Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Adding a Ruffle

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Ruffle

I am making a quilt for our granddaughter and would like to add a ruffle to the top and bottom of the quilt. I am not sure how to bind the quil if I sew the ruffle to the top and bottom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Deborah W

Debbie, Neat quilt!. You have to face the two sides with the ruffle, instead of binding it. If you want to bind the two sides without the ruffles you would do that before the facing, then sew the facing on with your ruffles facing toward the middle, catching the raw edge of the ruffle between the facing and the quilt. Then turn and hand stitch down the facing on the back, or you could face all four sides with a mitered facing that would look really neat on the inside of your quilt. If you want to bind it with a different color, you could add a narrow border the same width and color as the finished binding on the two sides with the ruffle before you add the ruffle to give an illusion of a binding, then bind the two sides, then do the facing. Hope this helps. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

Comment

Thanks Betty Jo. I will have find out how to face a quilt but now that I have your instructions I hope I can put the ruffle on it. Thanks for your advice.
      Deborah W

Comment

I have been reading about facing a quilt and have found a couple of methods that looks fairly straightforward. I am just wondering if, when the facing is turned to the back of the quilt, it shows like a regular type binding? Do I just stitch it down? Cutting it 2 1/2 inches seems like a lot of it would show on the back. Maybe I am missing something when I am reading the tutorials on this.
        Deborah W

Comment

It does show, but if it is neatly stitched down, it can add a lot to the back...looking kind of like a border, or you can do a very narrow facing that looks more like a binding. It doesn't matter how wide it is, it just has to look good and be stitched sturdily on the back. Wish I could show you in person. :wink: I can see it in my mind, but not very good at explaining it, I think. Here's a tutorial that shows you:
          http://fibermania.blogspot.com/2008/...ly-finish.html

and another
          http://www.bluemoonriver.com/HowToFaceAQuilt.pdf

It ends up looking kind of like a frame on the back. If you decide to bind the unruffled edges, however, you don't need to miter the corners, of course, but sew them down neatly. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

Thanks for the links to tutorials as well as the advice. I think I get it now and will give it a go after I get the top quilted. I wish you could show me in person as well but I really value the expertise of all on TQS and am so thankful for being able to communicate through the forum and the blogs.
            Deborah W

Comment

Please post pics of the finished results (both sides, if you want). It sounds wonderful. I'd like to see how the ruffle looks too. Cheers, BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1991 users online. 153 members and 1838 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X