Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Crazy Quilt

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Quilt

My niece would like me to help her make a crazy quilt. I've never made a complete crazy quilt just a few blocks here and there. This is the way I learned: You cut a foundation piece for your block from muslin, then you cut a five sided shape from your crazy quilt fabic and place it in the middle of the muslin. You cut a chunk of fabric from another piece and lay it right sides together on one side of the five sided object and sew it down and you build from there. Is there a better way to do it? Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

Jenice, if you want a little more structure, you can print out EQ crazy quilt block designs from your printer right onto Stable Stuff
    http://www.rickytims.com/online-stor...category_id=26
    and use it like foundation paper piecing, except that you don't have to tear it away, and it adds less weight to the quilt than muslin foundations do.

That's the technique I used for this quilt made of silk neckties:

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Okay...I didn't think of EQ that is a great idea.

Comment

Margo, that is a gorgeous quilt. I hadn't thought of using stable stuff to print out the foundation on. I have been saving bits of silk, satins, and velvets, etc. for a crazy quilt myself. Thanks for such a great idea! Cheers, BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

I have just treated the blocks like irregular log cabin blocks. The result has not been excessively crazy, but the owner of the quilt and her parents like it.

From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

So precious and the quilt is cute too.
            From the edge of Sherwood Forest, home of Robin Hood

Comment

Awwww! What a great picture--such a delightful little one in the middle of that really neat quilt.

Betty Jo

Comment

Lorchen, what a lovely quilt and the little one sure is cute.

Margarita in Auburn, CA

Betty Jo

Comment

Lorchen, what a sweet baby quilt! Thanks for sharing your idea on fussy cutting the first block, I never would have thought of that!

Kathy in CA

Betty Jo

Comment

Awe what a sweet baby on that lovely quilt!

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                      Jenice, if you want a little more structure, you can print out EQ crazy quilt block designs from your printer right onto Stable Stuff
                      http://www.rickytims.com/online-stor...category_id=26
                      and use it like foundation paper piecing, except that you don't have to tear it away, and it adds less weight to the quilt than muslin foundations do.

That's the technique I used for this quilt made of silk neckties:

I like this idea Margo, BUT, I printed out with my HP non laser printer onto foundation paper and when I wet it for easy removal, the ink came off and stained the cream fabric, no amount of different stain removers would move it, so if you leave the stable stuff in, what happens when you wash it???

Lynn in very cold UK

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

Comment

YIKES! You can see from the photo that all of my fabrics were dark, and I didn't notice any signs of the inks bleeding. I also print all of my quilt labels on my printer, and I don't have trouble with the ink bleeding. I am always careful that the printer's ink is thoroughly heat set with a hot dry iron, and let it set a couple of days before I try to launder it.

Were your foundations ironed (during construction?) with a hot dry iron to heat set the ink? Also...did you use any color ink besides BLACK? None of the colored inks are colorfast, and they definitely will bleed. If I want to add color to my printed labels, I will ink it by hand with Micron Pigma pens or use Bubble Jet Set to pre-treat the fabric.

I guess everyone needs to thoroughly test the ink from their own printer to make sure it won't bleed.

Comment

It must be dependent on what you print on and the types of inks, because the colored inks I use in my HP are completely colorfast when printed on fabrics by the time I heat set them, rinse them in water, and iron it dry. I've had it wash fine, but it might not be colorfast on stable stuff. Hmmmm. worth testing.

Betty Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Margo
                            YIKES! You can see from the photo that all of my fabrics were dark, and I didn't notice any signs of the inks bleeding. I also print all of my quilt labels on my printer, and I don't have trouble with the ink bleeding. I am always careful that the printer's ink is thoroughly heat set with a hot dry iron, and let it set a couple of days before I try to launder it.

Were your foundations ironed (during construction?) with a hot dry iron to heat set the ink? Also...did you use any color ink besides BLACK? None of the colored inks are colorfast, and they definitely will bleed. If I want to add color to my printed labels, I will ink it by hand with Micron Pigma pens or use Bubble Jet Set to pre-treat the fabric.

I guess everyone needs to thoroughly test the ink from their own printer to make sure it won't bleed.
                            No Margo, I didnt heat set it when sewn, just used wooden iron between adding pieces. Will try yo :? ur tip with heat BEFORE I do it again|! LOL

Betty Jo

Comment

And while we are at it! I became a grandma on 1st Jan this year with Fia Elizabeth. Never thought it would happen as eldest of 4 is 40 now and granddaughter has joined eldest dd who is 36, she had given up hope years ago!

Still worth waiting for, even if she wont sleep more than an hour at a time, I am shattered, no wonder nature gives us a break at our age (well mine anyway!, 59 and too old to stay up all night!!!)

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1996 users online. 170 members and 1826 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X