Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

How do I quilt this?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I quilt this?

This is my pregnant DD's baby quilt. It is a solid white with a white on white polka dot on the border. I need to do something that is going to stand out as there is so much white! I have a pale grey that I was thinking of using but what do I do for a design??? I'm totally lost as to what to do. Any great ideas??

Since hockey is such a rough and tumble sport, I wouldn't try to use anything curvy or girly on this kind of quilt. Just simple cross-hatching in the center at whatever scale you think is appropriate and just straight mitered lines around the border. I would stitch in the ditch around the yellow border.
    This sketch may give you an idea of how that could look.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo is one of the queens of quilting and quilting ideas and I don't want to step on her toes, but...

Before I quilted the grid, I might quilt the names of some of your favorite players in the area that they normally play. Of course, in big script, I'd quilt Luongo's name near or on the home goal, and I'd quilt the Sedin twin's names in the forward spaces, defensemen like Sammy Salo and Keith Ballard (he's kind of cute ) where they belong. And certainly, you should quilt the name of some crappy division goaltender like Calgary's Kiprusoff in the visitors goal with some appropriately disparaging remarks...

And then you could grid quilt the empty spaces behind that.

That's what I might be inclined to do... especially if your want your DD's baby to start life being a good hockey fan.

-keith
      keithdommer.com

Comment

Those are GREAT Ideas! My daughter is a huge Sedin fan and my granddaughter adores Burrows. I'm glad I asked because both ideas are terrific. I will get the scoop on who to put into goal on the 'other' side. This will be for a little boy who is going to be immersed in hockey, mom, dad and daughter are huge fans of the Canucks. Thanks so much for the ideas!
        keithdommer.com

Comment

Brilliant idea, Keith! I wasn't sure how experienced Laura is, so I'm glad she will add the names!! What a team!

Comment

I would also add words representing traits that you want the baby to have like Love; truth; health; intelligence; patience, imagination etc. I have noticed that people really love to find those words

Comment

Keith, you rock!!
              From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Thanks, Lorchen! Just when I was thinking it was good that I wasn't a dad... But I'd like to think I would develop all kinds of honourable traits in my children - just maybe not through a rockin' hockey quilt.

You rock too - I haven't talked to you in a while; I have been reading some of your posts. The image of Ricky overcome by 'lilac madness' has kept me going for days! =) (I put the 'u' in above just for U, Lorchen.)

And I'll play on Team Margo anytime.
                keithdommer.com

Comment

Can you imagine a real play date with all of our TQS buddies??? Madness, I'm tellin' ya!

Comment

I'm definitely posting pics when I'm done this one. I have had it sandwiched and ready to go for ages, but couldn't figure out what to do, then did try something and ripped it all out. So tonight I have the names already to go on my Embird program, and will rebaste the quilt now that I have taken most of the pins out of it, then hopefully this weekend I will be quilting away.

Comment

Keith, Margo...... You'd have to put me in goal. I was quite a decent goalkeeper during my school years, and I'm not built for running a lot.
                      From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Lorchen, if you were in the visitors goal, I wouldn't have a thing to say... =) But I'd pay to see that. =)

Laura, please do let us see how things turn out!
                        keithdommer.com

Comment

I'm just impressed you knew it was a hockey field Margo? I couldn't figure out WHAT it was. Good ideas, folks!

Comment

Might be late, I was thinking hockey skates and sticks with names or I have a book continuous line quilting that has a hockey player you could blow up to fit two facing each other then grid.

Comment

It's done. I did the crosshatch grid like Margo suggested and put in the Canuck team names. I didn't want DD to know what I was doing so I asked my 5 yr old DGD who knew the players, positions and who the most hated goalie in the league is, yes, Calgary Flames. But she didn't want his name on the quilt, so I didn't do it. The 'slgns' around the edges have sayings like 'Rent this Space call 1800 dad. He Shoots He scores. Easily Amused, Go Nucks, Hooray for Boobies, I am Canadian, etc. You can't see it well, but I did a red flange with the black binding, and the back is a black white and red Canada hockey fabric. I'm anxious to see how she likes it, as she was the one with the idea, I just had to create it. I did buy the Canuck logo due to copyright restrictions. Here's a couple of close up pictures. You can't really see the crosshatching, it's done in the same blue that the players names is in. Thanks so much for the great ideas, I was totally lost as to how to do this. I wanted something distinctive and it worked great.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2001 users online. 164 members and 1837 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X