Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Forum Posts

Collapse

Trending Forum Posts

Collapse

• Happy Dance! I won ribbons!
    Home from the Maine Quilts show where my Color my World quilt, rename ‘Home,’ received 3 ribbons. I’m overwhelmed...
  • What I learned
    Well, here it is, the end of 2022, and I finally have finished my 2021 BOM quilt! I apologize that the photo is not centered....
  • Late at this but having difficulty
    Hi There,

I hope you can help me. I know I'm very late in getting to this point but life is finally allowing...
  • Adding house numbers
    I'm quite behind on my BOM, but now have all the tall buildings of the outer ring done. I would like to add some house...
  • Ahhhhh.. almost done! Have a question!!
    Hi all.. I am behind in my Color My World and just starting the skyscrapers... Does anyone have the finished size (with...
  • My Colorful World With Parks by Duffy
    My quilt is finish
  • Printing for paper piecing question
    For anyone paper piecing, is your quarter inch a tiny bit larger? When I’m trimming up the finished building, I line...
  • Paper piecing color my world…anyone else?
    I decided early to do paper piecing instead of the wax…I’m more comfortable . However, I have a few questions…anyone...
  • Video Access
    Will we have access to the Color My World videos after December 31st? I can't seem to find info on this.
  • New to The Quilt Show
    I am BRAND NEW to the Quilt Show and fell in love with this pattern. I downloaded all of the instructions. My concern is......
  • How to download pattern?
    I'm a new-ish star member and would like to download the "Color My World" pattern...but I can't find where to...
  • Quilting color my world
    See how I quilted Color My World and the added surprise quilting in Wendy’s border:

https://bbquiltmaker.b...
  • Getting outer circle to lie flat
    Hello - I know someone has solved this problem...I seem to remember a question arising when we put the inner circle together...
  • Great new way to see all the photos!
    Cap'n John showed me a new feature--you can see all the photos posted on any particular topic--at once.

Open...
  • Color My World Pattern - Download Heads Up
    I know Barbara has reminded us to download all files prior to the end of the year. I finished my downloads today and decided...
  • Color my world — your finish here
    Please use this topic to share your FINISHED top or quilt here. This will make it easy to see all the great quilts everyone...
  • Quilt is complete. Fun!
  • One World — This is Brilliant!
    Sunday Sew and Sews met today. Pam R. came up with a brilliant way to make One World—she used striped fabric!...
  • No more items.

What to do about bearding

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about bearding

Now that it is after the fact...the project is done and bound and as I was using one of the pet hair remover tapes I have gotten lots of bearding....lots of it. I used Dream Cotton (used it many time before) but I neglected to think about needing black batting in this quilt....needless to say it is sitting there screaming at me and I am not a happy camper. Anyone out there have any ideas of some sot of solution to this mistake?
    Or do I live with it? :? :? :cry: :cry:

Living in the beautiful Carson Valley of Western Nevada

I don't believe that there is anything that you can do to stop the bearding now.

Comment

Oh my that is so not what I wanted to hear....but what I have been very afraid of. Drat!

Comment

just like old men - the bearding will fade as it grows older.......i am VERY suprised it happened with cotton - i thought that was a poly thing -

Comment

Recently, Warm & White changed and is no longer 100% cotton. Now, it contains 12.5% of poly something, but you have to read the fine print to realize you are not getting 100% cotton. I asked the store clerk to cut some for me and it wasn't until after she cut it that I was informed that it had changed. Another store clerk walked by and said she didn't like it because it beards. I was not a happy camper, even though I got two yards for only $11 with my 50% off coupon.

So, is it possible that Dream Cotton has also changed?

Comment

Thanks to all who have had suggestions on the bearding problem. I realize that I can't have this quilt judged as it is so I am hanging it in my sewing room and keep it as a reminder that "stuff happens" and I have learned a lot by the experience. I just blogged about it and posted a photo.
            I am ever so grateful for the advice I received. I tried several fixits and to no avail. I am not terribly upset as I love the quilt.... so I will enjoy it and be reminded as I look at it that lessons were taught to me on this baby and I will do ever so much better next time around.
            Dana and Jenice , you both have really helped me so much and I am very very grateful....you are special ladies.

Comment

Nancy....I wondered if Dream Cotton had changed also. I suppose that is possible.
              Alex...I can hope that your old men comment is a truism! I actually tried using a sweater shaver and it did reduce it, but it is growing more peach fuzz as it hangs on the design wall. :?

Comment

kateM

Be sure to contact the manufacture and complain. Hopefully that may make them realize they have a dud on their hands..... It might save the rest of us in the future.

You mentioned having a black batting, do you think grey or black batting could have avoided the problem? I asked because I am making a quilt top and have been considering black batting.

Comment

Originally posted by KakeM
                  Nancy....I wondered if Dream Cotton had changed also. I suppose that is possible.
                  Alex...I can hope that your old men comment is a truism! I actually tried using a sweater shaver and it did reduce it, but it is growing more peach fuzz as it hangs on the design wall. :?
                  I just checked the Quilter's Dream website http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/user-guide.htm and it states that the Dream Cotton is 100% Cotton. However, the Warm Company's website http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html makes no mention of the 12.5% polyethylene in both their Warm & Natural and Warm & White cotton batting as it does in the fine print on the paper wrapping that comes with it, but it does state that these battings are 100% guaranteed and will not beard. We'll see.

Comment

I use Hobbs 80/20 batting almost exclusively, including quilts with black background, and have never had a problem with bearding. Having done some quilting for others, I have noticed that the same brand batting isn't always created equal, such as what a LQS may carry vs. batting from Joanns. Fi

Comment

Fiquilts, do you mean batting in the bag isn't the same as a quilt shop sells if it's from Joann's? I never buy it off the roll unless it's from a quilt shop, but I thought the bags were the same stuff.

Comment

AAAhhhhh...polyester batting....the gift that keeps on giving!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter
                        That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived !

Comment

Karen, I few years ago I attended a lecture on batting given by Helen Hargrave. I dug out my notes and from what she indicated a batting that is resin bonded is best to prevent bearding. She is a spokes person for Hobbs and really testifies their batting is one of the best on the market against the bearding problem. They have a new Tuscany line that may work for you. The wool and poly battings are resin bonded. Maybe call Hobbs and talk to a tech support rep and see if they can help you find the right batting so you don't have this happen again. I personally like the Quilters Dream Poly batting. I like lots of quilting in my quilts and use dark backs to show off the quilting. Quilters Dream Poly is great. I also use a batik type fabric on the back or a very tightly woven cotton. It has a higher thread count and also helps prevent those nasty little fibers from poking through. It drapes nicely and does not end up having that cardboard look and feel when you are doing heavy quilting. I am so sorry to hear you had a bearding problem. :cry:

Comment

Nancy wrote:
                            However, the Warm Company's website http://www.warmcompany.com/wnpage.html makes no mention of the 12.5% polyethylene in both their Warm & Natural and Warm & White cotton batting

Argghhh---foiled again ! Gee, I thought 100% cotton, meant 100% cotton. I try hard to stay away from fibers with any chemical components if we are going to wear it or sleep with it. Will have to use something else for DS's bed quilt.

Thanks, Nancy, for posting this---have to see if I have any labels left on the Warm & Natural I have around here.

Comment

Originally posted by CMOELLERS
                              I also use a batik type fabric on the back or a very tightly woven cotton. It has a higher thread count and also helps prevent those nasty little fibers from poking through. It drapes nicely and does not end up having that cardboard look and feel when you are doing heavy quilting. I am so sorry to hear you had a bearding problem. :cry:
                              You make an excellent point! Thread count matters. I recently took a quilt to a longarm quilter and we discussed bearding in regards to the Warm & White batting with 12.5% polyethylene. She told me that having quilted many quilts using all different types of fabrics and battings, she's only noticed bearding with a particular very popular brand of quilt cotton fabrics that has a lower thread count than most other quilt cottons.

I don't know how to determine the thread count when I'm purchasing fabrics. Once I heard that it's usually listed on the fabric bolts, but I've rarely seen it there.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2116 users online. 218 members and 1898 guests.

Most users ever online was 20,162 at 02:06 PM on 02-20-2024.

Forum Stats

Collapse

Topics: 8,226   Posts: 155,172   Members: 25583   Active Members: 1,288  
                              Welcome to our newest member, [email protected].

Latest Topics

Collapse

Trending

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X