Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

Mojo's gone again

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mojo's gone again

Can't figure it out-how does this happen? I love quilting, I really do. However, right now I enjoy reading about instead of doing it. Any advice? Please don't come back with Just do it. That hasn't worked so far.
    Thanks,

from the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY
    Gammill Classic Plus w/IQ

OK, just DON'T do it! Go read about it! Sounds like you need a break.

Comment

Hi Eileen, I agree. Don't push it. Just enjoy the reading. If what you read doesn't bring it back, at least you'll have lots of ideas to try when you all ready to quilt again. Or, you could try something very different -- you work on a long arm a lot, what about some hand applique or hand quilting? Perhaps while listening to some of Alex's podcasts? In any case, don't beat yourself up. Hugs, Robin

Comment

Easy to get lost "going down rabbit holes", as I call it. You are not alone! I just spent a good hour with Melody Johnson (she doesn't know it!) ops: ops:

Comment

How about going to a quilt show? I normally find by the time I get home I'm itching to get going again.

From Dorset, England

Comment

Just enjoy reading about it and chilling, you obviously need to recharge your creative batteries. Then, when you've had enough of reading, get some fabric out and stroke it, just enjoy the feel of it and see where it leads you. If it just leads you to an enjoyment of your fabric, then you're still recharging, just go with the flow. That's the joy of quilting as a hobby, you don't need to do it all the time to enjoy it

From Dorset, England

Comment

I agree with the rest, don't fight it. There is more to our lives than quilting. (Did I say that? ) It's just time to enjoy other things for a while. I took a break last spring and got very interested in geneology, but now I'm back to quilting and feeling a little bit guilty for not finishing up the geneology project. I'm just trusting that it's time will come again. Our hobbies should not become work!
              Cindy

From Dorset, England

Comment

Originally posted by Mandella
                How about going to a quilt show? I normally find by the time I get home I'm itching to get going again.
                My guild is having its show this coming Saturday/Sunday. I am looking forward to that!

Comment

Originally posted by PDQuilt
                  Easy to get lost "going down rabbit holes", as I call it. You are not alone! I just spent a good hour with Melody Johnson (she doesn't know it!) ops: ops:
                  I know what you mean :roll: I do the same with Elizabeth Barton.

I think part of the problem is that I have a couple of commission t-shirt quilts to do. It's very hard to work within the confines of another person's vision instead of your own. I do have a couple of hand projects that I'm trying to work on, one by Karen Kay Buckley and one by Kim McLean.
                  Please understand that I am not whining :| I am sitting here just wondering; it's a stream of thought kind of thing.

Comment

I understand completely because I feel this way sometimes. What gets me back is having a deadline for a baby gift, a quilt challenge or a block exchange. Also, I sometimes find a quilt pattern that is so irresistible to me that I stop everything to make the quilt top which often sits for a long time before being quilted.

I enjoy reading and researching quilts just as much as quilting itself. I also enjoy music and fine art just as much, but I don't play any instruments and I do not paint. You can admire and appreciate the work of others, without wanting to do the work.

Don't worry, you'll get your mojo back.

Comment

I think just relaxing about it all, enjoying the reading and thinking will help you a lot. Quilting is not something you should have to make yourself do. Perhaps you just need time to feed your creative thoughts by reading about it all and looking at quilts and patterns and just making a few practice pieces (throw away, free form) to keep your techniques brushed off (which in themselves may inspire you)--or make a couple of dog quilts for the local dog shelter or something that doesn't matter if it isn't great but is about the right size for a practice piece. The desire to make a new quilt will grab you one day and you'll be off and running again...perhaps working on two or three quilts at once. Cheers, BJ

"Neglect not the gift that is within you..." -1 Timothy 4:14
                      Betty Jo

Comment

Eileen, I know exactly how you feel. I find periodically that I get lost in, of all places, The Quilt Show. There have been times when I have just used my free hours to read blogs, watch videos, post on the forum, look at quilts in the gallery, etc. - everything but quilting. Sometimes it drives me nuts and sometimes I just go with the flow. Because many of my quilts these days are done for specific competitions, I find that having the deadline helps me, but only if I have a good idea first!
                        Taking a break from quilting and reading about it instead is kind of like reading a new cookbook without rushing off to the kitchen. Lots of vicarious pleasure to be had. Just enjoy yourself whatever you do.

Comment

It sounds like you have gotten a lot of good advice. When I lose my mojo I usually find a good book and read. Not a quilting book. Usually one of Nora Roberts (My favorite auther.) By the time I'm finished one or sometimes two books I'm missing being at my machine and creating. Good luck. I'm sure you will find your mojo soon. Nan in sunny and cool upstate NY

Comment

Nanquitls hit the nail on the head, so to speak! My advice exactly. Been there many times. One time it lasted 2 yrs. Go read something other than quilting articles. Quilt market in Houston is coming and out of that will be a lot of new stuff hitting the stores!

Barbara

Comment

I found my mojo after a few month hiatus. I cleaned up my sewing room, and reorganized my fabrics. That did it for me!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2855 users online. 508 members and 2347 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,234   Posts: 155,226   Members: 25685   Active Members: 1,318  
                              Welcome to our newest member, Sandra Taylor-set0747.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X