator mentioned about different heat settings for different battings, and pressing not ironing. I wonder if the website mentioned has demos for it? Nice product.

Kathy

Comment

Margo and Kathy, you have all the answers. How great! I have always done the zig zag and it works pretty well, but this sounds even better. Thanks for the tip.

AND EVEN BETTER,

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Comment

I just that stuff for sale in a catalog this week and was wondering how it worked. I am starting to acquire too many pieces of batting and will have to consider getting some of that stuff if I decide to place an order for other things.

And my next thought after I read the post about it here was, "Dang! Another thing I never thought to invent and I could have gotten rich from it! Just like I missed out on Velcro!"

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
              Originally posted by Margo
              I bought a roll of it at our local quilt show- it works great. It's basically fusible knit interfacing, cut 1 inch wide and rolled up. But it held my batting together and you can't tell there's any piecing in the batting. I've used it on 2 quilts so far. The demonstrator mentioned about different heat settings for different battings, and pressing not ironing. I wonder if the website mentioned has demos for it? Nice product.

Kathy
              Yes, Kathy! There is a video on the site!

Comment

Thank you all! If my local quilt shop doesn't have the fusible tape, I'll try zig zagging this time. I want to get this quilt basted before my Beloved Beauties fabric arrives!

Kathy

Comment

Kathy, if you can't find the tape, look for a very light weight (knit, not woven) fusible interfacing and cut it into strips!!

If you overlap the two edges of your batting and cut one seam down the middle, you will have matched cut edges to fuse together. Just like wall paper!! b

Comment

I just recently pieced my first batting. I used strips of fusible Quilter's Grid because that was what I had available without going to the store. I put it on both sides and it worked fine. All of my fabrics were dark enough so the lines don't show through.

Comment

A very timely question. I am getting ready to piece (2) two pieces of batting, left over from a big quilt to baste a wall hanging, and was wondering what was the easiest way to do it> I was going to stitch them together, then here was the answer of the tape? which I do not have, but checked my inter facings and sure enough I have some knit fusible, so that is what I am using, since a trip to the store is out for today. We had rain since yesterday afternoon around 3, all night then about 10 this morning it started snowing till about 11. Now I do not know what will happen. forcast this morning was that we will really get snow tonight and early tomorrow, with an arctic cold. Will see what happens.

Margarita in Auburn, CA

Comment

Originally posted by MargaritaW
                        A very timely question. I am getting ready to piece (2) two pieces of batting, left over from a big quilt to baste a wall hanging, and was wondering what was the easiest way to do it> I was going to stitch them together, then here was the answer of the tape? which I do not have, but checked my inter facings and sure enough I have some knit fusible, so that is what I am using, since a trip to the store is out for today. We had rain since yesterday afternoon around 3, all night then about 10 this morning it started snowing till about 11. Now I do not know what will happen. forcast this morning was that we will really get snow tonight and early tomorrow, with an arctic cold. Will see what happens.

Margarita in Auburn, CA
                        Sounds slippery Margarita. I'm glad you don't have to go out.
                        Lyndhurst, Ohio USA - East Side Suburb of Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by QuilterLynn
                          Margo and Kathy, you have all the answers. How great! I have always done the zig zag and it works pretty well, but this sounds even better. Thanks for the tip.

AND EVEN BETTER,

MADE IN THE U.S.A.
                          (snicker) well I had this answer anyway. I have zigzagged by machine, and by hand, and this is easier, quicker and looks better. And if Margarita cuts some fusible knit interfacing that she has at home, it's even free! And Margo says there is a video on the website, which I will have to check out. The demonstrator was the Batty Lady who may have been the product's developer. (She sells batting and vends at quilt shows)

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by kathyst2
                            Originally posted by QuilterLynn

AND EVEN BETTER,

MADE IN THE U.S.A.
                            (snicker) well I had this answer anyway. I have zigzagged by machine, and by hand, and this is easier, quicker and looks better. And if Margarita cuts some fusible knit interfacing that she has at home, it's even free! And Margo says there is a video on the website, which I will have to check out. The demonstrator was the Batty Lady who may have been the product's developer. (She sells batting and vends at quilt shows)

Kathy

Kathy, just click on this link and scroll down a little for the video: http://www.heatpressbattingtogether.com/

Comment

So GLAD to know how to do this. I didn't like it when I stitched it together. This sounds like it really will work! Thanks!

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                              Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1999 users online. 166 members and 1833 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X