Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Batting

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batting

I want to pre-shrink my batting, 50 % bamboo/50 % cotton. How do I do that? Do I just throw it in the washer then the dryer or what?

Are there instructions on the package for preshrinking it?

I've never done one with bamboo, but for Hobb's Heirloom, I put the (unfolded) batting in the washer with warm water and just let it soak (no agitation) for about 10 minutes then spin the water out. I then put it in a hot dryer until it's completely dry. Hope that helps.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

If you agitate it you will need to buy more batting. At least that's what I've been told.
      Frances

Comment

....and maybe a new washer. Can you imagine all the globs of batting?

Read the directions on the batting package! Some batts are not meant to be pre-treated. :!: If I had any doubt, I would not pretreat.

Also,it depends on your washing machine. I have a top load machine that allows me to fill with water and soak. Then I turn the machine to spin only so I don't agitate the batting. Front load washers dont' give you that option.

kim

Comment

Thank you all for your input. Helps me a lot. I have a front loading washer. What if I put it in the dryer on hot?

Comment

I would not put it on hot! Batting is large and there usually is one section that stays close to the heat source. That could do some heat damage to it. It WILL melt a poly blend. If you really are wanting to wash it, what a lot of quilters do, is soak it in the bathtub, let it drain in the washer (for quite a while) and then let the washer spin it. Then you can put it into the dryer, on warm. Did you not find any washing directions with the batting?

Dawn
            In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

I just found the cover sheet for a bamboo, silk, tencel (whatever that is) and cotton blend batting that I recently used. It says: "No prewashing required. Minimal shrinkage. Finished quilt may be gently machine washed and dried with cool dryer. Hope this helps!

Dawn

Comment

Hey Dawn, how did you like that batting? I'm thinking of using it for my Rosary quilt. Did you machine or hand quilt it? And after it was quilted, did it shrink any in the dryer?

Frances

Comment

If you're going to put the batting in the dryer, put a clean, damp washcloth or towel in with it. I'd put the temp on low or delicate. The damp cloth will also take any wrinkles out which is helpful when you want to sandwich your quilt.

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
                  Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

Comment

Frances,

Since most of my quilts are wall hangings, I never wash the batting or the quilt. But, here is what I can tell you about it. Since I do not have the space to sandwich and baste a large quilt, I sent it off to a friend to baste on her long arm. When it came back, it had "fuzzies" all over. I used my sticky roller to remove said fuzzies, and realized it just kept pulling out more. It was bearding. Since I had paid a premium for it, I figured it had to be good, and placed the blame on a "cheap" basting thread. So, when there were areas of my quilt that I needed to do some extra basting, I used a good needle and Masterpiece thread. It bearded!! But, I did not get bearding when I was machine quilting it. And, it quilted beautifully (4th of July close up in profile). So, I'm guessing you just have to find the right needle AND thread for this batting. I suggest getting a small piece first and playing with it, before investing in a larger size.

Dawn
                    In beautiful Northwest Montana

Comment

Thanks Dawn

Comment

I've used the 50% cotton & 50% bamboo batting and I love it. It's so soft and drapes beautifully, with no crease marks where you fold the quilt. I did prewash my batting the way that Margo suggested, but let it drip dry in my spare bathroom over the shower curtain rod wrapped with heavy body towels. I had no noticeable shrinkage, so am not sure prewashing was necessary.

If you plan to machine wash & dry the completed quilt, then maybe you want to shrink the batting in a warm (not hot) dryer, but not if you prefer the wonderful crinkly look you get with a little shrinkage after quilting.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2100 users online. 212 members and 1888 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                        Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X