Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Thinking about a digital drawing tablet

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a digital drawing tablet

I am thinking about buying a digital drawing tablet. There is a package for about $200 that includes Corel Draw 4, the latest Adobe Photoshop elements, which I need to update anyway, the additional needed software, and the Wacom bamboo. I'm wondering, is the drawing space big enough to use as an art quilt tablet? I'm thinking it might help me improve my quilt drawings, which is how I start making my art quilts. Do any of you use something like this? Any suggestions or cautions?

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
    Betty Jo

Hey BJ! I have a Wacom Bamboo pen/touch tablet and I love it! However, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't taken time yet to learn the PhotoShop Elements software that came with it. The drawing surface is only about 3-1/2" x 5-1/2", but it represents your entire computer screen. I just use it to try out quilting designs on quilt photos, and that alone has made it worth the purchase price for me. Attached is a picture of my neutral BOM that a friend of mine "whispered" for me. Obviously she understands PSE better than I do, but I manage the basics in MicroSoft Paint that came with my computer. Try it! You'll like it! Especially if you already understand PSE.

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
    That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Wow, Margo, that looks very interesting. I think I will try it. By the way, PSE is relatively easy to "master"...it's pretty intuitive I have found. I have a very old copy (4.0) of it, though and don't know how complex the newer version is.

Betty Jo

Comment

Margo, do you find that the small drawing surface means you have to use very tiny movements of the pen? I can imagine a small surface making my drawing very rough when it appears on my computer screen. Would a larger tablet make a difference this way?

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

I have two Wacom tablets. The Bamboo for use with my laptop, and a larger one for my home computer. I find no difference at all as far as size goes. My manual movements adjust to what I am seeing on the screen. I don't look at the tablet, I look at the screen. I use the tablet with Corel Draw and Corel Photo Paint. I find it most useful when painting with pixels or for photo retouch. I find it so comfortable to use that I sometimes use it when I play Free Cell. I say go for the tablet, you will enjoy using it. Betty Ann

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Betty Ann.

in Vancouver, Canada

Comment

This discussion has answered my questions on this. Thanks very much. Cheers, BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

No, the small work area on the tablet is no problem at all! I'm thinking that all design software programs allow you to zoom in, so if you need more detail, just click the zoom icon or slider! I have also found it a much more user friendly tool than drawing with a mouse when I digitize quilting designs for my Pro-Stitcher.

Comment

Now here's an interesting thought...will it work with Bernina embroidery design software?

Betty Jo

Comment

I don't know. I've never done embroidery, but if it involves drawing, it sure beats using a mouse!

Comment

After a bit of research and talking to several people who use them, I decided on a Wacom Intuos4 tablet. It was more expensive than the bamboo, but I want it to draw my art quilt basic pictures with and it seems to answer my needs. I found a deal where it comes with Corel Draw 11 also, and I ordered it tonight. It will take about a week to get here. I'll let you all know how well it serves once I get it and have a little time to work with it. Maybe I can get my knight on horseback quilt drawing done with this and design my quilting plans on quilts. I think I can also use it for embroidery design. Kinda spensive :shock: but seems it might be worth it. One more tool for in my quilting quiver. Cheers, BJ

Betty Jo

Comment

Good for you, BJ!! Let us know how you like it!

Comment

Using my Bamboo Pen Tablet for any length of time kills my arthritic hand. Just be aware if you have any hand problems 7 you're in a restricted position for a long time, the ouchies set in.

and Yes, it works with embroidery design software!

Comment

Does a ipad work with this also. I know nothing about this technology.
                            I just bought a fancy phone any am still having trouble answering the calls. Has lots of apps though. :lol:
                            Thanks.

Comment

I just got a XP-Pen Artist 12 Pro digital drawing tablet with screen 12" . It's just great playing round with Corel Draw software .
                              If you are a graphic designer or digital artist working with a tablet is more efficient and comfortable than a mouse, especially when you use it for longer period of time. You can make illustrations and vector art in software like illustrator or digital paintings in photoshop.

They are also used for making 3D sculpted models in softwares like zbrush and blender…

Other than that there are many other uses…like if you make educational tutorials than you can use the tablet to write handwritten notes.

In office they are used for taking digital signatures.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1577 users online. 236 members and 1341 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,194   Posts: 154,774   Members: 25247   Active Members: 1,497  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Best batting for art quilting.
                                Helen W. Thank you so very much for you messages! Wow they are so helpful. Some answers. The quilt is due May 4. The finished...
                                Susan D. Do you know how to do any hand embroidery stitches. If you look at my coloring book
                                page hanging above your...
                                Susan D, I do use warm and natural batting most of the time. Whether to quilt first or after the applique is on depends...
                              • MONTH 3 -- Show Your Progress Here
                                Alice I love your ideas here. It gives a whole different look to the quilt.
                                I have also been experimenting with some alternate choices. if you enlarge the photo there are 2 pictures to see. They aren't...
                                Helen I am sorry for jumping on this post. I tried to send you a private message but I couldn't. I am working on this wall...
                              • MONTH 1 — Ask Questions Here
                                I think you mean the Month 2 Block 1 blocks. There are 3 things we can do wrong when piecing blocks: the cutting, sewing,...
                                Jennifer, Could you post a picture of your 4 blocks that make up the center star? This was discussed in month 1 several...
                                Help! My Block 1 blocks are all too small by about 1/2". Any suggestions to correct the sizing? I can not bear to...
                                An alternate block idea...
                              • COLORING PAGE Available
                                Hi. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have been doing some travelling. I would love to share but the drawing is...
                              • Need advice re: bobbin quilting
                                Kati, Is the picture on your posting name the parrot? Pretty bird. Glad you got your quilt basted. I am using
                                Invisafil...
                              • No more items.

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X