Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Quilt Backing Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Backing Dilemma

Hello everyone. I made a big OOPS. I wanted to make a reversible quilt so I used large squares the size of the blocks on the quilt top to make the back. Just as I finished I had a lightbulb moment and realized I had make the back the exact size as the front. I know I need approximately 5 inches all around to quilt on the longarm or even a domestic. Can I add a temporary border then take it off when I am done quilting?
    If not I guess I can just use the back for a totally different quilt and start over on the back. Any Advice would be appreciated.

That would work, but there is a chance that by the time you have quilted all of it, the edges will probably have shifted some, and I seriously doubt that all the edges will line up exactly, so all four sides may need to be trimmed a little. If that's not a problem with your design, you could certainly give it a try.

I'll show you what I mean. I recently did this quilt on my long-arm. This is the pieced back and I was able to get the center of the back lined up absolutely with the center of the front. It was loaded so that I started quilting at the bottom edge of the quilt, and by the time I got to the top, the backing had stretched a little in the center, and you can see that the seam at the top is not exactly straight, but has a slight bow in it. If I had been more aware, I might have been able to ease in that 1/2", but it may have caused tucks in the backing, and I think that this is less obvious. If the top and backing had been the same size, this side would have needed trimming. As it is, this is the back, and I said that "finished is better than perfect!"

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Margo...that is the back of your quilt??!! Oh...wow!
      Sugarmuffin...yeah, what Margo said. If you can afford to trim a 1/2 inch or so off the front you should be okay.
      (My quilt fronts don't look as good as Margo's quilt backs...I'm done quilting... that's it...I'm packing up my machine and putting my stash on ebay)

Comment

Oh, no! Barbara, please don't go!! :wink:

I was just trying to show that it's do-able, but there are likely to be issues! I made my first quilt in 1963, so I've probably had more practice than you, and that's what it takes for most of us to produce more complicated projects.

I encourage everyone to do the best you can do with the skills you have today. Continue to learn something new with every project, and your skills will be better for the projects you do tomorrow!

Comment

Okay Margo...if you insist...I'll hang around... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Comment

Thanks Margo. I can't trim off the front so I think I will rethink the back. I have learned from this mistake but it isn't too bad as I can use the original back for a new top. Best mistake I have ever made. :-)
            Yours is beautiful even with the bow.

Comment

Comment

I am glad this subject came up because I am thinking of piecing my backgrounds. I suppose if I had thought about it, Margo, I would have realized that keeping the back lined up right could be challenging, but I may not have thought about it until I actually did the first quilt or two with pieced backs. :roll: Thanks for showing us your beautiful quilt back with the bow.

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                Betty Jo

Comment

visit sewingandbeyond.com and take a look at my friend MaryAnne Ciccotelli's quilt - "Generations Unite" She spent a lot of time getting the back and the front to line up. If you send her an email and ask for directions on how she accomplished this I'm sure that she'll give you some direction.

Teri
                  Teri

Quilting is a Beautiful & Complicated Art!

Comment

If it isn't a big deal about the block size; you might be able to split the back into four quandrants and then insert sashing to make it the size that you need. At least you would be able to use the back with a little "tweaking."

Comment

Drat...this means there isn't going to be a whole stash on ebay to buy!

Comment

...sorry Marion. I guess I'll keep my stash and I'll keep on quilting...no, trying. I'll keep on trying to quilt.

Comment

I wish I knew who originally said this so I could give them credit, but one of the sayings that I put on the GRAM SAYS quilt for my grandchildren is:

Whether you think you can, or think you can't....you are right.

With all the encouragement and help available here on the forum, and Sue's wonderful directions, I hope that everyone feels like they can make a Ruffled Roses quilt. We can do this!!

Comment

I have the same problem even though I don't make 2 sided quilts.

I like to attach my label before I quilt. I always cut away the fabric behind the label and place it in the lower left corner of the quilt.

My problem is that I find it impossible to layer the quilt top, batting and backing so that the label is parallel to the side and bottom of the quilt - it always looks a bit askew.

So far, I have solved this problem by attaching my label a LOT askew so that it looks like a design choice. And sometimes it is, but ...

I would like to know how to do it the right way.

BethMI

Comment

Hmmmmm.....I think that depends on how you are finishing your quilt, but because fabric DOES stretch, the only way to get around that is to wait until you get to that corner before you place the label and cut away the backing. Even if it's quilted on a long arm machine, the corner with the label could be just basted until the rest is finished, then fold back that corner to attach the label, and proceed to finish quilting over it. It would be awkward, but I think it's do-able.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1982 users online. 157 members and 1825 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X